Author Topic: Dogless Blues  (Read 18136 times)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Dogless Blues
« on: October 13, 2006, 08:15:29 am »
 So, hubby and I have been trying to bring home a furbaby for several months now, but to no avail due to...

*flaky people who decide at the last minute that they don't really want to get rid of the dog, even though they don't take care of it now.. grrr. >:(

*animal shelters that get your hopes up by posting the dog of your dreams, only to find out that that particular dog has already been adopted, "but we have an agrresive chihuahua lookign for a good home if you're interested"  ::)

*rescue groups requiring a "securely fenced yard"... we live on a private road on 30 plus acres. we don't let our dog outside of the house without us, period, even if we have a fence, and most importantly, what good would a six foot fence be when the yard sits under 8 feet of snow for several months out of the year? My husband would be be home with the dog mos of the day (or out walkign the grounds with him), wehave the financial resources, time, and love to provde a great home... but that stupid non-fence gets in the way.  >:(

*living in CA, where most of the dogs in shelters are eenie meenies, and most of the big pawsin shelters are halfway across the country.  :-\

Ugh, after the 7th failed dog attempt yesterday, I'm ready to give up. Or atleast wait until I have the chance to go out to Missouri again.  :'( I know the right pupper is out there for us somewhere... but I am just getting so impatient!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Dogless Blues
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 08:25:13 am »
I know that here in Southern Calif., the Newf Club is overwhelmed with Newf rescues.  Maybe you could get on the waiting list of some the breed rescue groups?

Nobody wanting a dog should go dogless!!! ;)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:29:41 am »
I briefly spoke with a lady with newf rescue of northern CA who said that as a general rule they don't adopt to homes without fencing, so we've been afraid to apply and get another no. But, I guess it's always worth another shot

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:52:07 am »
I know here in So. CA, they do home visits and really check the homes out individually.  Your situation sounds ideal, to me!  I would think, knowing a Newf, 30 acres is more than enough land to roam and a fence would probably be superfluous.  Cowoboy never strays more than six feet from the front door by himself.  Chester is another story, but he's a brown...suppos edly a different kettle of fish all together! ;D

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:56:30 am »
We even have a pond, a pool, and a creek  ;D Plus, we go out to the Lake (Echo, or Tahoe) on a weekly basis in the summer. 

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:24:20 am »
This issue always perplexes me. On the one hand, shelters are over-full and animals are getting put down by the thousands every day. And on the other hand, people who really want and can provide for a dog are being turned down! AGH!

I hate that!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:25:50 am »
Wow!  Where are you located?  We go to Lake Almanor all the time!!

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 09:49:01 am »
We're in Twin Bridges off Highway 50 before Sierra at Tahoe. We're about 20 minutes east of South Lake Tahoe

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 09:51:48 am »
This issue always perplexes me. On the one hand, shelters are over-full and animals are getting put down by the thousands every day. And on the other hand, people who really want and can provide for a dog are being turned down! AGH!

I hate that!

We had another group tell us that they would nto adopt a dog to us because we have a (very dog-savvy) cat. Apparently cats and dogs should not live together ???

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 01:35:48 pm »
We had another group tell us that they would nto adopt a dog to us because we have a (very dog-savvy) cat. Apparently cats and dogs should not live together ???

That is crazy! Our dog has a pet cat, that's his cat, she & he always seem to be around each other.  I've always had the both dogs & cat's and never had a problem.  Dogs when they are puppies do get on the cats nerves at times, but never any injuries or anything like that.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Luvmydanes

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 03:44:02 am »
I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you find the right puppy and soon. I kind of hate that about HS too. You find the dog of your dreams and for us, it was always an issue with our kids. If they are small and the dog is big, they won't let you take them home. It's kind of stupid. Not that the dog isn't or can't be trained to be around small kids, they just won't allow it period. But yet they have thousands of dogs that need homes. It's kind of bogus. Let us know if you do finally find something :D

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 04:16:20 am »
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Feel free to pm or e-mail me if I can help you find a dog for you or anything. You know, the Big Paws train is always ready to spring into action to get a dog literally "half-way across the country" to the person wanting it!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 07:54:07 am »
I am sure that we can help you find your dog-  just let us know what you are looking for and  am sure that one way or the other we can get him/her to you.Also keep in mind that Saint and Mal's Mom, she could probably help you as well. Good Luck and keep us posted and dont get discouraged.

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 10:58:06 am »
Thank you for all of your kind words :)I know that when we find our baby, we're going to be so thankful that we didn't end up with any of the others, but ti's hard to see that now.

We're especially fond of Newfies, but really just have a heart for big, big dogs. We need a dog that won't eat our cat, that won't have to wear a sweater during the winter (lots and lots of snow here!, and we love long haired dogs, though the hubby loves Danes as well), gets along with other dogs (we know we won't be able to stay a one dog famiyl forever, or even very long at all!), and doesn't have any people aggression issues (we work at a camp and so have strangers around frequently, though never unsupervised with our puppers). We have vet references, personal references, and would be more than willing to give a tour of the place, or send videos/pictures to those too far to visit.

We have a heart for special needs dogs, and senior puppers. We'd prefer an adult to a puppy. Separation anxiety? Bring it on. Needs some housebreakign practice? No problem. Little lacking in the obedience department? We can take it (heck, we work with troubled ttens most of the time! At least dogs don't do drugs or make out in the bushes!) Medical issues? We can take it in stride, as long as he or she has sufficient mobility to be able to take walks on rolling hills. (There's no such thing as flat space around here). We also need a dog that is, in general, dependable off leash.

I know it sounds like a huge list, but we're not that picky, I promise! We live in the Lake Tahoe/Sacramento area of CA and are willing to personally drive 8-10 hours to bring home our baby. So, if any of the eagle-eyed out there have anyone in mind, please let us know!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 01:28:34 pm »
Hang in there!  I went through this same thing! I have two small boys (8 and 4), a fenced in patio- it does have a small grass area- BUT we live across the street from a huge open space park that my boys and I spend all our free time at (Why spend money to do something when you can go on a hike and see Owls, foxes, racoons, etc and have a blast for FREE?).  Anyway, I tried to adopt through the Saint Bernard rescue and they wouldn't accept me because of the boys and because they were worried about my small back yard.  I know they're trying to do the best thing for the dog, and they don't know whether I'm going to take that dog for walks, or train it to be safe around kids... so I understand, but it's frustrating when you KNOW you could provide a loving home for a dog that needs one and everything seems to stop you!  I finally got Bella, and things are good- so I know that it can happen for you too!

I will keep my eyes open for you too... Best of luck! Oh, and whoever said it earlier is right on- you DO have the perfect situation for a happy puppers. ;D ;D
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat