Author Topic: Long-term boarding  (Read 2371 times)

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Long-term boarding
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:48:25 am »
Okay, this is my first time using a forum, so bear with me if I don't know all the protocal yet.......I am looking for any ideas concerning a situation that we will have to resolve in the next few months to the next few years.  My Mother-in-law, also an animal-lover, lives in rural Alabama and has taken in strays all of her life to keep them from starving or being killed on the road.  Now that she is nearing 80, she still has 8 dogs that she feeds and shelters.  When she is no longer able to take care of them, we want to bring the dogs to Illinois, but cannot keep them at our home because we live in the suburbs and are stuck where we are till retirement, and there is a 2 dog limit.  Ideally, we are interested in finding someone, within about an hour's drive of Chicago, who has enough land and would allow us to put up a kennel and outdoor pens.  We would ask this person to feed and give the dogs water during the week, and we would drive out on the weekends to visit and take care of all their other needs.  We don't want to split the dogs up or put them up for adoption because they are part of our family, and also because they would be hard to adopt out since all are middle-aged and not housebroken, since they have lived outside their entire lives. We would be willing to pay for the space and caretaking, including all food and medical, but as we have many expenses, including the dogs we already have in Illinois, we are looking for something affordable on a long-term basis.  For example, a retired person who has some time on his hands and is looking to supplement his income on his own property.  Anyway, that is the "ideal" that we came up with, but we are looking for any suggestions for affordable life-long housing for these dogs.  Again, this is not an urgent problem, but it is one that can become urgent at any time and it would be great to have a plan in place, as right now it is causing many sleepless nights! Thanks for your help and time in reading this!

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Long-term boarding
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 09:34:19 pm »
bump :)

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:02:58 am »
I haven't received any replies.  Just testing to see if I know how to pick them up.........

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:04:49 am »
I see your reply...what does "bump" mean?
By the way, Rosie looks like she was very sweet.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 08:09:59 am »
If there are any replies they will be listed on this thread.  Everytime someone replies to anything it goes to the top of the list on the main page.  So when someone "bumps" it puts your post back toward the top so more people can read it.  I don't have an answer to your question.  But have you asked any vets in the area, or if someone has a horse farm/stable?  Good luck, and don't get discouraged if you don't hear anything immediately.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 04:23:49 pm »
I see your reply...what does "bump" mean?
By the way, Rosie looks like she was very sweet.
Thank you...Rosie was a sweet but tortured soul & we miss her very much.

I "bumped" your thread back up to the top because I hoped you could get some help or advise on your situation...I can tell it reallyu worries you & I am glad that you care so much...Good luck! :)

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 04:08:14 am »
Thanks for the idea---we do have a big "horse-stable" suburb that's south of us but in driving distance.  I never thought of that.  All ideas are greatly appreciated!

Offline gonetothedogs3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 04:11:53 am »
Thank you for the "bump".  I'm starting to get the hang of this.  What a great way to help our furry families and eachother!!!!