Author Topic: Anyone else have family who aren't animal lovers?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Anyone else have family who aren't animal lovers?
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:34:31 am »
I was wondering if anyone else here deals with family who visit who are not animal lovers?
I have to crate my dogs when my mother comes to visit. Luckily these visits are short and only once or twice a week. I still fel bad for my 'kids'

I do out of respect vacume change throws on chairs before company comes.
What all do other folks have to deal with?

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else have family who aren't animal lovers?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 10:37:25 am »
Oh, I will have soooo much to reply to you on this topic, but I have to go to work right now. I will post later!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:53:34 am »
They may not be animal lovers, but they do have to adapt when they visit here:  it is the animals' house!  ;)  Everybody who wants to visit knows to wear clothes that can take the drool, preferably jeans.  The Newfs always quiet down after the initial introduction so it's not too much of an issue.

That would be SO tough if we had people in the family that were nasty about it!!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 12:35:21 pm »
my mother in law isn't a dog lover at all.  she kinda panics when she comes in the house and the girls are all over her ... and my niece (who's only 1) don't seem to like their biggness either.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 03:15:47 pm »
Okay, one of my grandmas can't stand animals. At all. So she won't stay at our house when she comes. She loves us and all and respects that we have the animals, but if we've been say holding our cat and then go to hug her, she won't let us. The rest of our family is okay with the animals but they aren't crazy about them like I am, that's for sure! Or they just don't understand why on earth we have two big dogs and two cats.  ::) And they think the things we do for them are a bit extreme too. And then I have an aunt, uncle, and some cousins who haven't had the best experiences with dogs (dog bit my cousin when he was little) so they don't like any animals. They think they are dirty. Come on! Drool is cool! Most of the people in my family adjust to our cats better than our dogs. But oh well!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 02:50:59 am »
i have teens and some of my daughters friends are real turned off by the drool. i think it is so funny!! ozzy just loves the kids so he is always all over them. sitting on their laps.  i dont find too much negative comments but i only have one so far . patti

Luvmydanes

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 03:47:10 am »
My brother and my sister are not animal lovers. I usually put my dogs in their "room" when they come over, but every once in a while I leave them out just to annoy them. lol maybe that is bad on my part, but this is their house afterall.

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 04:45:47 pm »
I've made it quite clear to both friends and family that if you do not like my dogs, please don't feel it necessary to visit.

I'm sorry, I do not go to other people's houses and attempt to define what they can or cannot have/do in thier homes, the same works in reverse.

Besides, that gets me out of obligatory hosting duties for family get-togethers! (The bright side of every cloud you know...)

This means that one of my girlfriends no longer visits my home. Oh well, we either meet out or don't see each other as often. She's a dog fan (Has 2 Dobes), but hates drool, so Onyx is definately out, and Apollo makes her uncomfortable because "He looks mean." Whatever that means...
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 07:22:27 am »
OH MY GOD...  I am sooo dealing with this right now.  We have moved from San Diego to Indiana and are staying with my mom right now.  The original plan was that since my dads house is huge compared to my moms that we would stay with him.  Well after a 3000 mile trip across country we finally get to his house.  He invites us in and we are all heading towards the house.  He says noooo  there is a chain and a dog house up on the hill for those two.  Now this is the man that knows that my fur kids are just as important as my skin kids.  Oh did I mention that the temp was a good 50 degrees colder than what they are used to on top of the fact that neither one of them have EVER slept outside on thier own before let alone ever been chained up.  So to make a long story shorter we are staying at my moms in a very small bedroom with me my husband and our 5 year old son and both dogs cause my dad says his house is a no dog house.  How can you invite people to stay with you and say it wont be a problem then turn around and tell them that only half of thier family is welcome.  that is just plain WRONG.  thanks for letting me vent. Hopefully it will all be over soon.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 12:27:55 pm »
Oh, my goodness. I could go on and on.

My mother...she tries...but she really just doesn't like the dogs. Or cats. She NEVER comes to my house. Which is OK, but sometimes, I just don't want to go to her house everytime we see one another. She used to complain majorly about my Pitty/American Bully X. She said he was "ugly" and "albino" (huh?) and that he should just get thrown off the roof. WTF?! YOU PSYCHO!

Anyway, yeah. Most of my family thinks I'm nuts and just does NOT understand my love for my dogs and cats. I say, "Yay! Don't come bother me then!" But, really it upsets me that they never come over, but still expect me to be an active member of the family-get together. GRRR!

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 03:25:42 pm »
My inlaws are terrible about that. They won't stay at my house (which really doesn't bother me) and complain if we get a new pet. They don't know that we have Moose and are coming to town on Wednesday boy are they in for a shock. They will probably complain about it but i just let it roll off my back. I've learned to ignore them afterall they were the same people that complain because I dress my daughter in pink.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 11:11:33 am »
Well, I probably shouldn't be complaining about my parents b/c I am living with them at the moment and they were kind enough to let me bring all 4 plus my tiel to stay.  Since they already had one dog and two cats in the house, I can't say they aren't animal lovers.  They just don't necessarily like MY animals.

They love Keiko, my first dog. She's well trained and very well behaved.  Being 8 yrs old, I would hope so.  Although lately she hasn't been on their good side, either after she was discovered stealing food off the counter (which she would NEVER try at home).  They think Gunther is too big for inside the house, and didn't even notice when he broke his tail! (I was out of town and noticed w/i an hour of getting home).  Since he has now broken a very nice lamp and glass dish, he's not exactly on their nice list right now.

My mom finds Nigel and Posey just plain annoying and is not a little dog person, to say the least.  However, Nigel is in love with my mom and won't leave her alone and jumps on her every chance he gets.  I've told her to be firm with him, but she refuses so he continues to jump even though he knows he's not supposed to.  She thinks they are intellectually slow (they've been a pain to potty train)and pests.

My brother is definitely not the animal lover either.  He lives in the area and every time he visits, he comments that now he knows why he's never had pets.  He is very annoyed that Nigel and Posey are allowed on the furniture.  Hey, I figure if the cats can do it, why can't they?  They're actually smaller than the cats.

Ah well, I can't wait to move out of here so things can get back to normal (and I can add to the pack).

Kirsti

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 12:29:14 pm »
I'm sorry for you guys, I guess I'm fairly lucky. My family loves my girl, My mom has a slight problem with me thinking about geting another one, but I'm sure when I do, she will love her. My brother likes cats and only one type of dog... GSD.. which isn't a bad thing, but everytime I show him a dog I want he says, either its ugly...*which of course its not* or, why don't you take care of your own dog! *which of course I do!, better then anything* but oh well, I don't have to worry about family-in-laws yet... and hopefully when I do we don't have any problems... of this sort.

~K

Modified to add: Okay, so my brother is really good with Sammi, and so is my mom... they just think I should only have one... but I think I've almost changed there minds, that one more isn't all that bad...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:48:16 pm by Kirsti »

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 12:43:47 pm »
I can relate my MIL has visited us once in 10 years. ::) She is what she calls not a dog lover...yet her son and daughter can bring their goldens anytime they want. Last Christmas we took Farley with us to her place b/c he was too little to be left all day..my husband said to his mom that was the only way we were coming. Farley was such a good boy-way better then the goldens behave(IMO) ;)

My dad on the other hand is great.  He has a pen out in the backyard for them.  Cooks then chicken everynight b/c he cooks for his yorkie. He says my guys can't be left out.  He doesn't care if they have an accident in the house. He says "well they can't hold it forever". He never freaked out when Rosie chewed the weather stripping off his back door or made the cat hole in the door (via access to the potty)much bigger than necessary.  He loves Farley--they always have cuddle time together. He loves his furgrandbabies ;)

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 03:08:54 am »
Most of my family are dog lovers. With a few exceptions..

My Aunt and Uncle are the by far the worst. I was asked "Where to they sleep" Um in the house.. DUH! ::) They think all 'animals' should sleep outside. And that they just dirty your house. >:(

My brother loves big dogs but the drool bothers him. His wife (I refuse to call her my SIL) Said 'Why would you want a dog like that?!' She's such a snooty miserable.... um thing. LOL