Author Topic: Help... Bee Sting???  (Read 3401 times)

bigdogs@5501

Help... Bee Sting???
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:57:08 am »
Bella has been stung by something. Bee? Yellow Jacket? Wasp?? I have called the vet. She has advised me to give Benadryl and watch her closely for breathing problems. She sounds horrible but I think that it is because her nose and nostrils are so swollen. Any one had to deal with this before??

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Help... Bee Sting???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:59:39 am »
Awww, poor baby!!!! :-[

I have had one of my dogs stung before but I knew it right when it happened and I gave benedryl right then, before there was any allergic reaction.

I hope she feels better soon! :-*

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 11:59:40 am »
Poor Bella!!! Hopefully the swelling will go down soon.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:03:51 pm »

I have always treated bee stings homeopathicall y and the swelling as subsided immediately with the proper remedy.  My girl Skylar got stung this summer and since I was able to find the stinger and remove it, I also cleaned the area and applied calendula as well.

Given the facial swelling that is affecting her breathing however she would have already been at the ER if it were me.  I don't mess with anything affecting the breathing like that and still can't forget the Golden I saw in the ER last year who had been stung by something and swelled up like a balloon - she ended up being hospitalized there for 8 days!!!

At this point, if you have had her home and things are getting better, not worse, than I would use a homeopathic remedy and watch her closely.  If you aren't familiar with homeopathy you may want to read up on it for future issues.

Good luck
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:04:25 pm »
Yup I did with my foster Lab and his entire head was swollen and he got hives on his back. His breathing was a little funny. But he was still breathing OK. What I watched for was if he had trouble/ was struggling to breath. The swelling was down by the next afternoon.

It is super scary, but your pup will be fine.  :)

edit: I didn't know about the benedryl treatment so I took Cody to the vet, they gave him a shot of antihistamine (sp?) and a steriod.

Nina
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:07:08 pm by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Luvmydanes

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 12:26:26 pm »
Poor puppy!!! I hope she feels better soon, keep us posted!

Kirsti

K
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 12:27:10 pm »
Oh my!! Poor girl!! My girl, go's after bees and wasps (she has never gone after anything before not even balls, or frisbees) I think she got stung once, but she didn't swell like that. I hope Bella get's to felling better and learns to stay away from those nasty bugs that sting.  :-\

~K

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 12:28:59 pm »
Poor little lady, I hope that she feels begtter soon :)
RIP former BPO

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 01:29:11 pm »
We had a pup get stung by a hornet right on the nose like bella.  We called the vet and they said the same thing benadryl and watch his breathing.  It swelled up really big but was back donw to normal size the next morning.  I think it bothered us more so than him.

I hope that your baby getts to feeling better soon.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 02:44:43 pm »
Oh I hope Bella is feeling better.  Dixie had a sting and benadryl fixed her up in a few hours. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 03:31:32 pm »
Our Setter used to get stung all the time and her nose would get huge but it always went down in a couple of hours.  I know a good home remedy of baking soda with a little water to make it a paste works well on humans not sure how well it'd work on dogs though. I hope her nose returns to it's normal size quickly and that she learned her lesson although Sammy never did ::).
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

bigdogs@5501

Re: Help... Bee Sting??? -UPDATE
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 11:52:11 pm »
This morning - she is much better, a little swelling - but much better. She never had labored breathing, the breathing was that the nose was swollen so she sounded like she was snoring- And I have my vets personal cell phone number and we had already spoken and she was advising me on what to do and what to look for thankfully- now hopefully this little lady wont mess with stinging insects anymore.