Author Topic: Dogless Blues  (Read 18137 times)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Dogless Blues
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 09:51:53 am »
Home check is tomorrow! We're excited, guess it's time to hide the bomb making materials. (kidding)

Hopefulyl we'll be a fit home and on our way to a new baby!
Grizzly does sound like a perfect fit, so we're soo keeping fingers crossed.

I always end up with first anme choice, though he gets veto power. Generally we can agree pretty easily, but picking out a name is never easy. I have a few up my sleeve, but mum's the word until he's "sleeping on our couch"  : ;D

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 11:42:04 am »
Alright, I am such a sucker for things like this.

So my husband and I are installing new carpet upstairs this weekend. The color is dark brown (kind of like our almost-maybe new furbaby). And the color name? Grizzly. How's that for coincidence?! (I picked out the carpet more than a month ago)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2006, 07:56:15 am »
Oh, I hope everything goes okay for you! Let us know how it goes!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2006, 05:44:38 pm »
The visitation was awesome!  If there is a more heavenly place for a Newf I can't imagine it.  Kids, streams, people, hikes, ponds, snow!!!  How much more could a Newf need??  Chester was ready to settle in!  If my vote counts for anything, Grizzly is going to have his very own forever home.  Now it's up to the Newf Club to weigh in!!!

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2006, 04:22:50 am »
Aww shucks. We're honored that you like us.  :)

The good news is that everythign went just fine with the home check... other than the attempted kidnapping of Cowboy and Chester (my darn pockets weren't big enough).

The bad news is that Grizzly went to the Newf picnic this weekend and he growled and barked at any of the other Newfs that got too close to him for too long. Now, he is fine with the foster mom's dog, and the neighbor's dog, but apparently not a big fan of other other Newfs. However, this is most likely a training issue, and as long as hubs is up for it, it won't change our minds, but still a bit of a bummer.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2006, 05:18:46 am »
Wow!  I haven't heard from the foster mom so hadn't heard the latest.  It does seem strange though.  Some Newfs, if they haven't been around other dogs as big as they are, can be intimidated by someone their own size.  Then to be at the picnic where there are 20 or 30 Newfs....could be he was overwhelmed! 

That's all the more of a reason to have TWO!!!   ;)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2006, 05:59:24 am »
Well, good news! Hubs still wants him, growly boy attitude and all, so now just waiting to receive our application and hopefully our own fluffball!

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 12:24:10 pm »
We sent in the app today (actually, we faxed it, because we're overly excited) So, keep those fingers crossed!

In other news, Grizzly got his CGC on Sunday!

And, Hubs, Mr. "Don't even think of names until he is sleeping on our couch" already picked out a name himself. The stinker.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 12:32:47 pm »
YEA!! 

I got an email from Laurie saying she was waiting for your app. to "move forward with the adoption".  That sounds positive to me!!! ;D ;D ;D

And congrats to Griz on his CGC!!  That is significant!! 

What name is Grizzly going to be known by in his new life??  (the cheater!! ;))

Kirsti

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 12:45:10 pm »
Oh! I'm so excited for you!!

~K

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 12:47:20 pm »
Woohoo! That does sound positive!

We decided on the name Izzy- still close to Grizzly, but not the name of a bear. We're still workign on a middle name for when he's in trouble.  ;)

I just want to know that he's ours and that he gets to come home with us!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2006, 01:52:10 pm »
Believe or not, I'm as excited as you!!!  It's sort of like setting someone up on a blind date and waiting for SOMEBODY to 'pop the question!!!'

Izzy's a great name! He won't get in to trouble, though.  Look at Chester:  he jumped out of the car window when we were going to lunch....was he in trouble??  Okay, maybe with dh!!! The rest of us just laughed!!!

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 05:03:16 am »
Well, the application was more of a formality than anything else, and now we're trying to set up a time to meet. If they don't need both my husband and I to come down, it might just be this weekend. But if they need both of us, it will probably have to wait a few weeks or so. But, we are excited!!!

There's no way Chester should have been in trouble for jumping out the window! He was just proving his mom right when she said he could and would jump out! I hope you gave him an extra belly rub for provig dh wrong  ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 06:55:22 pm »
I can't wait to hear what happens.  I'm not far from Cathy and Grizzly so if you want to meet up, just let me know.  Cowboy and I work Saturday mornings, but other than that, we're pretty free!!

I'm glad we've made it past all the stages so far!  Congrats!

And Chester's wild adventure has given dh the benefit of great story telling!  Anybody who has met Chester would understand!  Don't think he's quite ready for his CGC!!! ::)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Dogless Blues- Update
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2006, 04:30:35 am »
Well, there's good news, and there's really bad news.
The good news is that we're approved for Grizzly! Yay!

The bad news is that we can't take him. While finishign up th elast of the repairs in the house, we found a disaster. Wht we thought was a small, water damaged spot in the bathroom turned out to be hiding lots of significant water damge that has actually rotted through part of the floor. We also discovere dthat the bathroom is done in regular sheetrock, instead of greenboard, and is a breeding ground for mold (very wet conditions up here in snow season!) if it isn't replaced. So, the whole bathroom has to be re-rocked, and the floor has to be replaced. Not the flooring, the floor itself. Ugh. And, for the icing on the cake, the water damaged wall is a shared wall between the kitchen and bathroom, and so that wall in the kitchen needs to be redone as well. Even better, that's the wall with the cuonter, the sink, the cabinets, etc. So, we're looking at 3-4 weeks of major repairs, that will turn our house into a construction zone. We'll actually have to move out for awhile at some point.

So, everythign worked out on every end but ours. We're heartbroken, as we were soo so so excited for Grizzly. But, we also know that it wouldn't be fair to bring him home with us in the middle of this kind of craziness. It's just so frustrating. We had finally finished everythign that we wanted to do this season, thought we were done, and , No, it starts all over  :'(