Author Topic: What do you know  (Read 2371 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
What do you know
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:56:54 am »
about stys?  Cowboy had one on his lower eyelid about two-three weeks ago and the vet lanced it and gave him antibiotics fof a week.  Now he has one on the upper eyelid!  What causes it?  I think I'm just going to use hot compresses on it (because the thought of lancing it makes ME nauseous!!) Any other ideas??

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 04:21:23 am »
My mom always told me styes were from some dirt or something getting in the eye. I don't know how reliable she is though ;)

I feel for Cowboy. I used to get styes all the time. I'd just lock myself in a room and keep a warm washrag over my eye, and of course, make sure nobody saw my eye!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 05:49:22 am »
Whenever I get a stye, I throw all my eye make-up away, but I'm guessing Cowboy doesn't wear much eyeliner, huh? Tongue

No, not much!  He does, however, help me with mine.  Have you ever tried to put on mascara and have a giant Newf head nudge your elbow?  Mascara to the hairline!!  It's a look I haven't seen much in Vogue, but Cowboy and I are trying to start the trend!!! ::) ::)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 02:57:29 pm »
HOpe he feels better soon! Yes, styes generally go away on their own but warm, wet clothes well make if feel better. Sometimes they can itch too. Since he's had 2 on the same eye, I would start making sure his eyes are free from sleep in the mornings and throughout the day. Tears can trap dirt near they eye, and then when he blinks, it can get stuck on the eyelid. Just wipe his eyes with a damp cloth to get oil and dirt away. Hope this helps!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:55:06 am »
Thanks! It looks much better today and so I think it's resolving on its  own.  I've put the antibiotic drops in a couple of times....have no idea if it's helping, but it doesn't look worse!  He was in the shower with me today so I know his face is all clean!! :o :o