Author Topic: Blowing the coat  (Read 26115 times)

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Blowing the coat
« on: March 20, 2005, 01:26:16 pm »
Does anyone have any sure-fire tips for the "blowing the coat" time of year? I've read that baths help (and it does for our shiba inu) as well as good, regular brushings. Any other tips? Special "wonder" brushes or grooming tools?
Thanks - Teresa
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Lorrie

Re: Blowing the coat
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 07:26:56 pm »
Any other tips? Special "wonder" brushes or grooming tools?
Thanks - Teresa
Bathing does help, and we also use a shedding blade.  That helps a lot, but suggest using it outside as the fur flies when used.
Lorrie

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 09:12:06 pm »
I agree with the already stated suggestions..
here are some more...I use these with my samoyed who is a double coated dog and about this time of year starts dropping what looks like pups all over the furniture and carpet ;D lol

anyway an undercoat rake, a pin brush and a dematting rake all work wonders as well.

Good Luck

Christi
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 12:56:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a miracle cream ... one bath and -tah dah- the undercoat is off.
Teresa ... daydreaming
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline coolsocks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 05:20:30 pm »
I highly recommend using a blower along with the bathing and other grooming tools. I have an Alaskan Malamute and a Siberian Husky. I will never be without a blower while I own a northern breed. Infact, I have several neighbors and friends who also have northern breed dogs that borrow mine. It's a really great investment.

Jennifer T. in MI

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 11:02:51 am »
Hi I bounced over from the Kuvasz section, My Kuv's blow coat once a year and with the long white thick double coat it is truly a mess.  We have not found anything except brushing numerous times daily almost everytime we sit down to watch TV or read with the kids that will decrease the ammount white hair around the house.  It is just oneof those things I think.  The first year Beauty blew her coat I was like "WOW"  I told my husband I was sure she was going to be bald!  I buy my pet food at a specialty store and she recommended trying her on Solid Gold SeaMeal, which i did and have used ever since, it helps tremendously with shedding in general and her coat looks and feels healthier, but once again that yearly blowing out just happens.  I don't use anything but a wire brush or metal combs on my dogs.  A shedding blade it hard on their coat and if you show them its not recommended. We mist the dogs down good with water leave in hair conditioner and use a meaal comb with the teeth pretty close together, it helps to keep the hair from flying around and is beter on their coat than dry brushing which can cause the hair to break off and gives them a fuzzy look in spots.  I considered making a HUGE pillow out of last years blown coat but my husband thought I was insane!  I may do it yet and give it to him for a birthday present, I bet he would love it!

Does anyone have any sure-fire tips for the "blowing the coat" time of year? I've read that baths help (and it does for our shiba inu) as well as good, regular brushings. Any other tips? Special "wonder" brushes or grooming tools?
Thanks - Teresa
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 11:05:02 am »
I should clarify about the shedding blade, its not recommended for Kuvasz, I did not mean Akita's or other breeds. ;D
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 11:49:31 am »
When working as groomer I did way more "de-shedding" than I ever wished for lol..... I was coughing up fur balls lol....
Sometimes I got in dogs with sooooo much coat and that were so little cared for by the owner, so I had to spend several hours de-shedding. Usually if they were not matted, I started with a regular slicker brush, just to go through the coat, then started from the back and worked my way to the front, lifting a little bit at the time, with a undercoat/underwool rake or comb. That usually gives you a trashbag full of hair. Then a warm bath, with at least two shampoos, towel dry and then while blow drying use the slicker brush and undercoat rake again. When dry they are ready to enter the coach, and mommy does not have to have a fit lol...

Hope you can get some use of this.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline new2saints

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 02:16:21 pm »
Has anyone tried the Mars Coat King?  I have heard it works really well when they are blowing their coat?  I have not tried it, but was recommended it for my saint.  She still has the puppy fur, but I was thinking of trying it when she gets older.

new2saints

Offline new2saints

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 04:41:41 pm »
What does the shedding rake look like?  Thanks,

new2saints

Offline new2saints

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 09:09:17 pm »
Oh, yeah I have a shedding rake and it works really well.  I get handfuls of hair everytime I brush her.  I went to the Mars King websiite, and they do make wider blades.  Do you think that would make it easier to use or not?  Thanks,

new2saints

Offline PrettySurvivor

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 03:56:46 pm »
I know Im horribly late w/ this reply, but I just had to tell ya, don't make the same mistake I did, lol.  I came home from vacation about two weeks ago & decided it was time for Giz to see a professional groomer as he was just reaking from the kennel smell.  Now mind you I had no idea what I was getting into, being as this was his 1st time w/ a groomer (he refuses to let me give him baths these days) & it never occurred to me that he was going into the seasonal blow-the-coat.   Well the groomers as wonderful as they are & as good smelling as he was... they blow dryed him (possibly w/o a good rake brush down).  Good for him, bad for me... for the last two weeks (its worse then usual during the shedding period) his hair has been everywhere.   I dont know why, but the blow dry part seems to have loosened every single hair on his precious body, I feel like I have been wearing a new fur coat & my vacuum has never seem such a work out,lol.   Stick w/ brush-outs & baths til you get thru the blow-the-coat season, expect it every 6 months or so.  Good luck.  lol.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 04:01:18 pm by PrettySurvivor »

Offline thimbles4me

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 01:22:29 am »
I am new to this list but have to add a comment.  I have a Akita mix (with belgian shepard and chow) when she blows she gets combed out about six or seven times a day and she loves it. 
Hubby gets up at 4 and does it then my son does it before and after school and my daghter does it when she takes her turn an hour later before she goes to school and comes home. During the day if I am bored I comb her  out and hit all the spots the kids miss and again in the evening after everyone is in bed I will comb her.
She is so passive and just lays on one side then when she thinks that side is done she turns over for the other side.
I aslo try to run the vacume hose over her when I vacume she doesn't care much for that but she will hold still for me.  If she sees me get it out she runs and hides in her room (her crate) ;D
Diane

BabsT

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 02:17:00 am »
What a stunning animal!  Beautiful

Offline tinks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 12:59:34 am »
Find yourself a good strong blow dryer...and blow all that coat out. You will be brushing forever if you try to get it all out with a brush!! The blower gets in there and it seperates all that undercoat that is just sitting in there and get rid of all of it. It may take you a good hour or so to really get it all good and blown out...but it is so worth it in the end because it last!