Author Topic: Ms. Independent and Mr. Protective - Help!  (Read 9719 times)

dohertyswissy

Ms. Independent and Mr. Protective - Help!
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:17:48 pm »
Hi Everyone!

I hope that you all are doing well.  It has been a long time since I've posted.  Sorry about that!  I promise to be better and to rectify soon with new pictures of Ranger Roo!

As you may remember, over the past couple months I started a new job, which I love, and broke-up with my boyfriend of 1 year.  Well, it's been 3 months and I have been slowly dipping my toe back into the dating pool.  Nothing too interesting to report there, except Ranger does NOT like it.  Whenever a guy comes to pick me up, he gets really, really excited.  He starts jumping around like a maniac and acting all wonky.  Then, if the guy goes to hug me, which is a typical greeting here in the South, he goes crazy and jumps on us in attempt to get the guy to unhand Mommy!

When my friends or family are over, he is the same ol' Roo.  Still a little wonky at the door, but doesn't jump on them, etc.

I was hoping to get some insight on this and what your thoughts were on how to curb it.  Ranger and I spend a lot of time alone together these days and I don't know if he sees these boys as competition.  I'm starting to wonder if he's forgotten who the boss is...but yet he knows it when we are alone or when around people he is familiar with...so I'm not sure.

At this point, I'm thinking of reinstituting NILIF and maybe increasing his exercise, specifically when there is a "stranger" arriving?  We are a little out of routine, as I was pretty much sick for a month...first with strep throat and then with the flu.

I would be sooo grateful for help.  Ranger is my heart, but I'd like to have some semblence of a love life if the right guy comes along and right now, that doesn't seem feasible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:19:28 pm by Swissy »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Ms. Independent and Mr. Protective - Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:28:11 pm »
Does Ranger Roo know sit stay or down stay? It seems like he needs self control. I love Suzanne Clothier article about it

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/selfpg.html

And this leadership article is awesome!!!

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/leadership.html

It's great for dogs with drive or for your situation as well.
I used this approach to teach Lily to react (NOT React LOL) to cats on the street. I hope it helps!

I am glad that your job is awesome! ;D Stay in touch :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:16:05 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)