Author Topic: Marty (Boston Terrier)  (Read 12026 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Marty (Boston Terrier)
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:20:02 am »
I know she wasn't a big paw except in her own mind but I just got back from the ER vet where I had to euthanize Marty this afternoon.  Because of my stupidity and not be vigilant enough, she was injured today in a dog fight so badly that I had her PTS.  I'm so sorry for failing you, baby. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Marty (Boston Terrier)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:23:18 am »
I'm so sorry! Don't beat yourself up, though, it is NOT your fault. What happened?
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:02:44 am »
Thanks for saying that but it truly is my fault.  This is going to be long so I apologize in advance.

I ran out to the store this morning to pick up some pepto for the big dogs because the wet food is causing diarrhea again.  Lately, I have been leaving Cinder uncrated in the bedroom with Kaila and Shiner in their crates and Marty is free roaming in the bedroom and bathroom.  Well, this morning I was kenneling everyone and saw brown butt go into kaila's kennel and then got shiner in his kennel and saw brown butt go into the bathroom.  So I assumed I had Kaila kenneled but I didn't.  Cinder was in the kennel and when I got back from the store I found Kaila very excited loose in the bedroom and could see part of the water container from the bathroom in the doorway.  So I assumed again that Kaila had tried to get into the cat food and had turned over the water bowl.  When I put them outside I went back to get Marty and see the damage to the bathroom and there was blood and water everywhere.  I found Marty under the bed and couldn't get her to come to me.  I finally had to move the bed to get her out and then took off to the emergency vet.  She had a punctured lung and a lot of damage to her chest cavity.  Since Marty barely survived surgery last year from a dog fight she started I opted not to put her through surgery again especially since she was nearly 15yo.  The vets were having a hard time getting her blood pressure and temperature up and get her heart rate down just to start working on her.  So you see the one day I wasn't vigilant and extra careful with her is the day that I killed her.  I can't blame Kaila for the attack.  I am so upset that I can't stop crying and I am nearly sick to my stomach and haven't even gone into clean up the blood in the bathroom and bedroom yet.  I brought her home to bury her in the yard.  Right now, I feel like the worse mom ever.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Luvmydanes

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 10:07:41 am »
I am so sorry! It wasn't your fault, so try not to beat yourself up. We all know how hard it is to lose a family pet, and we're here if you need to talk about it. I will keep you in my prayers.

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 10:41:12 am »
Unless you intentionally caused this to happen, then you have absolutely no reason to feel badly. Accidents happen, and yes, the results can be horrible and devastating, but you have to remember that an accident is an accident. I hope that in a few days when the shock wears off, you'll realize that you shouldn't blame yourself. You'll be in my thoughts.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:12:31 am »
Oh, my!  I'm so sorry to hear it!  Big hugs to you!  I'm so sorry too that you feel responsible.  That makes it doubly hard to bear. 
Daphne

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »
RIP Marty, I'm so sorry. :(
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 01:12:53 pm »
No No No - you DID NOT kill Marty!!

I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved Marty.  Please try not to beat yourself up over this - I wish I was closer I would help you clean because that is really something that it doesn't sound like you should be handling right now.

Please try to give yourself a break - Marty Would not want you beating yourself up.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 03:07:33 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Your kindness and support helps a lot and I am at least feeling a little better than I was this afternoon right after it happened.  I still feel like it's my fault but I figure that I will for awhile.  When I got home from the vet's and let Kaila, Cinder, and Shiner back in the house they all went and laid down but only Cinder and Shiner would come greet me.  Kaila laid down as far away from me as she could get and I never yelled at her or anything over this.  She is still keeping her distance right now.  I feel so bad that I should comfort her so she doesn't think that she has lost her place in the pack but I need some time to regroup after losing my little one.  Does anyone know if the vet has to notify animal control if they know the dog that was involved in a fight?  I don't want Kaila listed as a dangerous dog with the city over this because it was an accident.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 04:33:05 pm »
Kat I am SOOOO sorry to hear about little Marty. :'( I didn't realize you had a little paw in your family. I just can't imagine how you must feel. :'(

The good thing is that Marty lived a long life! When you found her today, she knew you loved her and she knew you were trying to help her. She knew on the way to the vet that you loved her so much. She would never blame you for anything, that's the beauty of dogs. Marty doesn't hurt anymore, she isn't feeling any pain anymore. She is free now! Think of her that way, free of the injuries and free from all fear. She is loving you right now from where she is. :-* She will wait for you loyally at the bridge.

I am just so sorry you had to go through this. Please take care of yourself at this time. Sending you lots of love and hugs from GA. :-* :-* :-*

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • When There's A Will, There's A Way
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 02:25:41 pm »
I am so sorry.  It was a tragic accident
, it was not your fault; Hindsight is 20/20.  Please don't beat yourself up, Marty lived a good, long life and more importantly, a life full of love and care from you.

{{{HUGS}}}
Emily and the gang

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 03:04:41 pm »
I'm so sorry about Marty. 

As far as reporting Kaila it depends on if you city has laws saying that but I don't think they'd have to.  I believe it's only reported if someone else's dog or a person is involved.  And I think it takes more than one incident as well.  Don't beat yourself up, it was an accident and Marty had a long life filled with love.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 05:38:26 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss  :'( *hugs*
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:44:26 am »
 :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

We are sorry for your loss and you are in our prayers.

We only part to meet again.  ~John Gay
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 12:23:09 pm »
I know that words can not express how sorry we are that you had to go through this. Accidents happen and you can always second guess, but dont, and dont beat yourself up. I wish that there was some way to give you some comfort to get through today and the next few days. Just remember, there are a lot of good people here for you and if you have any doubts or need anything, all you have to do is ask.