Author Topic: Bo just had a seizure!!!  (Read 6334 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Bo just had a seizure!!!
« on: September 17, 2006, 10:17:34 am »
OK, so as if pancreatitis isn't enough, Bo had a seizure on the kitchen floor about an hour ago.  My husband was in the kitchen with her and said that it looked like she was trying to scratch her head with her paw, and then she went totally stiff and started shaking and her eyes rolled back in her head.  He called me in and we just sat with her while it passed.  It lasted a total of 45 seconds, and when she came out of it, she looked kind of disoriented, but seemed to be fully recovered in about 2 minutes.  I called the nearest emergency vet (ours doesn't have er service), who said that I should just watch her & take her to our normal vet on Monday.  He suggested that it might have been a hypoglycemic episode since she's been having all these problems with her pancreas.  I asked my vet about the possibility of diabetes, and she said that her blood work (taken two weeks ago) was fine.  I'm confused & anxious, so I thought I'd put it out to the board to see if anyone has had this kind of experience. 
Whew...thanks for listening.
Jenn & Bo

P.S.  Hopefully my next post will be good news & not have anything to do wtih Bo's health problems!!!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Bo just had a seizure!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 10:22:24 am »
Please give Bo a big hug from us.  I am so sorry that she is have so many trouble during the past few weeks.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 10:44:30 am »
I agree with your vet...just keep an eye on Bo and, like you've already done, note how long the seizure lasts.  If there is another one that follows quickly, that's the time to get to an ER.  It is SOO scary to watch but generally, from what I understand, it doesn't hurt as long as the dog is protected from hitting anything hard or falling down stairs.

Fingers crossed for you that all news is good news from now on!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:52:39 pm »
How frightening!...I realy hope Bo is in good health soon!...My sister's Collie had a seizure once but he never did again...Lets hope this is the case with Bo!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 03:53:48 pm »
Poor Bo! :'( It is sooo sooo scary when our puppers have seizures! You just feel so helpless! :'( When I used to live with my sister, her older American Eskimo dog would have seizures every now and then, poor guy. He would wake up and just not know what had happened to him.

I just wanted to say that I have been there during those kind of episodes so I know how scared you must have been. :-[ I hope Bo feels better soon, hang in there! Of course you are taking the best care of her that you can and that's all you can do. Please give her a hug from "Doghealer". :)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 10:29:17 pm »
Seizures can be associated with pancreatitis. When the enzyme levels become elevated during an acute attack there is possibility of having a seizure. Days after, however it can be difficult to pinpoint the reason because after an attack the enzyme levels do return to normal again. I am so sorry that you are going through this.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline FumbsAuntie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 11:36:08 pm »
Good Luck with the vet. That is awful, but at least the ER Vet didn't think it was serious enough that you needed to bring her down right away.. Please let us know what happens!

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:56:28 am »
Well, she seems to be doing better today.  She slept much of yesterday & last night, so I guess what I read about seizures making you feel like you've run the Boston Marathon was correct.  Our regular vet is going to see her today & run another blood panel.  She seems to think that the Clomicalm that she takes for anxiety might have lowered the threshold for seizures.  Uh, ok?  I didn't know that was a possible side-effect!!  We're supposed to wean her off of it over the next week.  Huh.  I am exhausted from weeks of her being sick and now the seizure thing...I am just a worried mess!!  Thanks so much for all the warm thoughts...I really appreciate having the BPO group as a forum to discuss concerns.
I'll keep you posted when we hear back from this latest round of lab work!
Jenn

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 07:53:57 am »
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hopefully the vet can get something figured out, so Bo feels better soon. Take care!

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 02:55:57 pm »
So sorry to hear that Bo is under the weather again/still!  Hope ya'll can get her back on track ASAP.  Meanwhile, big hugs to you!!!  I hope you'll keep us posted on how she's doing when you get more info.
Daphne

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 11:21:42 pm »
poor baby... I am sorry, i will keep him in my thoughts
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 10:23:56 am »
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words & thoughts.  We're still waiting on the lab results, so no news yet. 
Jenn & Bo

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 09:55:21 am »
Jenn,

Any info on Bo yet?  How is she doing? 

I am a retired paramedic....t o know when to take her to the emergency vet for the seizures...

.... anytime you observe any of the below... one seizure right after another without her being alert between them.  Mulitple seizures in one day.. Seizures that effect her breathing...(many do, if her respirations are effected keep an eye on the color of her membranes such as her gums.  If they turn blue, take her immediately)  Seizures that last longer than 2 min by the clock (all of them seem longer so check the clock).  Protect her from harming herself such as falling or banging into anything. Do not put anything in her mouth but try to keep her airway open.  If she clenches her teeth shut you will just have to ride it out.

Expect her to be disoriented and exhausted after a seizure.

Make note of what limbs are effected if it is not a full body seizure.  Also, repeated movement of any sort can be a seizure.  Make note of that sort of thing to see if there is a pattern.

Give Bo a hug for me and please do keep us posted.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 08:21:23 am »
Jackie-thanks for the great information!  So far, no seizures since the one (at least that I've seen).  She's off all medications now, so if she has another one, we can look into the possibility of epilepsy. 
Jenn

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 11:12:35 am »
Great news that there have been no more siezures!  Hope that she continues to feel better and recover from this rather long bout of problems.  Lots of hugs to beautiful Bo!
Daphne