Author Topic: 10 week old Saint, aggressive with her treats!  (Read 1534 times)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
10 week old Saint, aggressive with her treats!
« on: September 30, 2006, 02:10:19 pm »
I just got Bella two days ago from a breeder nearby. I spent time with the litter, observed her behavior (while the litter was complete) and she didn't appear to be the most dominant or the most submissive.  Since bringing her home, however, I have discovered that while there is NO food aggression whatsoever, she will growl most often, and occassionally bark or try to bite if you get close to her "treat".  :-\ A treat being something to chew on that is like food (non-edibles and such don't seem to matter).  Initially, I wasn't concerned becuase I felt that she was probably just used to having to fight for her stuff among her siblings, and that over time she would lose the behavior.  However, I really don't want a huge dog that cannot be approached during "chew time".  It also makes me wonder if the pack dynamic changed becuase when I picked her up, only her and two other sisters (out of 9) were left.

Anyone else experienced this before?  I have some techniques to employ, but would welcome any information or suggestions!  In every other aspect she's as sweet and docile as can be.  And she is only 10 weeks old, and about to begin the first of many obedience courses, so I am not worried about being able to resolve this; I just would love some feedback!!!

Thanks...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:49:21 pm by bluskygirl »
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: 10 week old Saint, aggressive with his treats!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 04:44:40 pm »
Well, first of all, congrats on your new family member!! But... where are the photos??? I don't see any photos!! ;)

The only advice I have for you right now is to just be very assertive with your puppy. She is only a baby, so it is a great time for her to learn right off the bat that you are her leader!!! Just make sure you don't give her too much freedom right now. Otherwise she will come into your house thinking she is the queen of everything! :D

Something you will definitely want to look into as you raise this pup is the NILIF protocol. That stands for Nothing In Life Is Free. It is perfect for dealing with a dog who has the tendency to be more "dominant" as they say. ;)

When Turkey (my husky mix) first came into my life as a 7-week-old, she was a real firecracker. I even had vets and vet techs warning me that I better get her into obedience classes ASAP, and saying that she was WAY too fiesty for a puppy her age. Well, whatever. She turned out fine!  :D

(edited to change gender... could have sworn the pup was a boy)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 04:08:22 am by doghealer »

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: 10 week old Saint, aggressive with her treats!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 01:10:36 am »
This is resource guarding and she is protecting her treasure.  We never just take away their treat but rather 'trade'  To approach and or remove the treat you should offer her a real yummy in trade (like a piece of cheese) that teaches her it is OK to give up her treasure and that you are not just going to 'steal' her stuff.  There are several articles on resource guarding - she is just a little baby and now is a perfect time for training.