Author Topic: How many is to many?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
How many is to many?
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:17:48 pm »
I'd love to explore this and see what answers folks come up with. How many pets is to many pets?
What is the differences between a pet lover/Rescuer and a horder/collector?

Is it totally based on the animals care?

Looking forward to exploring this subject.  :)

bigdogs@5501

Re: How many is to many?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:37:54 pm »
Too many is when you no longer have time to give each and every one of them personal time. I have explored this topic several times and an individual has to know what thier limits really are, which is really difficult for some people.
I spend a lot of time with each and every one of my babies on a daily basis, some need more attention than others. Also I trust in God not to send me more than I can handle- I am a firm believer that if it is meant to be, then it will happen and I will have the support I need. I wasnt looking for Annie and Garrett, never even contemplated it, but it happened and it has worked out well.

As far as a horder, my vet and I were talking- she said that she has a client who has 70 dogs. That is a horder. This lady cant walk away from a dog. Those dogs are being fed and cared for but where is the personal attention?  There is no way that she is emotionally given all of those dogs what they need. I think that could also border on a mental issue ( personal opionion here)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 04:12:08 am »
I think I pretty much agree with all of you. But I wouldn't put a set number and say, "Oh, you have exceeded this pet number, so now you are a bad owner." I think it's more like you all said. Are the receiving care? Are they being cared for in a good way? Is the person spending time with the animals or do they just have them there? And as much as I hate to say it, money does play a role. If you cannot afford to have any pets, then you shouldn't have any. If you can, then great. Just because I could care for 5 more dogs, doesn't mean I can afford them and then I don't think I should have them. Also, where the dogs live plays a role. Do the 2 dogs someone has right now live in filth or in not the best places or conditions? Then they probably shouldn't get anymore animals until that changes. But those are just my opinions.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 04:21:56 am »
I totaly agree with all of you... Too many..is when you cannot aforde it, or spend time with it... The others stated it better then me... so I'm not going to write to much... every person has there limits...and they should know what they are... and if a life (any life) is in the balance... they should think and reason before they commit.

~K

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 06:50:57 am »
Neat to see the answers, hoping to see more.
But here's some food for thought  ;D
I was a caretaker for a horse ranch.
I fed nearly 70 horses 3 times a day.
Ok as they got fed they got talked to.
As they got watered they got talked to and petted.
If one was out of sorts I could tell.
I went in between feeding times and checked on them, talked to them. I cut up carrots and apples and threw in some horse cookies and went each night and gave them out.
No I didn't clean stalls, but the folks who did didn't care for the horses like I did.
Now I can personally see myself taking total care of say 35 (what I mean is cleaning stalls and putting them out in the mornings and bringing them inside at night.

I can see caring for 70 dogs, (Physical work and attention wise, not finacially) but I won't lol
I know mushers who have 40 and 60 dogs who love and care for them dearly. I know mushers who don't.  :'(

And my personal situation, my son  :P says I am weird and abnormal  ;D (not that I give a hoot)
I have 9 cats, 1 outdoor and 8 indoor. Most are rescues.
I vacume my home each day, sometimes twice. I clean the litter boxes out at least twice a day. They are loved and wanted and UTD on shots and spayed and neutered. (except for one who needs to be done in the next month)
Two don't want any attention although I kind of gently force it on them so they are not toally wild. The others are always getting a snuggle here, a pet there, being talked to. When I am on this pc there are usually 2 on the back of my chair purring in my ear and at least on in the chair with me or on my lap  ::)
So what is so weird and abnormal about me?
My life, my choice. I tell my son to mind his own business. :D  I know my limits, I stopped fostering for a rescue cause I was adopting my fosters  :o ;)

So in our evaluations where does one draw the line before assuming another is a horder?
To me if they are loved, wanted, fed well, vetted, groomed and clean (can't say not starved for attention cause I have seen one dog only homes where the dog feels no amount of attention is enough)  ::)

Going into rescue and the upcoming workshops I am going to take, I am very much interested in what I may come up against. Knowing my yuppy sons think their country mum is totally whacked  :D (Even though I have a throw away dog from one and a throw away cat from another.)  >:( :'(

Maybe sometimes folks are to quick to judge and sometimes not. Looking forward to exploring this topic more, keep it coming  ;)

Signed,
Momma of 9 cats, 10 rabbits, 15 goats, 2 dogs soon to be 5.
and as of this coming Weds, 110 chickens.
E I E I OOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO   :D

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 06:53:12 am by MSF »

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 07:43:31 am »
Hey, if you can handle it, financially, physically, time-wise, space-wise, and in every other way, I say go for it! I want like 20 plus dogs when I get older! And if I can do it, you can bet I will! But if I am unable to in any way, I just won't. Sounds simple to me. But then that's just me!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 09:25:43 am »
LOL no need to apologize.
This is quite educational.
As some of you may know I plan to open a sancuary some day. I am currently educating myself as to all aspects of this endeavor. Taking classes and seminars and workshops and visiting sancuaries.

Me personally, I don't care what anyone thinks about em cause I know in my heart how my animals are family to me.
I'm just that way.  :D ;D :P
I tell my son to mind his own business all the time.
(BTW I have a cat I got from this son 3 years ago that he and his wife wanted to be rid of after my granddaughter was born, the same son who thought I should put such cat to sleep when it had an urinary blockage about 2 years back and the surgery was like $600.)  :o

I know rescuers who have 20 and 30 dogs but thinks a person with more than 2 has to many.
I have seen filthy homes with only 2 or 3 pets and then went to a rescuers home 10 years back and could not believe how clean and clean smelling her place was as I counted at least 12 cats. (She is kind of my roll model, I remember her place so well)

I guess much of this subject can be ones personal opinion. My other son (who by the way I have his dog for the last almost 2 years) thinks everyone should have one dog and they were so smug about their $300. petmart doggy bed.  ::)
Heck for $300. I can go and get 15 cushy comforters that would last one dog 15 years  :P
When I get into this sancuary stuff, what would I look for in home interviews/visits with multiple pets?

For me,
seeing health records
How the animals interact with each other
Their sleeping and eating quarters
Their ourdoor space
What kind of food do they feed
Cleanilness
Talking to neighbors
Etc

I know anyone can come to my home at anytime and
they can tell the house was vacumed that day and there is no more than about 8 hrs of poop and pee in the litter box.
(That's if they come first thing in the morning when I wake up)  ;)

And another thought, why do some want to live in a huge home requiring so much upkeep, or a tiny apt with no room, or a farm, I guess we all have out preferences.
I have seen dogs in apts better well rounded and happy than on a huge farm.
Case by case I guess.