Author Topic: Newfie Summer Cut  (Read 26745 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Newfie Summer Cut
« on: June 23, 2005, 01:17:11 pm »
Tis the season for Hot, Hot weather, so we gave Drake another Summer Cut.  I know this may irk some of you Newfie owners, we've already had people look at us with disgust, but Drake is much more comfortable in the heat and he stays cleaner.  We found when we didn't do this, he would get tons of hot spots and really start to stink due to his fur getting wet all the time, plus he would get really over heated.  Look how different he looks compared to the image of him on my Avatar. We didn't shave him, actually the GROOMER didn't shave him, but cut his hair really short with shears.  We've actually gotten a lot of compliments from people about how good he looks.  He is such a Handsome Devil!  Some people have claimed this is bad for their fur, but we haven't had any problems.  Besides, he's not a show dog!  He was the pick of the litter and has show dog qualities, but we just wanted to have a pet and let him live a family dog life.  So if he doesn't have perfect fur, OH WELL!  What do you all think?  Do you do the same thing with your dog?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 01:56:08 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Luvmydanes

Re: Newfie Summer Cut
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 01:23:21 pm »
AWWW!!!! I think he looks so handsome! I wouldn't worry about what other people think or say. If he is more comfortable in the heat having his coat short, then so be it. Nothing wrong with that. What a good mommy you are to think about him and how miserable he would have been in the heat. I think he looks great! We have great danes, who already have short hair so we don't have to worry about hair cuts! :)

Kandi

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 01:35:46 pm »
Tina - Dane's hair IS turning brown. What it is, is dead hair. We have tried every kind of brush on him and they just aren't working. Shaun usually goes out every night and brushes him for a while. Lukily it is getting a little better, but it is still very brown. We just took him to the vet last weekend, and found that the flea combs work really really well. So we are going to go buy one. I also heard that the brushes you use on horses work really well to remove the dead hair too. Good luck! If you find something that works, let me know.

Kandi

Offline lil_princess724

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 01:43:48 pm »
aw he looks so cute. i want to snuggle. I have abad story my boss, i am nanny. we took her pup to get groomed and he is lab and golden retriver mix so she has been shaving him, but this time the groomer shve his tail. it looks awful and they shaved him bald in his private area i am so sorry for him. it's hair at least it will grow back. i thought my boss would have been mad but she said we have to learn the hard way sometimes. But he is so much cooler. we totally understand. give your pup a hug.:)
Cassandra
        Bailey's mom

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 01:53:05 pm »
Tina - Dane's hair IS turning brown. What it is, is dead hair. We have tried every kind of brush on him and they just aren't working. Shaun usually goes out every night and brushes him for a while. Lukily it is getting a little better, but it is still very brown. We just took him to the vet last weekend, and found that the flea combs work really really well. So we are going to go buy one. I also heard that the brushes you use on horses work really well to remove the dead hair too. Good luck! If you find something that works, let me know.

Kandi

There's a comb or brush you can get that slightly cuts their hair and thins it out.  We bought one at the Newfoundland Specialty Show and it really got rid of a lot of Drake's dead, sunbleached hair.  I think Jabear has one too.  I forget what they're called and couldn't find an image of one online, so maybe I'll take a pic of ours when I get home.  It really works for Drake and his long hair, but I don't know if it would work for your Dane and his short hair.  Worth a try though, eh?
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 02:05:32 pm »
AHHH Drake is sure a beautiful boy!! He looks so proud of his new hair cut  :D I thinks its like kids, you always do something that someone is going to look down on you for. But OH WELL he is your baby and you know him best. He looks happy to me!!
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 02:11:53 pm »
Cute pics! Drake is adorable.
RIP former BPO

Luvmydanes

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 02:30:05 pm »
Newf Lover - Please take a picture! That would be great if I could find one online or something. We really need to find something that works!

Kandi

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 03:33:52 pm »
Drake looks FAB!!! Who give a hoot what anyone else thinks???  As long as he is comfortable, that's all that matters!  Last summer we shaved Cowboy's belly (for a medical procedure) and he LOVED that!  We have stone floors and we'd find him sprawled wherever it was cool  We also have the gel "cool pads" for their beds and they love those as well.   I don't think I could completely cut Cowboys fur because he's a Landseer and I'd worry about sunburn.  Chester, the brown baby, though, is another story!  Drake looks SO cute I'd consider it!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 03:34:44 pm »
.....and I LOVE your garden!  It's gorgeous!  Where are you located?

Luvmydanes

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 04:15:13 pm »
zoom groom, I'll have to remember that. We definatlely need to get something. Thanks!

Kandi

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 04:16:05 pm »
Kandi,
That picture is the best.  I can't tell if Dane is pushing or pulling the baby.  ;D
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Luvmydanes

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 04:17:43 pm »
 ;D I always look at it and think he is "protecting" his baby. :)

Kandi

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 04:20:29 pm »
That he his.  I love to see pictures of dogs and babies (or kids).  We always had dogs so we were never afraid.  I hate to see kids that are scared of dogs.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Luvmydanes

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 04:26:15 pm »
I agree. I have a friend who wont let her son (who is almost 3 now) get anywhere NEAR our dogs. I'm always thinking "you are weird" lol :)

Kandi