Author Topic: What drug for mild arthritis pain? Cowboy's limping...  (Read 2846 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
What drug for mild arthritis pain? Cowboy's limping...
« on: September 23, 2006, 10:55:55 am »
Cowboy is limping...he has arthritis in his front elbows. I completely drawing a blank as to what I can give him to make him more comfortable... .is it aspirin?  Sheesh!!  My brain leaks!!!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What drug for mild arthritis pain? Cowboy's limping...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 10:58:09 am »
You could use buffered asprin for the short term at least but I believe you can't use it long term as it affects their stomachs.   Hmmm I'll ask my mom she knows more about what to give than I do.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

k2campbell

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 12:22:23 pm »
Our neighbour has a 12 year old female Lab that has very bad athritis, but you'd never know it looking at her.  She even jumps the fence and gets out of the yard sometimes (ha ha) :D They give her Medicam, it's pain relief for dogs.  But, she doesn't buy it at the vet as it's expensive, her vet told her to buy the human form (it's called Medicam too), much cheaper.  Works great, the only side-effect I know of is that it CAN cause stomach ulcers.  But, Dakota (the Lab) is just fine on it - no ulcers ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 12:28:04 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions!  I was ABSOLUTELY positive I had some Rimidyl on hand...but of course that was my imagination.  I'll look for Medicam (is it just at any pharmacy?) to keep for days like this.  I think he just tweaked it playing with Chester...

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 12:49:43 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions!  I was ABSOLUTELY positive I had some Rimidyl on hand...but of course that was my imagination.  I'll look for Medicam (is it just at any pharmacy?) to keep for days like this.  I think he just tweaked it playing with Chester...

You're more than welcome ;) Yes, I'm sure Medicam is available at any pharmacy, maybe just phone your vet to be sure of the dosage amount (seeing as the human form is much cheaper, I'm sure you'd want to purchase that).  I hope Cowboy is feeling better soon, poor fella! ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 01:05:23 pm »
We do have a compounding pharmacy....th ey make up one of Cowboy's antiseizure drugs:  KBr!  As many time as I've told them the prescription is for a K-9, they can't remember NOT to add orange flavoring!!  Cowboy doesn't LIKE orange flavoring...mu ch prefers liver!! :P

I'll see if I can get him a prescription for the good stuff next week!

THANKS!!! :-* :-* :-* and hugs and drools to you all!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 01:38:44 pm »
My Mom said 2 buffered aspirins 2X a day on bad days would work.  Also she's heard that the Omega 3s in fish oil are supposed to be very good for arthritis as it's an anti-inflammatory.  Hope this helps.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties