Author Topic: Why not adopt out of area  (Read 6247 times)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Why not adopt out of area
« on: October 13, 2006, 10:10:06 am »
I was wondering from folks who rescue, why do so many
stick their noises up at out of area adoptions?
I would think this would be counter productive and have many dogs miss out on wonderful forever homes.

For instance, I have a wonderful place, my critters are all well cared for and loved. They have excellent vet care, I have refer's.
Had Cricket not of been willing to consider adopting to me cause I didn't live in Alabama, we would not have our much loved Mozart. I can't imagine life without him now that he is here.
IN my quest to offer another deaf Dane a loving foever home,even though I have offered video of my place, vet and neighbor refer's and more, I have had 3 folks in other states tell me no, we do not deviate from our adoption area.
And all I can think of is, HAVE YOU ANY IDEA what kind of home and love you are turning down?
I have not said this but I think it when this happens.
So for any of you out there in rescue who do not adopt out of your area, you may want to coinsider what you may be passing up.
I don't mean me, I mean others willing to adopt but who may not be in your areas.
I hope for the day there are no more homelsss animals  :'(

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Why not adopt out of area
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 10:25:32 am »
I hear ya! The rescue I used to work with had that same policy. :P
They try to place dogs in good homes, they really try. What I found was the main reason for the no-long-distance thing was in case the adoption didn't work out... adopters had to sign a form saying they would return the dog to the rescue group if it didn't work out. It would have been really hard to enforce that if adoptions were far away. Also home checks are often required.

It's tough doing rescue! I think everyone is just doing what they can, and some rescuers just can't imagine not having the option of visiting the dogs again. I guess I can see both sides.

I'm sorry you have been turned down. :-[ That is sad. It must be very frustrating for you. :'(

I don't know what the answer is. I think unfortunately in the rescue world, there are not enough people working together. There is a lot of weird competition and bad feelings, and I'm not sure why. I guess homeless dogs bring out a LOT of emotion in people. If rescue groups would all work together, maybe have some kind of organized home check system, then your home could be approved and then you could adopt any dog who was available. That would be ideal. I don't know if anyone is really working towards that. There are just so many dogs in need, and I think a lot of rescuers are really frustrated and scared, and VERY overprotective of the dogs they take in.

Emotions everywhere!!!!!!! :-\

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:35:46 am »
ahhh no biggie, I feel when it is right it will be.
I just thought I would start up a conversation about this topic.
I did find another deafie but I need to do some research as I have no sight impaired experience and this dog is deaf as well as sight impaired. I want to read up on it and ask questions before I take the leap.
And I have Garrett coming from Texas soon.  ;D
Not a deafie but a lovie to say the least  ;D
I'm not sad or frustrated at being turned down, I am frustrated at the dogs who lose out on some very wonderful home due to this. It makes one think.

This post to me is not only a learning experience to me but may speak and educate others as well as myself.

And home visits are just the interviewers opinion.
Other than the ovious, what does one look for? Warm fuzzies? Feelings?
I was turned down years ago cause I lived in a single wide mobile home.  ::)(About 12 yrs back) My critters were happy and healthy and vetted, my yard fenced and I had excellent refers and was turned down cause I lived in a mobile.

I'd be curious to know what anyone here on the board looks for when they do home visits? Cause with my taking the workshops at Best Friends soon and my wanting to start a rescue and sancuary, I have much to learn myself.
Not everyone lives as we do and their pets are healthy, happy and loved. We can't always judge a person cause they live differently then us. I know this will be a challange I'll come across in my rescue future.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:37:41 am by MSF »

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 11:53:37 am »
When I had lost my male Pyr last February, I immediatley turned to a rescue group. It was not the best experience. I have since rescued 2 Pyrs who had been abandoned that had not been placed in a rescue group. Also when the Danes were in the City Shelter- the several Dane Rescue groups that I called never even responded.I know that the rescue groups are great groups and that you have to be careful in placement, especially on certain breeds (pits for example) but I also think that a lot of dogs do not go to loving homes because of the rescue groups.
I am honored to know that MSF will be adding Garrett to her home. He is going to go to someone who will love him and take care of him for the rest of his life. I also know that it is easy to love more than one dog and I think that it is great that she is willing to take in another Deafie.
I am going to support her in any way that I can in her persuit to open her own sanctuary. It takes a special person to be able to do that and she is a special person.

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:19:04 pm »
some rescues here in British Columbia do long distance adoptions. What impresses me is that they still have the same check list and that other rescues who live closer to the potential home will go in on behalf of the rescue and do a home check.
This is one way of being able to adopt to out of towners/out of Staters or out of Country folks. As long as you have a system set up and a trustworthy network , adopting to long distance homes should be no different than arranging a transport.

I would encourage it as it opens up more chances for an animal to find that forever home.
One never knows if an animal will be returned down the line, but I do think one can tell if an adopter will treat this animal as a family member and therefore make life work just as they would for their human kids.

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 12:22:19 pm »
awwwwww you brat  :)
As I was reading your post BigDogs my eyes welled up with tears. You're so sweet. Thank you so much for being so kind and supportive.
Hey are you gonna post about Garrett's short transport ordeal or shall I lol   ;D
Poor guy, were you able to get the goat smell off him?

Offline gabeshouse

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 12:35:40 pm »
Knowing that rescues operate on very limited rescources, it probably makes sense to focus on a more localized area. Before I got Gabe, I tried to adopt from a rescue. The whole reason it didn't work was distance. A home visit was required for the process and they were having trouble connecting with someone close enough to do the visit. The thing I didn't understand was finding out that if I was approved, they may decide which dog they felt best suited me rather than letting me make that decision.
They say everthing works for the best. I found Gabe on Petfinder during the wait for home visit. Owner moved to "no pets allowed". When I went to visit Gabe at the owners parents, it didn't take long to know it was meant for me to bring this pup home.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 12:46:49 pm »
I'm excited for you and your new brindle boy! :)

I always go by a gut feeling when I am interviewing a potential adopter. As for homechecks, at least in my experience, it has nothing to do with the size of the home or what type. It is really a matter or making sure that it's a safe environment for the dog. See, some folks actually lie about their living situation. It has happened, luckily not to me, where someone claims they live in a huge house with a yard, but in reality they live in a small apartment... :-\ I have done two homechecks and both turned out fantastic. It's nice to know where your rescue is going to be living, when possible.

Just over a year ago, I adopted a wonderful dog to a home in Canada, from Tennessee! ;D You may know that dog as Rollie, he now lives with BPO member Dogs4ever. ;D I certainly have never regretted my gut feeling to "adopt out of area"!!! :D

cricket36580

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 01:19:15 pm »
But if I hadn't known you for as long as I did, I wouldn't have adopted long distance.  I don't mind placing far away if it's someone I know and someone I know will take care of the dog.  However...If I don't know you and I can't "see" your place and speak to you several times face to face I doubt I'm going to place in a long distance home.  It's too easy for people to lie.  People can interview wonderfully and then later you find out they're psychos.  I've already had it happen once.   ::)  I've placed twice long distance.  Both have worked out better than anyone could have hoped.  Each were almost a custom fit.  But I wouldn't do that with just anyone...I'd be scared to death!  I also want to be able to see the dogs occassionally and continue knowing the family I placed with. 

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 01:41:51 pm »
We've adopted both of our adopted pups from a distance. If Mowglie had been adopted closer we probably would have taken him back when he was younger, he came with a whole load of baggage.  Friends of ours all said we should drop he off at the pound, have him put down, etc.. No way. 
I'm really glad he wasn't from closer & we didn't , we worked through it and he's just a super great little dog now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 01:42:58 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 02:42:19 pm »
We also have had issues with rescues not willing to place adoptees out of state. That is why we went to a breeder for Merlin. We wanted a Great Dane, were prepared researched, had raised dobies for 15 years, excellent vet and personal references and it still wasn't enough dog experience for "their" danes in rescue. I can understand your frustration because we were there too. I can also understand the reluctance of the rescuers too, when I hear and see some of the things posted on here, and the morons that they have to deal with on a daily basis. I mean I know we are good people, and you know we are good people, but they need to be sure.
Stella

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 02:47:30 pm »
But if I hadn't known you for as long as I did, I wouldn't have adopted long distance.  I don't mind placing far away if it's someone I know and someone I know will take care of the dog.  However...If I don't know you and I can't "see" your place and speak to you several times face to face I doubt I'm going to place in a long distance home.  It's too easy for people to lie.  People can interview wonderfully and then later you find out they're psychos.  I've already had it happen once.   ::)  I've placed twice long distance.  Both have worked out better than anyone could have hoped.  Each were almost a custom fit.  But I wouldn't do that with just anyone...I'd be scared to death!  I also want to be able to see the dogs occassionally and continue knowing the family I placed with. 

and all I can say is
thank you
thank you
thank you
I cannot imagine life without Mozart.
He is so wonderful.
He is very much love, spoiled and pampered.
So when are you gonna get your butt out here and visit Cricket? It is your duty to check on him  ;) ;D
(Bet that will get her out here hehe)
Then after you check on Mozart we can take the ferry over to Seattle and shop.  :)

Bigdogs has to come cause he brother lives in the next town over  :P
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 02:50:06 pm by MSF »

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • When There's A Will, There's A Way
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 11:43:05 am »
Most of the dogs I've placed have been long distance adoptions and have worked out great.  The ones I've placed in the general area are most often the ones that do not work out.

I couldn't ask for a better home for Foster-who went to Cricket.  I've got one in Colorado, one in Michigan, one in Illinois, and one in Washington state.

I know they are all extremely well cared for and couldn't ask for a better home.  For the most part, the people who adopted them were either members of a forum I belong to, or recommended by people on a forum.

So, personally, I don't have a problem with out of area adoptions.  Of course, I'm going to reference check and if a home check can't be done, I would take a video or pictures of a place instead.
Emily and the gang

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 04:02:15 am »
and all I can say is
thank you
thank you
thank you
I cannot imagine life without Mozart.
He is so wonderful.
He is very much love, spoiled and pampered.
So when are you gonna get your butt out here and visit Cricket? It is your duty to check on him  ;) ;D
(Bet that will get her out here hehe)
Then after you check on Mozart we can take the ferry over to Seattle and shop.  :)

Bigdogs has to come cause he brother lives in the next town over  :P

MSF, where do you live???? I live just outside of Gig Harbor, WA. From your comment above, it sounds like you are very local to me. Potential Playdate????
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA