Author Topic: Any good big dog cooling, non-fuzzy beds/mats?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Any good big dog cooling, non-fuzzy beds/mats?
« on: September 15, 2006, 08:36:26 am »
Rosie is the typical long-haired Newf. Naturally, she gravitates toward laying on the coolest surfaces in the house, which turn out to be the wood and tile flooring. I worry that her joints and bones are always in contact with a hard surface and have no cushioning to protect her. She does have a thin foam bed but it warms her up even more and she won't lay on it for longer than a few minutes before going to the floor. I've heard of gel cooling mats but have heard some bad reviews.

Have you guys ever used these gel/water cooling mats and have they worked for you? What brand are they? If not, then what other options can we look into to keep Rosie off the floor?
Rosie - Newfoundland

mjjensen

Re: Any good big dog cooling, non-fuzzy beds/mats?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:50:26 am »
 Coolaroo makes a raised mesh dog bed which might work for Rosie.

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 01:04:48 pm »
We have a coolaroo bed. Puck loves it.  He didn't for a while b/c Farley peed on it ::) Even Farley and Rosie use it. The price was good too. I think I paid around $35-45  Canadian.

I have it outside right now for them. It dries very quick if it gets wet.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 01:08:04 pm by Icerotti »

Offline FumbsAuntie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 01:29:08 pm »
They also have a canine cooler mat http://www.pets4you.com/pages/canine_cooler/index.htm
its a little like a water bed, you fill it up and apparently it stays cool. we got one last year at xmas and it had a hole in it.. but the breeder also said that we should wait until Fumble is out of the puppy stage..so we are waiting to get another one.. 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 04:14:17 am »
They also have a canine cooler mat http://www.pets4you.com/pages/canine_cooler/index.htm
its a little like a water bed, you fill it up and apparently it stays cool. we got one last year at xmas and it had a hole in it.. but the breeder also said that we should wait until Fumble is out of the puppy stage..so we are waiting to get another one.. 

I don't think the canine cooler mats are meant for the giant breeds like Newfs.  We tried them twice...and each time they 'popped'!  Five gallons of water all over the bedroom floor!

They are great in theory, though!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 04:14:49 am by newflvr »

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:41:29 am »
Our Newfie also heads toward the coolest sleeping spots.  In the summer, that is usually in the shower.  I put a few wet towels in the shower before he goes in.  After he is asleep, I go in once and a while and put more water on the towels.

He has so much fur, he doesn't usually get wet on his skin.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua