Author Topic: Kiah's paw pics  (Read 3885 times)

Kiahpyr

Kiah's paw pics
« on: October 10, 2006, 10:02:28 am »
Kiah has been licking the underside of her paw all summer. The vet said it's outdoor allergies and gave me ways to treat it. Nothing is helping! Then someone said that it could be a yeast infection. Any ideas?

k2campbell

Re: Kiah's paw pics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 03:22:12 pm »
OUCH - poor Kiah :o

My MIL's Westie has that also, on his paws and under his belly.  I know it's an allergy, just don't know to what or what exactly her vet prescribes.  Let me find out tomorrow and let you know?

I know one thing that Wally (the Westie) gets as treatment and that's a special diet (I believe the kibble is mostly fish-based) but I'll check on that one too...

Until then - hope you're feeling better Kiah!!! ;)

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 02:59:27 am »
Yeast infections usually have a funky smell I thought. It could have started out as a simple allergy and because she was licking and keeping it moist it got infected/yeasty.
I would take her back to the vet and see if he had any other ideas for you. Poor Kiah, it certainly looks painfully unpleasant.
Stella

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 03:02:01 am »
ouch.  remember that stuff we got on our finger nails as kids to stop biting our nails?  would that work on dogs?

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 04:03:24 am »
Yikes that looks scary! :o Poor Kiah!!!

You could try tea tree oil or ointment. I used a tea tree ointment on a hot spot Sampson had and it cleared up super fast. I used "Tea Tree Therapy Anitseptic Ointment", which I bought at Wild Oats, a natural food store. It is anti-yeast and anti-fungal.

I hope Kiah heals soon, April!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:21:23 am »
I changed floor cleaners and her paw's still the same. I am going to try the tea tree oil. Kiah doesn't do well with meds, so hopefully it will work. 

Kirsti

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:09:17 am »
Ooh, poor girl!
~K

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 01:30:17 pm »
ok this is going to sound crazy, but there is a guy on the radio in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. His name is Howard Garrett, he is known as the dirt doctor because he is a horticulturali st (sp??) any way he has a web site- you could probably just type in the dirt doctor. He is in to organic and natural rememdies. I have heard of him talking about the beneficial properties of corn meal. I dont know if it has to be a special corn meal, but the web site will tell you. I have heard people who have called the show and say how soaking thier foot in this organic corn meal and water cures things like yeast infections and even that toe nail fungus. You might want to look it up and try it-  I am not sure how Kiah would feel about her foot being in water, but maybe you could make like a paste of it and wrap her foot for short periods of time. If it stopped the irritation- it might be worth a shot.

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 02:41:26 pm »
I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help April (sorry)! :P  Wally (the Westie's) condition stems from allergies to grass and dirt.  The medication he takes is an antihistamine (sp?) for dogs.  You've stated Kiah doesn't do well on meds so I don't know if the antihistamine route is one you'd want to try...

I would take her to your vet, hopefully they'll be able to help!  Get better Kiah! ;)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 08:18:26 am »
Do you think it might be caused by a food allergy?  My old vet said that sometimes food allergies cause skin issues and that he knew of a dog that was always liking its' paws and that it turned out to be caused by his diet.  Just a thought...
Good luck!!
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi