Author Topic: What do you all think?  (Read 4017 times)

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
What do you all think?
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:26:39 pm »
I found this article in the local paper, and it made me really sad. I thought I would post it to you all and see what you think. I think people should be more responsible for their dogs. There are too many loose dogs running around here in Alabama, and it causes many problems. I feel bad for the woman this happened to, and it is dogs like these that give pitbulls a bad name. The comment the asst. polic chief made really bothered me, he is stereotyping a certain breed and it is because of that kind of ignorance people hate certain breeds. The dogs that attacked could have been any breed. However, I do think they should probably be put to sleep or kept inside with their owner and no one else. What do you all think?
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: What do you all think?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:27:34 pm »
sorry guys, had a blonde moment  ;) here's the link

http://www.jaxnews.com/news/2006/jn-localnews-0927-0-6i27p4641.htm
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What do you all think?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:53:34 pm »
Unfortunately, like most things this is a sticky call.  As has been stated on this board a number of times, a breed itself is not vicious; dogs within a breed can be.  So I do not believe in a ban on breeds.  And as to euthanizing vicious dogs, that's also kind of sticky, who decides the boundary of the definition of vicious.  These dogs in this piece should be dealt with, if the report is correct and they were unprovocted and attacked her.  However, I know of some counties that if a dog bites at all, regardless of the circumstances (it happens all the time that a 2-3 year old will get bitten for one reason or another) they are put down and I'm sorry but I don't agree with that.  It's a tough call and I hate that irresponsible owners are making this something that local governments have to decide.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix