Author Topic: Dogless Blues  (Read 18135 times)

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Dogless Blues
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 09:51:16 am »
don't give up.........the y just make your life so more complete.
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 10:14:36 am »
You guys can adopt me.  I weigh as much as a big paw and love open space.  ;)

You'll find the right one, I promise...

Julie

Only if you promise to drool, shed, and not eat my slippers! ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 01:31:45 pm »
I know how you feel.  I had the same problem when looking at a particular dane rescue (the only in the area that had puppies, which is what I needed).  We had a fence on two sides of our yard when we moved in, and we finished putting up a 5 ft fence on the rest.  They denied us b/c the one side (that was there when we moved in) was only 4 ft.

I also raised the question on the purpose of a fence when you get snow which we would be around once we moved (and I told the rescue that).  Even an 8 ft fence would do no good if you get more than 4 ft of snow a year (which many places do).  Which is why I ended up going thru a breeder.  I was just too frustrated to continue looking at rescues.

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 05:34:44 am »
The hubby and I have considered putting up some sort of fence just to say "we have a fence", but I wouldn't even know where to put it! The terrain up here is so rugged and there are so many trees, etc that we wouldn't even know where to begin. Plus, four feet of snow is one thing, but the 8-10 that we sit under from December to March, we'd need an uber fence. And, they're even predicting more snow than normal this winter, so we'll be up close to 12-15 ish.
Hubby is cute though "we have a fence around the pool, doesn't that count?"
I really don't want to go through a breeder, I just have such a heart for rescue that it would kill me. I know there are so many dogs out there that need good homes, apparently just better homes than we can give- grumble gurmble. (It's morning, I'm allowed to be grumpy  ;)) Plus, I'd much rather have an adult than a puppy (I know, I'm weird) But I also know that if we're still dogless in 6 months, we'll have to go that route. (Hubbers is quite anxious to have a pupper to love and play with) But, we'll see. We're marching on.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 06:01:35 am »
Have you heard anything back from Newf rescue?

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 06:04:38 am »
I got an email from Cathy this morning, and sent an email to Laurie with rescue to see what we have to do to proceed. Grizzly is absolutely adorable- I just want to hug him through the computer! So, fingers crossed andhoping things will work out!

By the way, you are my hero  ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 07:02:50 am »
GREAT news!  Fingers and paws crossed that it will work out!  Please know that I'm available to transport!!  Will you keep us posted??

Kirsti

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 07:06:10 am »
Good luck, hope all works out well!

~K

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 07:38:19 am »
We will most certainly keep you posted. I think the only issue will be getting a home check- we're rather an awful distance to drive to, but I'm hoping hoping hoping that this works out. Thanks for the offer for transport, we migth just take you up on it, or maybe we'll just race down there and brign him home as soon as we possibly can!  ;D If we can, we're really hopeful but trying not to get excited, as we've been let down so many times before. Hubbs made me promise not to even think about names until he's sleeping on our couch..

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 07:57:58 am »
I will keep all fingers, toes and paws crossed for you.  It sounds like you can give a pupper a wonderful forever home.

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 08:03:51 am »
Hope you find a dog soon. The house is so empty with out them. A Newf is a good choice. We had Lady until she was eight. We lost her to cancer. She was about a year old when we got her from a breeder. She had been shown in puppy classes and was one of the owners family dogs. They knew her hips weren't going to certify so they gave her to me. She nver has any problem with them.

You are right. When we were looking for another dog this winter it was very discouraging. The applications ask more questions than if you wer adopting a skinkid.

Hang in there. It will happen when you are least expecting it.  Mine always have come that way until we got Lollie.

You have a great place for a pupper or two it sounds like.

Skippy
Central New York

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 02:49:49 pm »
Oh, I hope this dog works out for you! Are there any pictures? Is it a boy or girl? How old? Give us all the details!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 04:29:42 am »
Haha, his name is Grizzly and he is a 3 1/2 year old brown Newf. Apparently he is very mellow, likes getting to meet new people, doesn't eat cats (Abby is thankful for that) and just an all-around amazing boy. He was purchased from a breeder/quasi puppy-miller in the Midwest for a family where the daughter had extreme asthma problems, and no amount of grooming could help. So, that's how he ended up in Rescue.

I have no idea how to post a picture on here, so no pictures yet. But just picture the most adorable Newf (other than all the BPOers, of course) you've ever seen with a big bone in his mouth.

We foudn out this morning that they are officially considering us, so we will have to fill out the application, newflvr will most likely do a home check, and, hopefully, we'll be new parents before too long!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 03:52:50 pm »
It's official.  I get to do the home check!  It all sounds very positive, so far.  Hopefully Grizzly will have a forever home soon and Dogless Blues won't be dogless much longer!!

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:10 am »
Yeah, but I know that he's thinking of names too. This big fibber.

I actually kind fo like the name Grizzly, except that we live in an area with quite a few bears (blacks and browns) and I figure that calling out "Grizzly!" to a large brown creature in the forest at night might be a little frightening to some.  :o