Author Topic: Question about puking puppy and What exactly is cherry eye??  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Goldensaint

• Gnawer
  • Sierra and Cujo
    • View Profile
Question about puking puppy and What exactly is cherry eye??
« on: October 01, 2006, 11:14:05 pm »
 Well my puppy went to the vet this weekend and they found he had roundworm.He was wormed 4 weeks 6 weeks 8weeks and now 13 weeks. Also by the way I just changed my puppys food this weekend to Natural Choice large breed puppy he was on purina and he was never holding it down he was throwing up every other day he was not chewing any of the food it appeared. He was playing after he was wormed about 10 hours later and he just vomits up what appears to be black rock tar looking stuff and he just went about his way. Well this morning after eating about 3 hours later he vomits up a little of his puppy food not as much as before it looked like completely digested mush. He is vomitting every other day it seems. He acts completely healthy though other then vomitting every once and awhile.. My mom thinks it because he plays right after he eats, but Im getting concerned about it because I have NEVER seen black vomit before in my life.I try to get him to relax and settle down after eating,but he just goes into a hypermode sometimes and if you crate him while your in the room he will yelp and whine and scratch the bottom of the cage or slam the sides of the cage like a wild monkey.lol.Sho uld I have him checked for something else because he does appear to look thinner then my other saint did at 13 weeks old, but she also had heavier set parents too.She weighed 39pds at his age and he weighs 33. I was thinking that may be a bit on the small side for a male. Im just worried about his health and making sure he is actually get food in between the throwing up every once in awhile. My vet said roundworms will make them throw up alot is this true as well? I have had puppies before that had roundworm and never threw up.
  Also I have seen alot of people talking about cherry eye, but what are the signs of cherry eye? My 5 month old Saint has really droopy eyes nothing appears to be hanging out except for eyes droop alot and you can see the pink underneath them and shealways has eye boogers its the  color like white snot well Im sure eye boogers is not what its professionally called, but I was wondering is this a sign of cherry eye or soon to be cherry eye? I know our air tends to be dry in our house and was wondering if this could be a factor for the dogs eyes as well I know it bothers mine severally, but cant seem to find anything to help with the dryness.
    Hopefully someone can help me out here I'm new to X-large breed dogs these are my first 2 ever and I seem to panic alot over them and probley am driving my vet nuts by calling the tech every other day and asking questions.I just want to make sure there healthy and happy.
Its not a good day without a wet nose in your face when you wake up and drool on your pillow when you go to sleep.~~~~Tina

Roxie-Golden Retriever
Angel-Jack Russell Terrier
Sierra-Saint Bernard
Cujo- Saint Bernard
Diablo-kitty him/mix
Hemi- kitty- him/mix
Tony- kitty- siamese/mix

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Question about puking puppy and What exactly is cherry eye??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 12:51:04 am »
If he only threw up the black stuff once and seems fine now I wouldn't worry about it.  Puppies have worms - we worm at 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and 8 weeks and instruct  new owners to continue to worm every 3 weeks or so until they go on heartworm preventative.  And round worms will make them vomit.  He is not a bad weight and should pick up now that he has been wormed again.  We don't worry about occasional puppy vomit as long as they are doing well.  He also doesn't have cherry eye - that actually forms a tumor on the lower eyelid - the redness you see is from a loose lower lid which is common in this breed.

Why are you crating him when you are in the room?  To a puppy that wants to be with you that is a special kind of torture (at least in their mind)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:19:47 am »
  My vet said roundworms will make them throw up alot is this true as well? I have had puppies before that had roundworm and never threw up.

If you don't trust your vet I would suggest getting a new one!

When my dog Turkey was a puppy she had roundworms, and she didn't necessarily throw up but she did cough up a huge mass of worms after a deworming. Pretty gross.

Cherry eye is not a tumor (though it may look like one). Here is a link to some good info and also includes a charming picture of a bad case of cherry eye.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cherry-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Cherry eye is the prolapse of a gland. You will know something is very wrong if your dog comes down with cherry eye. There is nothing you can do to prevent it, but do keep your pup's eye area gently washed as needed with a warm wet washcloth.

Here is a photo of my dog Connor when he had cherry eye. You can't miss the large red bulge in the corner of his right eye. He had surgery and now his eye is healthy.

I hope all works out well with your new pup, and keep doing lots of research on the health of giant breeds, there is much to learn. BPO has tons of information; the internet can be a great resource. Best of luck!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 02:20:44 am by doghealer »

Offline Goldensaint

• Gnawer
  • Sierra and Cujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 08:20:41 pm »
Well with the crating question the only reason we crate him is after eating his cage is in the kitchen also a heavy traffic area that way he can see hes not missing out on much our other dogs take a nap after they eat and he just goes crazy and wants to play we were worried about bloat or him throwing up he likes to think he can run and jump and really rough house after eating his food and the vet thought maybe that was another possibility for the constant vomitting after eating.He is very playful well more so then our other Saint she is very laid back and calm completely opposite from him.I take him for 2 short walks a day with my other Saint and Golden. He goes in the cage all the time to sleep, but I just leave the door open most of the time. He just doesnt like it to be closed at all. I'll keep my eye out for any more worms havent seen any in the past couple days and YEA no throwing up anymore the food seemed to help ease his stomach probley transitioning foods could have done something to as well as a high powered
wormer.I'll make sure to follow up with more wormer in the next few weeks just to make sure.
  With cherry eye I now know what it looks like and saved that site for information. Its very informative on what to look for and your great dane is very pretty by the way :)
Its not a good day without a wet nose in your face when you wake up and drool on your pillow when you go to sleep.~~~~Tina

Roxie-Golden Retriever
Angel-Jack Russell Terrier
Sierra-Saint Bernard
Cujo- Saint Bernard
Diablo-kitty him/mix
Hemi- kitty- him/mix
Tony- kitty- siamese/mix