Author Topic: Look what I found...  (Read 4764 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Look what I found...
« on: August 15, 2005, 01:02:33 pm »
Or, more accurately, what found me...

This little girl was wandering around my neighborhood. She has a large, old wound on her side that is healed, but feels like it has a lot of scar tissue so I don't think the hair will grow back. It's probably major road rash, but who knows.

She is plump, happy, playful, nice red gums, blue tongue, VERY smart! She slept in the crate last night after crying for about 5 minutes, but not a peep the rest of the night and no messes in the morning!

We are calling her Heidi and the local Humane Society has agreed to take her in their foster care program if no one claims her in a week.

Now, here's the problem. One of my neighbors said she belongs to someone at the end of my street. When I moved into my house 6 years ago, these people had 2 dogs (one that looked a lot like this little girl) that looked like they had not been fed in 2 months. You could stand 3 feet away from the dogs and see the fleas jumping off them. They would let these dogs constantly wander around the neighborhood. I called the animal shelter on them and the dogs were taken away in lieu of prosecution for neglect (I hate it when they do that - why can't the take the dogs away AND prosecute!).

I DO NOT want this puppy going back to these people because as soon as it's not a cute little puppy anymore I'm afraid they are going to start ignoring her and stop feeding her. What do I do?? Our neighborhood consists of only 2 parallel streets. Word is sure to get back to them that I have the puppy, especially if we're going to be fostering her (there are no other foster homes open). She is not neglected as of yet - see her nice plump belly - and I can't just assume their neglect caused her wounds (but I wouldn't doubt it).

HELP!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Look what I found...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 01:09:57 pm »
I don't know how animal control works exactly... but.. if they've already had animals taken away there must be someway that the law would not let them have another...  expecially since she's already gotten loose and was wandering around...   but maybe that just if the world was perfect.  Lets just hope that word does not get back to them.

She is sooo cute! 

p.s.  Sophie has the same bed   ;)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 01:15:04 pm »
Well, our animal control has gone through a lot of changes in the last 6 years, and 3 different managers so I don't think they would even have this on record anymore. And, since they didn't prosecute for the neglect there would have been no judgement saying they couldn't own dogs in the future, either.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 01:23:06 pm »
aww she is super cute, I would contact animal control and see it she can be kept away from them. I would assume that if they do try and claim her they would have to pay a fine of some sort, dog off leash ect. maybe that would deter them from trying to get her, and tell the neighbours not to tell the nasty owners, they don't deserve her. I would ask plain out " Why do you want this girl to go back to them? DO you want her to be neglected and worse die in there care?
That might be enough for the word not to get back to them.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 01:25:08 pm »
I work closely with the shelter through the humane society. I e-mailed the director this morning and told her what I suspect. She didn't offer any suggestions and the fine to get the dogs back is only $4.00/day (our shelter is so backwards, but we're working on it - it's just going very slowly) so that's not much of a deterrent. I was going to be nice and put a found ad in the paper, but I think I'll refrain from doing that and just hope they don't call the shelter looking for her.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 01:31:07 pm »
That is a very good idea, to not put the ad in the paper. Will you get to be the one to pick the new home she goes to?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 01:33:37 pm »
Our foster/adoption process if very thorough. They have to fill out a 2-page application and have a home check done. If there are safety issues, etc. that need to be rectified, they cannot have the dog until they are corrected and have another home check to verify this. We interview them when extensively when they come see the dog and make sure everyone in the family is in agreement on the adoption and the dog gets along with any other pets in the family. I'm sure I'll have some input, but I trust our commitee.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 03:37:18 pm »
Well, Heidi's owners came looking for her. They do live where I thought, but I'm not sure they are the same people who lived there when I moved in as we have spoken to this person before - he and my husband both drive truck.

Anyway, I told him I was concerned that she was just running around loose and he said, "Oh, yeah she always comes back to our house, though. She likes to follow the kids around."

Yeah, probably because she's not getting enough attention at "home". and what happens if she decides to follow the kids up to the highway? What if they cross the highway to go to the library? Not a good plan, Stan!

I do have to give them props for saving her though. I guess they found her with the big wound on her, ringworms, etc. and took her to the vet to get her all fixed up (not sure if she got vaccinated, though). And all this while his wife is still in a wheelchair from a bad trucking accident.

Grrr.... my feelings are so mixed on this. At least she'll be close enough that we can keep an eye on her.

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 04:02:26 pm »
I think that all you can do is take comfort in the fact that she is near by and you can keep an eye out for any abuse or neglect....... ........  she is adorable.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 08:15:28 am »
It's just frustrating because I know she is very smart and will make a wonderful house pet in no time. She listens so well and is dying to be trained and taught new things, but I don't think she gets that at all.

I could be wrong, though. I tend to assume the worst in people, I think. I'll be taking the long way around the block for awhile, though.