Author Topic: my puppy problems  (Read 2182 times)

Offline aquariusf87

• Gnawer
  • Naiya
    • View Profile
my puppy problems
« on: September 16, 2006, 07:27:22 am »

I Just got my new German shephard puppy From the SPCA she is 3 months old. She use her potty pads pretty well, But thats not my problem, I know puppys bit & bark alot but I want to get her biting and barking under control before she gets bigger. She bites everyone really hard and I tried what the spca said do ( said NO or HEY in a firm voice, walk away) I want to take her to petsmart for "puppy training"  but I dont want to waste a $100 bucks and she keeps biting. I havent tried crate training yett, too scared she will bark to much I also moved into a 2nd floor apt and have to keep her barking to a min. so When I have to leave I just let her run around the house and sometime I come home to a mess. Is it too late to start crate training? And what about the biting? please Help!!!!
*INKIE*

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: my puppy problems
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:52:05 am »
The puppy class is worth it.  You'll be spending many years with this pup.  A training class now would not be an unwise investment for a happy future.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline slietz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: my puppy problems
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 10:51:50 am »
So great you are looking for help instead of giving up on Inky or allowing the bad behavior to worsen like so many people do.  I have two rescues, my first is also from the pound. I did a ton of research when I got him and still take behavior/training classes ~ the training is worth every minute and every penny. 

In addition to the behavior and obedience training (which helped his socialization immensely + his development intellectually), lots and Lots and LOTS of excercise was key to Buster's turnaround.

We really liked "The Dog Who Loved too Much" by Dodman (head of Tufts animal behavior science...) and Mother Knows Best by Carol L Benjamin...

Best of luck and Congrats on the new darling!! PS Here's Buster giving his Afghan brother a hug...