Author Topic: New and My Dog CLyde has seizures  (Read 2445 times)

Offline greeg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New and My Dog CLyde has seizures
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:37:01 am »
Hi Everyone,
I'm happy I found this forum! My dog Clyde, A german Shorthaired Pointer is 9 years old. He began seizuring last April. So far he has about 8 seizures. He just had one grand mall 2 days ago. I'm trying very hard to give him natural rememdies to help lessen the seizures. Clyde also has liver problems, So I do not want to put him on meds that harm the liver. Let me tell you alittle about my gentle Giant. Clyde is so gentle and so sweet. He loves to be hugged and have his paws rubbed. If I'm sitting on the ground, he will always come over and sit right on my lap. I can't tell you how terrible I feel when he seizures. My heart breaks to see him go into these terrible episodes. BUT, I have to remain calm, and help him through it. 2 days ago, I saw him begin his seizures, I walked over calmy to him , sat next to him and as his big body went into the seizures, I petted him and talked to him soothly. When it was over, I would say his name, and he began to react to my voice. I continued to pet him and be Very calm and let him know all is o.k. even though he did not understand what just happened. Now, In reality, I was freaking out inside. I'm so afraid for him and hate seeing him go through this. You can't help but cry, well, at least that is my release.

I'm so happy I can come here and talk to others who know how terrible these seizures are. He has been fine the last few days and if he continues on this path, I will not see another one till maybe 2 months. :'(

I have a total of 6 German Shorthaired pointers. Clyde is my biggest baby, and the closest to me. It takes me a few days to come out of my depression for him, I'm glad he doesn't know how I feel.

I am the only one who feels this way, sad for him,  some believe what is he worth seizuring,  have him put down, I tell you how terrible I feel when people tell me that, I would never do that to my Gentle Giant Clyde.

Thank you all for letting me share my story, I hope to make new friends here. As for now, Clyde and me are doing o.k. He is on Vitamins, NAtural seizurer meds, now I will watch out for wheat in his food.

Bye for now
Greeg

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New and My Dog CLyde has seizures
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:44:56 am »
Well welcome to the board!!  And you must tell us about your other dogs too!!  They WILL get jealous!  And Clyde does know that you feel for him, trust me, he knows!!  As long as you are keeping him safe and calm during his seizures he will be fine.  To the people who say those things to you ask them if they would put an epileptic child to death?!  It's epilepsy, not a terminal illness.     

Anyway, welcome, I'm Heatherton and I have Daphne, a boxer and Stone, a siamese mix.  Have fun, post often, post pics if you are able!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:12:20 am »
Welcome!  My dog, Bo, had a seizure on 9/18.  She's only 3 and it was the hardest thing EVER to have to watch!  The vet thinks it might have been caused by the Clomicalm she was on for anxiety.  She hasn't had one since, THANK GOODNESS!!  There's some great information on this forum about seizures and how to deal with them, so you are in good company!
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline greeg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:18:53 am »
Thanks so much, I'm just learning about Melatonin. I think I'll start Clyde on this this evening. I'm egar to learn as much as I can for him and me!

My other dogs are
Duke, the daddy of Clyde
Greeott, Sister to Clyde
Cloudy the brother to Clyde and greeott
Goolie, the sister to Clyde, Greeott, and cloudy.

All are spoiled dogs and I sure love them!

As soon as I can I will try to post a picture of them all.

Greeg