Author Topic: Help!  (Read 5088 times)

dohertyswissy

Help!
« on: June 17, 2005, 09:12:29 am »
Okay, BPO, I need your help.  It has been an EXTREMELY rough week, which has made it that much harder not to be able to get on BPO!

As you all know, I have a 7 month old Swissy named Ranger.  My youngest bro-in-law has a 3 year old Husky named Dakota.  For various reasons, there is a possiblity that I will be taking in Dakota for a month, possibly longer, just kind of depends.  Dakota is a really sweet dog, a bit hyper, but overall has a good nature.  I was looking for some advice, as I've never owned 2 dogs at the same time and have some concerns.

1.)  Both dogs are males.  Ranger is still intact, but Dakota is fixed.  Should I expect any kind of dominance/aggression issues?

2.)  Dakota hasn't been through any obdience training and the commands that he does know, from what I've seen, isn't that great.  Any suggestions on how to keep Ranger from picking up any of Dakota's bad habits?

3.)  I'm not sure if Dakota is food agressive or not.  Should I feed them in seperate areas?  I'm thinking I should at first....

4.)  All you Husky owners - how often to you exercise your pups?

Any other pieces of advice that you could offer or things that I should look for would be helpful!  Thanks in advance to all!!!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:18:03 am »
Hello,

Have the two dogs met eachother yet?  I've heard it is always best to have them greet eachother "off the property" to see how they get along.  Perhaps compile a list of things you'd like to know about Dakota, such as, is he food aggressive?  Then, you can ask the BIL in detail.

I hope they get along.  Btw, I absolutely adore Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs.  At first, long ago, I wanted a Dogue De Bordeaux, but then took Greta and Lou home.  Then, I thought my next dog would be a Swissy, but I rescued little Betti this time.  Now, I'm at my maximum of three dogs.

He looks like a sweet boy.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 09:22:31 am »
Being involved in rescue, I mix my dogs with new ones quite often. If the two have never met before, keep them both on leashes when you first introduce them. Watch for signs like growling, ears forward, snarling, etc.

Let them sniff each other, but keep the leashes on and keep watching for these signs. Praise both of them if they show no signs of aggression an pull on their leash and say "NO!" if they do.

Since Dakota is fixed and Ranger is not, they will probably naturally determine that Ranger is the alpha dog. Make sure, if you do feed them together, that you give Ranger his food first - this will let Dakota know that you consider Ranger the alpha dog, too. As long as Ranger feels he is the alpha dog and Dakota feels Ranger is the alpha dog, Ranger shouldn't pick up Dakota's bad habits and, in fact, Dakota may pick up Ranger's good habits.  Another thing to keep in mind to establish this: don't let Dakota enter or leave the house before Ranger. If you are doing something for both dogs: feeding, putting on a leash, giving treats, brushing, etc. - do it to Ranger first. Make Dakota sit, stay and wait until you are done with Ranger.

This will quickly establish his dominance in the "pack".

I bet everything will go just fine, though. Husky's have a pretty friendly personality, and they are definitely a pack animal so as long you establish Ranger as alpha right away you should't have any problems.

Good luck!!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 12:19:10 pm »
I think things should be fine with the two dogs. My sister-in-law has a beautiful Husky named Kobe who is best buds with Bear. Last summer, we dog sat for Kobe everday just so they would have constant companionship while I was home for vacation. Kobe is fixed, Bear is not and any disagreements they got into were settled quickly and usually quietly.  ;) As for the exercise, we took them out together for the morning and afternoon walks but Kobe is never allowed off leash because he will take off. He also pulls sooooo hard on the leash and it is strange since he is half the size of Bear, but twice as strong on a normal walk. I think Ranger and your brother's dog will get along just fine and any dominance issues will work out on their own. Enjoy having a second dog for a bit...I am sure Ranger will be happy!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 03:13:09 pm »
I am sure things will be fine too heather.... Since Ranger isnt altered, like everyone has said, he will most likely be the alpha. And it will make it easier if you help establish that.

Mind you depending on what bad habits the husky has, hmmmmm I agree with jj that most likely Ranger will not pick up bad habits, if he is alpha, but I have seen dogs that are just like kids and even thought there is no doubt they are alpha still thinks it looks fun to do the things they usually dont do. So a little warning there.

With the food, well if the husky is dog aggressiv I think I would just simply feed them sep. especially since you are only going to have him there for so long, he is not going to be a permanent member of your family, so to eliminate fights (if he is aggressive that is) I would kinda work around it rather than trying to MAKE things work, when it is for only a few weeks.

Zeus our Siberian Husky, has his yard where he is running around, and he loves his walks, but when it is hot, he isnt that much into "sporting" lol....... So I am sure he will be okay with whatever walks you give Ranger.

Good Luck and please keep us posted

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog