Author Topic: Hand Feeding  (Read 6980 times)

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Hand Feeding
« on: August 08, 2006, 02:29:38 pm »

HI

I have a 17 week old Golden, he is a sweetheart, but lately he seems to only want to eat his food out of my hand.. 
It started with him wanting some of his food on the floor, seemed to get him started, then he would eat out of his dish. I would sometimes give him some out of my hand. Today, he only wants to eat his dog food out of my hand. This is really strange to me, any thoughts??  Will he out grow this. is it a really bad thing??  I have read that it can be good to have your scent on their food? But of course I can't feed him only with my hand forever.
Hope you don't all think I'm crazy, this has never happened before and I've had dogs for most of my life.

Thanks for any thoughts or help

Aimee

SA_horses

Re: Hand Feeding
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 11:37:48 pm »
bump

I don't have any advice, but hopefully someone else will.

Sofia

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:37:32 am »
How funny!  I used to hand feed Chester because he hates, HATES kibble and it was the only way I could get him to eat.  I changed the whole way I feed him, and the problem solved itself.  (I cook for both him and Cowboy).  On the good side, however, it does make a real bond between dog and person, even if you have to wash your hands after he eats!!!

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 05:51:30 pm »
Thanks for the help, I think I will try a new dish for him.
He's such a sweetheart, and I love him so much, I worry about everything.  I haven't been this much in love with a dog since the one I lost last year. Kind of scares me, do any of you feel this way, if I love him so much I something bad will happen..  Sorry, it just scares me.  He's such a little angel, sometimes I can't believe I've now had 2 of the most wonderful dogs I could ever imagine.

Thanks again for all the help

God Bless,   Aimee

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 06:01:45 pm »
I agree that it could be the bowls your using,but it is perfectly acceptable to be a worried frazzled MOM on this group.
Just don't let them see you sweat,if he thinks something is wrong comong from you there will always be something wrong.

the ol saying *it goes down the leash* works in the other direction as well.

Trust yourself and him and things will be fine.

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
NEW POST crating pup
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 05:10:25 pm »

My 6 month old Golden has now started chewing the wall of my bathroom where he usually sleeps. I bought him a crate today, but can NOT tell you how much I don't want to put him in it.  He is gonna be scared in it all night.  Guess I just want prayers for him, I have no other choice, I can't have him chewing the dry wall in the house.
Any thoughts would be good

Thanks,   Aimee

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Crate
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 05:44:16 pm »

Thanks so much for the kong idea, that's a great idea, I have one in the freezer right now I'll use it.
i just never crated a dog before, and feel like he's in a cage, I know that's lame but I just hate doing it.  God I don't want to sound like a whinny woman, but he's my baby ya know. guess I do sound like a whinny woman, so sorry

Thanks so much for you help

Aimee

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
The crate
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 10:40:15 am »

Just wanted to let you know, my pup did fine in the crate, seemed almost happy in there with his kong.  I had to do some shopping today and put him in again, so thanks for the help,
Probably harder for me than Remy for him to be in the crate.  We'll both get used to it.

Thanks again,

Aimee