Author Topic: I soooo neeed some advice.  (Read 5189 times)

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
I soooo neeed some advice.
« on: September 12, 2006, 05:50:48 am »
OK here we go...  Does anyone have any advice on how to travel cross country from San Diego California to southern Indiana in a suburban truck ( at least that is a good thing ) with a 4 year old boy, a 16 year old boy, a 3 year old keeshound, an 8 month old mastidane, and a Chinchilla.   

Other than good luck and I'm glad it's not me.  lol
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: I soooo neeed some advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 06:24:33 am »
If the dogs are good travelers, I'd primary worry about keeping the kids entertained, or should I say the 4 year old!!  Just make sure that you bring plenty of water for all, in case you get stuck in traffic for some reason (happened to my mom).  And don't worry if the dogs don't want to eat, none of mine eat when we travel, they will drink but not much interest in food...unless it's McD's fries!!  Good luck!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 06:48:20 am »
The problem we have with traveling is my 3 year old daughter. She needs to be entertained constantly in the car. Make sure to have plenty of things for the kids to do. Like books, coloring, dvd player, snacks, etc.

When my mom and I drove to Tennesse from Nebraska it took 16.5 hours. We left late at night so my daughter would sleep most of the way. Also my mom and I took turns driving and sleeping. Kiah went with us and did great! She loves car rides!

Both my dogs travel very well. They don't eat much tho. Just make sure they get plenty of water and stop often for them to stretch their legs too. I did not need to medicate them.

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:00:22 am »
Sedatives...lo ts of sedatives. ;D

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 07:55:35 am »
I've never heard of giving Dramamine to dogs, I've always given Rescue Remedy...which does essentially the same thing. Also, Peppermint Oil on the pads of their feet (They like them and it gets in and settles their tummy) is a FABULOUS thing!

For the tots, as has been mentioned, lots of activities to stimulate thier minds.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA