Author Topic: Need tips from Pyrenees experts ;-)  (Read 8850 times)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: Need tips from Pyrenees experts ;-)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 05:04:03 am »
Along this line... They will not quit barking at things other than what they precieve as a threat.  One of the things a good guardian does is bark, just to announce to the world that they are on duty.  They mark things for the same reason, walking their path that they patrol and mark every few feet.  The smell from the urine means danger to predators.  They will also kill off small animals such as rabbits, squirrels etc. and eat the entire carcass.  If the number of small prey animals is cut down, then the Pyrs job is easier as the area will not draw as many predators.

On the barking issue.  I was in a bind once and had to have 4 Pyrs in town.  Experienced guardians at that.  My neighbors never once complained as their adult voice is such a mutted sound that it is not irritating.  However I think I was just lucky to have neighbors who understood.  After a while that barking can be interpreted.  One bark for danger, one for annonuncing they are on guard, one for someone out here is in trouble and you need to get your butt out here mom and check it out.  The neatest thing is, when my dogs are barking at night, I sleep like a rock as I have the security of knowing that my livestock is ok.  But no matter how sound I sleep, I come up out of that bed when the mom get your butt out here bark is sounded..lol

I moderate a site just for Pyrs as guardians.  We have had many show and pet owners join us as the guardian owners seem to have a better insight into thier dogs behavior because they understand their character.  You are welcome to join us there if you like.  We have some very knowledgable guardian owners there.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PyrTalk/

Jackie

Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 11:21:51 am »
Thanks so much, Jackie. I will definitely check out that site. :)

Cricket, I do live in a little neighborhood. I am the last house at the end of my street, but my next door neighbors' window is about 3 feet from the edge of my fence... and they have little kids, so I am thinking that might be a bad combo! I think we will just live here until I can buy a house so hopfully not too long. :) Then I can have a dream home where I can cater to the needs of all my furkids! :D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 06:56:37 am »
One of the things a good guardian does is bark, just to announce to the world that they are on duty. 

I LOVE THIS BARK.  IT IS NOT CONSTANT, IT IS A FEW WOOFS HERE AND THERE, SPACED OUT THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT.  IT SAYS, "I'M HERE, STAY AWAY."

They will also kill off small animals such as rabbits, squirrels etc. and eat the entire carcass.  If the number of small prey animals is cut down, then the Pyrs job is easier as the area will not draw as many predators.

I'D NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE! 

their adult voice is such a mutted sound that it is not irritating. 

I AGREE.  I'VE MET A FEW PYRS WITH OBNOXIOUS VOICES, BUT MOST OF THEM HAVE A DEEP, MUTED, COMFORTABLE SOUND.  IT IS NOT YAPPY AND OBNOXIOUS.

The neatest thing is, when my dogs are barking at night, I sleep like a rock as I have the security of knowing that my livestock is ok.  But no matter how sound I sleep, I come up out of that bed when the mom get your butt out here bark is sounded..lol

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!  IT DRIVES DH NUTS THAT I CAN SLEEP THROUGH IT WITHOUT EVEN HEARING IT.  WHEN THERE IS A PROBLEM THOUGH, I'M IMMEDIATELY AWARE AND AWAKE.  THEY'VE GOT ME WELL TRAINED! ;)

Daphne

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Need tips from Pyrenees experts ;-) - Me, too!!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 08:42:20 am »
I struggle with the barking issue, too.  Although Bo is the product of a BYB, I know that her father was a working dog on a sheep ranch, so her guarding instincts are pretty strong compared to her mom, who was a non-working Pyr.  For the first two years of her life, Bo lived on a 27 acre ranch with two other (older) Pyrs and her barking was never considered a problem.  We bought a house last year in a somewhat rural neighborhood, but the neighbors aren't Pyr friendly.  They complained, so we can't leave Bo outside unsupervised.  She, too, barks at ANYONE or ANYTHING coming near the house (birds, people, especially other dogs, and diesel trucks-not sure about that one).  Pyrs don't really excell at obeience, and usually consier your commands more of a request that they have the option of not doing!  In our case, we have trained Bo to come (most of the time) when she starts barking and treat her really good when she does so that helps to redirect her.  When all else fails, we also use a squirt bottle with water to get her attention and let her know that the barking is unnecessary.  She HATES it, but it's the only thing that I can use at a long distance. 
I wish I could leave her alone outside, where I know she would prefer to be, but since I have to live in this neighborhood for the time being (until I can afford a larger piece of property somewhere with no neighbors!), I've got to figure out what the path of least resistance is. 
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 12:36:56 pm »
I currently have 3 Pyrs and they are all fascinating- The old lady who is 7 was rescued in April- she has decided that her job is to protect the drive way. It is her job and she takes this job seriously.When she goes out the back door- she runs around to the side of the house and starts barking- she is announcing that she is on patrol. The youngest Pyr barks like mad when the coyotes are prowling the property. Her name is Bella and she really hasnt figured out what she is doing and why. Then I have Zoey, she will be a year in January. She is intense. She insisted that I hold her constantly until she was about 5 mos old- then she became more independent and she is way too heavy to pick up anymore. She only barks when there is a threat and usually our threats are coyotes. She growls more than she barks and when we the coyotes are only the property- it is one bark- then a low growl and she charges to where ever the coyotes are roaming. Bella will follow her barking and usually there is at least one Great Dane that is part of the the "pack" that chases the coyotes.

Pyrenees are unique. Learning the different barks are a part of owning one- Hopefully what ever yours perceives as the threat will eventually no longer be a perceived threat-
Good Luck- but I have to say I will always own at least one Pyr, especially living out in the country.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 01:13:23 pm »
Thanks for all the insight on Pyrs, you guys.

Today Mokey broke our front window "guarding" our house from a stray cat. ::)

Anakalia

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 01:21:09 pm »
Thanks for all the insight on Pyrs, you guys.

Today Mokey broke our front window "guarding" our house from a stray cat. ::)

OH NO!! Is she ok?  I think she may be taking this guarding thing a little too seriously!  :o lol  A stray cat wouldn't have hurt her or you but broken glass will!  I hope she's ok.