Author Topic: Remote Collars  (Read 5306 times)

ibenu

Remote Collars
« on: October 12, 2006, 06:23:54 pm »
We will be moving to an Remote collar on monday, with many different stim levels this coming monday. As my leash handling is not very sharp, and he is getting more confrontationa l as he comes up on six months.

---------rant portion-----it was a hard afternoon with him coming up the leash at my arm and hand after getting "bored" with standing there so long, glad the embarasment happened in front of the trainer as he normally presents as sooo well trained till we are not longer doing what he would like..ARRRggg so frustrating, feel like a bad handler):
------rant over-------

So I ask, what have your remote collar experience been with issues more around dominant/aggressive dogs, versus barking.
Any and all experience stories will be greatly appreciated!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 12:33:59 pm by ibenu »

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Remote Collars
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 01:52:06 am »
I use remote collars... i spend 600 for 2 collars and one remote.  I love it.  It isnt cruel or harsh... if used properly it is the same as an invisible lead.  Dont get me wrong, it can be misused and you can ruin a dog but responsible handling it is a great and effective tool

I have great recall now with my dogs, i am able to use it for barking... I dont use it for a bark collar but if they are barking and I tell them to sush and there is nothing around for them to be barking at, i will give a correction....
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

ibenu

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:03:06 am »
Can I ask what model it is as the one shes bringing is 300. Funny thing is at least at this age he has very good recall. As I mentioned he presents as very well trained a good 80 percent of the time. heels with great eye contact on most walk ways, downs and waits for a release word at the brak then comes to a nice sit in front. But WHEN he challenges me, leash corrections have been useless, I have a bucking mouthing bronco. The trainer we have I really like her. She trained with Fred Hassen on more than one occassion, and of course her dag Saint GSD is impecable in his commands with remote. I look forward to working with her on this remote collar.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:03:29 am »
From what I can tell... you have a neo or am i wrong?... which is a different world than a GSD.  In regards to correction well you have a neo and they will take advantage if you arent a good leader.

A remote collar wont solve those problems in regards to making you a better leader.

What are you doing to estblish youself?

ibenu

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:58:03 am »
He is a neo. Standard things for establishing leadership, Ie: he sits or downs and waits while I go through all doors. He downs and waits till he is released when he eats, eating one meal  a day from my hand doing something for me beofre each time he eats. And we always eat something before him. when walking he must be in somewhat of a heel. nver in front of and if back only a bit back. His challenging me comes when I have sat somewere too long for his liking and he wants to go. wanted to go into a pet store and we didnt. Inarticulatly described he appears very obiedient, he is complimented all the time when people see him heeling and sitting at curbs with no commands. recall off leash is excellent. He still grabs things around the house to get our attention when he wants it. If it isnt important we ignore him. If it is I will trade him for something he is alowed to play with and leave him to it. Thats all I can think of right now...

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 05:21:24 am »
Then why are you using an collar?  he is only a pup right?

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:58:02 am »
I have an ecollar.. We got it when she was a few months under 2 years old.  We needed a negative to happen when listening wasn't going so well..  And leash dinks, time outs, etc weren't doing enough.  But, an ecollar isn't the right tool for every dog. 

No one in any store would sell you an ecollar for a puppy.. usually they ask how old your dog is and steer you towards other things..  Even petsmart won't sell you one if your dog is on the side of small, or if it's under 6 months..

There are 100 other ways to train.  An ecollar shouldn't be the first method on a dog so young.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

ibenu

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 12:31:52 pm »
This was not our first choice. He has been training since 12 weeks. We have a prof.trainer who recomended we go this route when she watched him go up the leash at my arm and hand when we stood too long at the park. He also will pull to go see something he would like, sometimes that people who do not wish to meet him. At 65 pounds, and the leash corrections neccesary to even get his attention are far harsher than any stimulation levels we are using.

He also shows aggression towards certain people for unknown reasons to us. Our trainer comes highly recomended and her work with other high dom breeds is well known. I am not sure what has solicited judgement it terms of I am going the wrong route. Perhaps I need to give you more information?

As to why I am going this route (as was asked above) My list of all I do and how good he "appears" to be most of the time, was in regards to what do we do to establish our selves as leaders.

Is there more information I can give to better help you answer my question of what has your experience been??

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 03:17:56 pm »
You kind of have me confused... if the trainer is used to working with high dominant breeds then why are you here asking for ecollar advice... It seems to me that you have a typical neo on your hands... and yes you need to establish control but if you 4mth pup is going up the leash on then something is missing.....

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 05:46:09 pm »
Sounds like a typical large breed pup that needs a more alpha person to learn to be in control.  If your trainer is used to dominant breeds an e collar shouldn't be required.  Mighty early in the game to be going there apparently tomorrow since you've edited your original post?

I hope for your sake it doesn't break your dog, which if improperly used could very well happen.  Doubt any one here used an e collar on a 6 month old puppy so no one will have stories to share about that.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

ibenu

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 01:15:45 pm »
Well, the e collar is a wonderful training tool, IMHO. He'd done so well with obiedience and has not been broken by the experience. In fact he;s really come into himself these past couple of months. We are especially proud of this photo as it was a stranger in a mask, and he happily went to place as asked and practically ignored her till given his break word "ok" wish we had pictures of him sniffing madly at her trying to find a face!!

Merry Christmas everybody!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 02:53:41 am »
if mouthing is a problem, have you tried a gentle leader (or halti lead) this would control his head, and give you more control over his actions, this would also put the leash less accessible to him.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 03:51:06 am »

Sounds like you need a new trainer!  Any trainer who advises a shock collar for a pup going up a lead is lacking real training skills. A shock collar is a cop out for a trainer, and since most trainers out there do not have any training certification or education in behavior science, they are often ill-equipped to show us how to get the animal to do what we want.  This is an issue of developing better communication between the two of you and this early, impressionable age...and from what you describe, he is working hard to understand what you want.

I would seriously consider a new trainer before buying a shock collar - a good trainer should be CPDT certified and understand animal behavior science:  www.apdt.com

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar