Author Topic: Weimaraner (and Dobe's) need home(s) in Mobile, AL  (Read 4839 times)

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Weimaraner (and Dobe's) need home(s) in Mobile, AL
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:52:19 am »
Hey all, Sorry I haven't been around too much lately, but things have been a little busy....
There is an approx 2 y/o male unaltered Weimaraner and 2 approx (8-12 mo. old *guessing*)unaltered male Dobermans at the Mobile County Animal Shelter.  Although this is a 'kill' facility, I've been told by 2 members of the staff that none of these 3 dogs will be put down and they will call me if something changes in that regard. 
The Weim is a very sweet and playful boy.  He is also smart and has learned to open the shelter gates in the short time he's been there.  According to the shelter the person that called them to pick him up said that his owners moved and abandoned him.  He'll need a very dog-savvy person to rein in and direct that intelligence and energy.  He seems very comfortable around the other dogs with no signs of aggression.  He is a bit underweight at this point, but his teeth, ears, eyes and coat all look good.
The 2 dobies are friendly and lively.  They also appear to be in good health with nice coats, teeth, eyes, etc....
That being said, this particular shelter does not have funding to provide the normal shots to incoming dogs and as a result is having problems with parvo and kennel cough, so it would be very good to find them homes quickly.
The main requirements for adopting from this shelter is that you mus provide them 1)proof of rabies vaccination within 72 hours of adoption; and 2) proof of spay/neuter within 30 days of adoption.
If anyone is interested, feel free to email me at tpandrews@aol.com or call me at 251-402-0912.  Thanks to all!
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Weimaraner (and Dobe's) need home(s) in Mobile, AL
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:52:28 am »
Holy schneikies I would take those two Dobies in a HEARTBEAT if I had the room!!! They are SO HANDSOME!!! They must be littermates, they look exactly alike!!

Oh, man!!! Good luck you beauties!!!!!!!!! :-*

Offline cataria

• Ankle Biter
  • Shade and Bella
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 01:50:28 pm »
It would be easy for me to take the Weim.  Heather is in Mobile and could easily pick him up for me.  I'm in TN now taking care of my elderly Mom.  I'll be home on the 14th.  That being said, let me ask those of you who have more experience at this than I do.  First of all, I'm not sure that I'm ready for a new Weim.  I picked Shade's ashes up on Monday and left Wednesday to come up here.  So, that's one issue. Bella, my Dobie, is with me, of course. The other issue is that Bella was with Shade from the time she was a puppy.  She took her cues from her and respected her as alpha dog.  Bella seems to be at odds with herself.  She is trying to find her place, the big girl who has to make decisions.  Last weekend, she walked around the house whining.  She hasn't slept in my bedroom (Shade's place) although invited to, but did start sleeping on the dog bed in my room last Sunday night.  She has been off her feed and is my constant shadow.  I'm giving her lots of attention and reassurance.  I don't want to stress her...she has demodectic mange but has been clear for about 2 years now.  How would bringing a new dog into the household affect her?  I can see the pros and cons at this point.  Anyone have any experiences they would like to share?   
"If unicorns and Pegasus exist only in the minds of children and dreamers, then I am honored to be among the ranks of the childish believer; for where my childhood dreams do die, there too my soul shall whither…" (Sue Lay - copyright 2002)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:28:26 pm »
I'll try to get in touch with Tom, that is if you're serious.  Bella will be fine.  She does well with any dog that comes to your house, she's very social!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 02:51:11 am »
H, give me a call (#'s above) and we'll set up a time to go out there... not the greatest area in the county  ;).  I would be very excited to have someone I know adopt this boy.. I'd have taken him in heartbeat if I wasn't full up!  I'd love to be able to see him on one of our outings!  BTW - doubt it matter to you or your mom, but I realized that I didn't mention in my description above, that his tail is NOT docked.

NOW... any interest in the 2 'Dobie Brothers'???? ;D

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 03:05:14 am »
My Stepmom has an older dobie female and has been searching dobie rescues for a new addition.  i will askk her and see what she thinks.  Do they need to go together if so i dont think that would be a problem but we will see.  she lives in mobile also.  so it would be really easy for her to pick them up.   
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 03:28:52 am »
yEA!!!  Sounds like they are on their way!  I was so afraid I was going to have to "hide" 3 more dogs....   ;D

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 03:52:28 am »
AWww it sounds like they will have very happy homes. ;D

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 05:17:22 am »
My Stepmom has an older dobie female and has been searching dobie rescues for a new addition.  i will askk her and see what she thinks.  Do they need to go together if so i dont think that would be a problem but we will see.  she lives in mobile also.  so it would be really easy for her to pick them up.   
[/color]

Although, I think it would be great for them to stay together, as they are attached to each other, it's not mandatory.  Feel free to give me a call and I'll give you the contact info, or as above, I'll be happy to go out there with her. 
Also a  :D BIG THANKS :D to everyone!