Author Topic: Well I took everyones advice and put them on a different food  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Goldensaint

• Gnawer
  • Sierra and Cujo
    • View Profile
 I changed the dogs this past weekend to Natural Choice Large breed puppy. The Nutro girl at Petsmart told me it really wouldnt make a difference now what food I feed them since they already had started on Purina,but I bought it anyway. Sierra and Cujo really seem to like it. Sierra will steal Cujos bowl to if I dont watch her. Cujo went the vet nothing is wrong with his feet, but he did have roundworm so he got wormed again now he is starting to look healthier and has more of an appetite for dog food. Sierra has stopped her peeing on the floor when company comes over must have been a phase. Cujo finally has gotten the hang of it and has not had any accidents in a few weeks so were thinking hes pretty much housebroke for the most part now. Sierra got weighed at the vet shes 83pds at 5 months old and Cujo weighed 33pds at 13 weeks. No more bladder infection for Sierra shes doing alot better. Well hope everyone is doing well and we will keep you posted with pictures and stuff hope everyone has a good week. I left a picture of Cujo and Sierra from a few weeks ago.
Its not a good day without a wet nose in your face when you wake up and drool on your pillow when you go to sleep.~~~~Tina

Roxie-Golden Retriever
Angel-Jack Russell Terrier
Sierra-Saint Bernard
Cujo- Saint Bernard
Diablo-kitty him/mix
Hemi- kitty- him/mix
Tony- kitty- siamese/mix

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Well I took everyones advice and put them on a different food
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:35:53 am »
i am no expert but i believe that nomatter what you started feeding your dogs, improving on their food will make a difference. i started my newf on nutro large breed puppy and was quite happy with it, but at 6 months for some stupid reason i changed to purina one for a while, was not as impressed as some lead me to believe how good it was. now feed eagle pack large and giant and notice a big difference in hair and coat, and less yard cleanup. i am sure you will notice a difference also. patti

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:18:22 pm »
They are adorable! I just got Bella, and the breeder had her on Iams Large Breed Puppy, which is discouraging. Everything about her (minus that) is super impressive.  I am hoping to switch Bella in a couple weeks... after she's had time to settle in. I was trying to decide on either Canidae, or Eagle Pack Puppy. 

Bella is 28 pounds at 10 weeks. Does anyone know where you can find a proper weight and sizing chart? I would like to see where Bella stacks up among Saints. I wonder if she's small, big or just about average for her size.

Pet store people will tell you it makes no difference what you feed, but it's such a myth!  Ever notice, too, how the puppy food bags recommend so much more food then is necessary? I think it's so we'll have to keep buying puppy food more often, but that's just me.  :)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 01:41:13 pm »
Unfortunately most pet store employees are not formally trained when it comes to dog food! I know since I have worked in three different pet stores! My coworkers had NO IDEA what they were talking about and I would hear them give people poor advice. It was kinda sad. I did lots of research on my own and actually back when I was 16 I went to some dog food seminars. (Nerdy, huh? ;))

I agree that switching your dog to better food at ANY age will be very beneficial to their health. :)

Offline Goldensaint

• Gnawer
  • Sierra and Cujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:54:19 pm »
 I was kinda shocked about the NUTRO spokesperson telling me it wouldnt do any good isnt it her job to sell the food?? ??? ??? That was a little weird. I told her I really dont care how much it cost just wanted to make sure they were healthy and happy thats my main goal..Yeah they seem to like it alot Cujo still if he isnt put in his crate after eating vomits though.He constantly wants to rough house after eating.I have had the worst time getting him to eat any dry dog food.I mix a little bit of wet food in now to get him to eat his dry food because without it he just doesnt seem interested.Im not sure if its just him and his little cocky I dont want to eat dog food attitude  :P  or teething I noticed he was missing 3 puppy teeth, but I have to keep an eye on it.Sierra has lost almost all of her puppy teeth. I dont know what the average is for 13 weeks old for puppys, but Sierra was 43.9 pds at 13 weeks and that was a week after I brought her home from the breeder. She went to the vet and he was shocked for her being that big, but I'm assuming he could tell if she was overweight or not.In her pictures shes always akward positioned so you cant tell that she has a figure at all and shes so lazy when she sits she just sprawls her legs out.
    Cujo is a little lankier now my mom keeps saying she cant tell the difference in his height,but I can hes closing in on Sierra's height he will no doubt be taller then her at 5 months old shes just extremely squatty and heavy boned.He is coming along very well with obedience he knows how to sit and shake and yesterday he got his first big boy bark which kinda even intimidated me.He saw someone walking late at night and just let out a big BOOWW.. I laughed so hard because it was hard to get him to stop after he started..
    Whenever you ask Sierra to do something you get the 100pd paw I call it she practically knocks you out with trying to give you her paw. I sit and laugh at my neighbor because she comes over and she weighs about 107pds and the dog will sit right next to her on the floor and put her leg around her waist and her head on her shoulder its so funny. I sent you guys a picture of Sierra the day I got her a couple weeks later and a few weeks ago. I try to take pictures of every week so that I can keep a little journal of there growing plus I want to make a collage from puppy to adult to see the difference.. So I should  have updated pictures of them this weekend. Hope everyones having a good week. ;D
Its not a good day without a wet nose in your face when you wake up and drool on your pillow when you go to sleep.~~~~Tina

Roxie-Golden Retriever
Angel-Jack Russell Terrier
Sierra-Saint Bernard
Cujo- Saint Bernard
Diablo-kitty him/mix
Hemi- kitty- him/mix
Tony- kitty- siamese/mix