Author Topic: Blowing the coat  (Read 26044 times)

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Blowing the coat
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 03:03:38 am »
I just got a furminator comb and I love if for blowing coat. I thought I had gotten all of the hair with the undercoat rake,but there was a lot more to come out. After I finished with both dogs, they aren't leaving the hair bunnies around the house that we normally have.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 04:15:34 am »
I am glad this post came back up- great suggestions.  Can anyone tewll me when I can expect Binky to blow her coat?  SHe's a Great Pyr, 10 months old.  Every time I see a chunk of hair, I wonder if it's starting, but from what I've read, I guess I'll know for sure when it does!  Also, I am thinking of having her clipped for the summer- would this be a bad idea if she hasn't blown her coat yet?  I don't want her to have holes in her fur!  Thanks.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 08:40:01 am »
Dixie is having her first full blow now she is 16 months.  I bet Binky will not have a full blow until next spring.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 11:42:09 am »
Dixie is having her first full blow now she is 16 months.  I bet Binky will not have a full blow until next spring.

Lisa
I 2nd that...At 1 yr. Samson had a partial blow...This spring he is blowing coat like a big boy!...He will be 2 July 23...Pippin is also blowing big boy coat at 14 & 1/2 months...It's a good thing Sammy's breeder spins & knits the hair...otherwi se I'd feel all the brushing was a pain!...lol! :D

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 05:12:45 pm »
Zero is in full blow this year at 18mths and well there are little zeros everywhere LOL... Chara is 11mths and well she might do a partial blow but I think she is waiting for next year to show mom what a CO can do during a fur storm LOl
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 08:07:57 pm »
Will Sammy's breeder take in fur to spin from dogs not of her lines?  I have been saving some of Dixie and Sugar Bears (mixed). I would love to have a 5x5 square made for a photo box.

Lisa

Lisa
I 2nd that...At 1 yr. Samson had a partial blow...This spring he is blowing coat like a big boy!...He will be 2 July 23...Pippin is also blowing big boy coat at 14 & 1/2 months...It's a good thing Sammy's breeder spins & knits the hair...otherwi se I'd feel all the brushing was a pain!...lol! :D

cricket36580

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 08:10:21 pm »
On the spinning note...  I was wondering if you quit sweeping or vacuuming, would you eventually have a felt carpet???   ;D  I have concrete floors and I was wondering if I could save myself several thousand dollars if I just let it all felt up.  I would have to figure something out about the smell though...  hmmmm...

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 09:07:30 pm »
Every time I see a chunk of hair, I wonder if it's starting, but from what I've read, I guess I'll know for sure when it does!  Also, I am thinking of having her clipped for the summer- would this be a bad idea if she hasn't blown her coat yet?  I don't want her to have holes in her fur!  Thanks.

Yup, you'll know when it happens!  LOL!!  There was a thread not long ago about clipping that had a lot of good pros and cons in it.  I just bumped it - it was in the Newfoundland discussion forum.

I thought a shedding blade had two handles, looks like a metal ribbon with teeth on one side????  I've used those on a horse but never a dog.  The undercoat rake is the one in the pic???  That's what I have and use - it works pretty well but some dogs don't like the pull on their fur. Maybe I'm mixed up - wouldn't be the first time! ;)  I end up using the slicker most of the time because my dogs don't like the pull of the rake or the matting comb.  I just cut out matts.  Mine aren't show dogs and their comfort is more important to me than their looks.  Mostly they have so much hair that even if I cut some out, the rest covers :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 09:09:28 pm by longshadowfarms »
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 04:56:24 am »
Will Sammy's breeder take in fur to spin from dogs not of her lines?  I have been saving some of Dixie and Sugar Bears (mixed). I would love to have a 5x5 square made for a photo box.

Lisa

Lisa

I don't know Lisa but I will ask her sometime this week if I can get ahold of her...I'll let you know. :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 08:27:46 am »
Cool, thanks.

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 12:58:06 pm »
Cirra is currently blowing her coat.  She has always had a beautiful coat and now I need reassurance that she won't go bald.  I am using an undercoat rake, pin brush and comb.  She doesn't like the sound of a slicker brush???  Is the goal to brush out all of the undercoat and to keep  brushing until no more hair comes out???  I have read yes and no for a bath.  Suggestions?  Blowers?  I trust that what would be needed is more than a hand held dryer.  I enjoy brushing Cirra however it seems that she is getting tired of it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I will be brushing...