Author Topic: Poison Oak! Our Dog Get's it and there for We get it Please Help!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5042 times)

waffles717

  • Guest
oin ??? ??? :-\Hello,Anyone have an anwser about poison oak, you dog play's in it Rub's near or on you rrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrcc cccccccccccccc cccccccccccccc cccccccccccccc cccccccccccccc cccccccccccccc cccccccccccccc cccccccccccis there a spray for her?to keep this off we are trying to keep the yard cleen,is that the only way?is any to put on her to prtect her from give it to me?marylee thank you!so much!!!!

Offline jabear

  • Moderator
  • Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
  • *****
  • Posts: 4629
    • View Profile
I had a poison oak scare not too long ago and the pharmacist said the dogs can't get it but you can get it from their fur. SO, wash Maggie carefully so that you get everything off of her and dry her well. You shouldn't get it if you are careful and clean the things she touched like your clothes, etc.
How did she get it by the way?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

  • Chief "All Knowing"
  • *****
  • Posts: 2099
    • View Profile
Sounds itchy  :-\ We dont have a problem with the poison oak, so I cant say I know much about it. if it is only on the fur, well the only thing I can relate to is hubby. He works for a land surveying company, he is in the office, but from time to time he has to go outside when there is a problem with a job, and it seems like every time that happens he gets himself into poison ivy. The guys who work outside all the time, says that the only thing really is to rinse off real well. When he comes home he doesnt even let Jennifer give him a hug until he has been in the shower and all the clothes goes straignt in the washer. So Id guess the same goes for dogs, rinse her well before she gets the chance to share it with you all.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline kildeskennel

  • Paw-meister
  • **
  • Posts: 516
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
We have poison Ivy all over our propertyi nt he woods, but I have never had in in 12 years livingh ere, my hun and kids have a few times, hun more than kids, he is very sensitive to this.  Unless it is growing in your yard, (is so get rid of it, DON'T BURN IT, that can cause a reaction the like of which you have never seen!) or your kids is running around in the woods, bathe her well and you should be fine, if walking in the wooded areas, recognize the plant and its BEAUTIFUL white flowers and Stay away from it,  (I say beautiful flowers as I picked a boquet shortly after movingh ere, stopped to use the natural bathroom in the woods, picked some flowers brought them to the car, honey almost climbed out the window.  Needless to say I had SQUATTED in the middle of a huge IVY patch! Never did get it THANK YOU LORD!)   ::)  There is also lotions and skin protective creams you can use, avon, skin so soft has on my husband uses with success as he is an avid woodsman! 
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Newf Lover

  • BPO Fanatic
  • ***
  • Posts: 816
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Poison Oak is a West Coast thing.  I think Poison Ivy is just a Midwest/South thing.  FYI - Poison Oak grows mostly at the base of Oak trees (thus the name) and around bodies of water.  IT REALLY SUCKS!!!!  I got it many-a-time growing up, but have been vigilant in avoiding it now that I'm an "adult".  Drake loves to play in water, big surprise for a Newf, and goes plowing through Poison Oak bushes all the time.  The problem is, you can't wash your dog every day, especially a Newf.  It messes up their fur and gives them skin problems.  The best thing to do is thoroughly wipe your dog down with damp towels after they have been exposed to Poison Oak and then shed your clothes, wash them and shower yourself.  According to my late stepdad, who was a Dermatologist, you have approx. 30 min. to clean off Poison Oak before a rash forms.  It's the oil on their leaves and stems that cause the rashes.  The oil production gets worse as the Summer gets hotter and Poison Oak goes from green to purple leaves.  It is still present when the leaves fall off and the plant is just bare branches.  God forbid you get any of that horrible plant on your privates or in your eyes!  Some people are unaffected by it and claim they can roll around in it with no problems, but most people aren't like that.  The best thing to do to get rid of Poison Oak is spray it with Roundup[/color]  You can find it at most Hardware stores and nurseries.  It really works and will get rid of P.O. quickly.  Good luck!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 04:32:02 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline mastiffmommy

  • Chief "All Knowing"
  • *****
  • Posts: 2099
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for that information Newf Lover. So I am on the east coast, which I guess means I dont have to worry about poison oak??!! Do you have the same amount of wisdom when it comes to poison ivy???? That would be really great......... :D

My skin is real sensetive and I cant get near stuff like that without getting a bad itch. So I do my very best to stay away from all itchy bushes and plants. Hubby gets all red and itchy too from the poison ivy. I barly know what the plant looks like, I ought to research some.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

waffles717

  • Guest
http://Big Thank you I am going to the store  today!!!!!!!!!

waffles717

  • Guest
I Got Poison Sumac from pulling it out off the ground,my hubby got a little poison ivy, it Borders the fence so i thought best way to get rid was pull it,and she has a coon tail I was worried about geting rid with maggie While Vac, we have the gardner do it!!!!marylee Big yard!!!!!!! :D 8) :-*