Author Topic: hmm.. puppy play? or something to be worried about?  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
hmm.. puppy play? or something to be worried about?
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:36:45 am »
Hi all!  well.. usually when we go for walks other dogs are afraid of fumble, so it's always me saying 'leave it' about the other puppy and fumble sulking off because he's got no one to play with.  soo.. yesterday there was a golden at the beach and he didn't seem scared of fumble at all. so we let them socialize, and the golden stood real still, while fumble of course mr. social went around him sniffing.. and then, well here is my question, tail wagging, curled up, put his paw over the other dogs shoulder.. this did not make the golden very happy, who then in turn got upset and growled at fumble and tried to nip him.  was this a sign of fumble being agressive, or was he just being a 14month old and trying to play??? 

"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: hmm.. puppy play? or something to be worried about?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:40:53 am »
Golden huh! Angus' first run-in with a dog that didn't put up with his antics was a Golden as well. Seems Fumble was testing his place and guessed wrong with this guy.

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:43:46 am »
He very well could have been wanting to play. That is a frequent posture here, and generally leads to a rousing game of "chase me" or a wrestling match if they are in the house. The fact that the golden didn't want to play is too bad. I think you should bring him here to Illinois and Strider will run and play his legs off.
Stella

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:53:55 am »
Putting a front paw on a dogs shoulder is a dominant posture. The golden didn't want to be bottom dog, so the growling happened.
LA & Gang

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:55:46 am »
It sounds like Fumble just wanted to play. I've seen dogs do that at the dog park to each other and mine do it too. It usually leads to a game of chase or a wrestling match. Kiah says she'll be happy to play with Fumble. ;)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 05:57:56 am »
Kali does it to Lacey all the time when she's trying to be dominant except she pounces onto her  ::).  Sometimes it escalates but alot of time they just end up tearing around the house.  Fumbs is always welcome to come visit and play with Kali and maybe Lacey if it's only him.  We're planning to start installing the permanent dog fence next week but they could play in the horse field in the meantime.  So bring Fumbs for a visit.  We'll wear him out for you.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 06:14:12 am »
Hi,

WINSLOW IS big ON THE PAW SLAP. He meets a pup sniffs, waggs then tries to put a paw on the shoulder and the other pups usually give a growl or something he stops!! Sniffs waggs again!! then up comes that PAWone more time. I also think it is a Newfie dominance thing.

Kind of like driving here in New England, you know some one cuts you off, but they wave to you while doing it, (why do people do that a wave doesn't make it ok to be stupid) oops sorry for the rant.

Well I think the newfs are the same (as New England drivers) if I'm waggiin and sniffin maybe they won't notice I'm being dominant.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:36:43 am »
Jack does that alot.  I've always taken it as a dominance issue.  Not an aggression stance.  There is a big difference.  Jack has always tried to see if he can be boss.  Sometimes he gets away with it, sometimes he doesn't.  HAHAHAHA mostly he doesn't. 

I'm curious, what was Fumble's reaction to the growl?

Tina

fumble just kinda looked at him... didn't growl or bite back.. he's such a nonchalant dog! could care less! tail kept wagging... and then he kept barking and crying to play but we had him on a tight leash after the first growl.
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 07:31:45 am »
Kingsley does that all the time, too. First it's the paw, then if the dog doesn't do anything about the paw, he mounts. The other night at the dog park he tried to put a paw up on the hybrid that comes there a lot. Let's just say that the hybrid did NOT appreciate it.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 09:29:12 pm »
First is to Eiren, I would say it's a dominence thing however Fumble is not aggressive about it the only thing you can do is commute to Kali or have Kali commute to Fumble. Mom and Auntie are great but it just isn't the same as another big paw.

To Rich Ever hear the expression "MASSHOLE", you and your neighbors from the Commonwealth do have a certain reputation. Tim
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:30:19 pm by Tspanos »

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 11:19:09 pm »

Kind of like driving here in New England, you know some one cuts you off, but they wave to you while doing it, (why do people do that a wave doesn't make it ok to be stupid) oops sorry for the rant.

Well I think the newfs are the same (as New England drivers) if I'm waggiin and sniffin maybe they won't notice I'm being dominant.

HAHA! that's me during tourist season! :)