Author Topic: Advice introducing a cat to dogs.....  (Read 1807 times)

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Advice introducing a cat to dogs.....
« on: October 16, 2006, 06:09:02 am »
Hello
I have a dilemma and need advice and knew BPO is a good place to turn to. My aunt past away in March and she had a 2-3 year old cat who since her death has been to two relatives homes. the first one wasn't working b/c the kids had allergies now the cat "wilson" is at my sister's house which is not a good situation b/c their German Shepard would probably kill the cat if she could. so the cats hides/lives in the basement (the basement isn't in any good condition to begin with) I feel so bad for wilson. he has been through so much. I am considering taking him b/c im almost positive my house would be a better environment for wilson. I have a Saint 100lbs and a mix 50lbs- I know they will  be crazy at first seeing Wilson and maybe would want to play/rough house him. I know they wouldn't hurt wilson and would not treat him like my sisters German Shepard does now. i am just really nervous b/c my dogs go nuts at neighbors cats when they see them outside but i feel like if my husband and i brought the cat in ourselves they would know it was ok. I was wondering if anyone has been through this situation before if you can advise me on the best way to intro "wilson" to my dogs "will and grace". The point is i don't want to put this cat in any more stress than it has already been through but I cant stand the situation it is in now- i think it is inhumane. No one else in the family can take the cat... I just don't know how to go about this??? Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Advice introducing a cat to dogs.....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 10:11:53 am »
Here's a recent post about the reverse: introducing a puppy into a cat household. But the ideas are the same! Hope this helps!

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,13251.0.html

Tracy
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 10:13:59 am by mtaig12 »
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Advice introducing a cat to dogs.....
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 03:35:31 am »
Well, thanks everyone for the advice- it was much needed and calmed my nerves a bit. and the introduction went ALOT better than I planned. What I think helped was before we picked Wilson up (cat) I bought him bed, litter box, toys, food etc... and let Will and Grace (dogs) smell it until we picked Wilson up. I think it helped them prepare for the cat b/c they knew something was up. Not one bark from either one of them when they saw Wilson. I was so happy! Their was a hiss/squat or two but if I am petting Wilson or talking to him he just follows me around house and ignores Will and Grace. Will and Grace are a little confused at the cats movements and jumps but that will take time. The cat has the basement all to  itself w/ a couch, t.v., kitty bed... the works. it works out b/c we have a chain lock so the door stays cracked and dogs cant get down there (they try to sqeeze though :D) I think they will be best friends once Wilson trusts that Will and Grace wont hurt him- like the previous dog he knew at my sister's who wanted to eat him alive. At one point Will my mix was kissing/licking Mr. Wilson on the ears- it was so cute! My Saint is pretty much scared still but she'll come around  :) Thanks again for the advice and hopefully I will post pics of Wilson, Will and Grace soon. My Aunt who passed would be so happy that Wilson is happy now and in good care. It is strange b/c the cat reminds me of her so much. It is a bitter sweet situation... Well have a good day everyone, just thought I'd give you an update  :) :)