Author Topic: The "right" age to start joint supplements?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
The "right" age to start joint supplements?
« on: October 17, 2006, 01:24:58 am »
I wondered if anyone has ever heard that there's a right age to start this treatment. More specifically, what's too young?  Bella is 12 weeks, and I started her on a glucosamine/cetyl-M combination a couple days ago.  I have noticed a change in her yesterday- "different" BM's (color and consistency), and she's itching more than usual (although it's not terribly bad). I'm concerned that it could be that she's too young, or that she has some sort of shellfish allergy? There's a chance that she's reacting to the small amount of Eagle Pack canned beef that I added to her lunch yesterday, OR the bully stick which she had for the first time on Sunday. So, since I know that there are other possibilities, I thought I would see what you guys thought. 

Thanks! ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Re: The "right" age to start joint supplements?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 01:44:16 am »
I am not sure she is too young for supplements, and I would think the sooner the better for prevention of problems later on.  I would be careful introducing new things though- maybe limit it to one new thing per week, or even every other week, so you know what she reacts to so you can stop immediately.  Right now, you have no way of knowing what the reaction is to, so you will need to try each thing separately to figure out which is the cause.

Weedsport, NY

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:35:20 am »
I am generaly pretty catious about adding new things. The change in her "gravy" at lunch time and the bully stick was a brainfart on my part! I didn't even think about it being an issue (or possibly one).  OF course, I realized this last night and have now isolated the supplement only for this week. For some reason, the supplement is what concerns me. Partly I think becuase there isn't much out there about supplementing puppies, possible allergy conflicts, and what age to start- at least none that I've seen yet anyway. 
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:05:39 pm »
i started my girls on Vitamin C in small doeses from a very young age.  Grace was already taking Vitamin C when she came home.  after 6 months old i was able to up the Vitamin C dosage to 1000MG's.  the vet told me today about the gluclosamine but also told me that since that supplement has Vitamin C in it i may need to adjust that dose. 
depending on what the dose you're using is you may need to reduce it until your pup is a little older.  call you vet for an exact dosage and at what ages.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:57:27 pm »
Sorry, I'm not much help with this.  I started mine on glucosomine after they were adults all except Shiner.  I got him at 4months and I mix the supplements into their food so he has been receiving them since he got here.  I never noticed a reaction to them for him but then again he was changed to a different food when he got here also.  I might try to pull everything new out of the diet for a week and then start adding stuff back in one thing at a time to try and get a feel for what started the reaction.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 12:31:02 pm »

I have always started every big dog on glucosamine at 4 - 5 months of age.  I don't have any clinical study to back this up, but generally wanted them to be fully adjusted to the diet changes and feeding frequencies before I introduce new things and am always careful in how I introduce supplements - one at a time.  So this was the time for this one.  I also always make sure not to add a big combo - but just a pure glucosamine to start to ensure it is well tolerated.

Be careful with supplementing vitamin C - ester C is the only form suitable for dogs to avoid irritation and consistent vitamin C will alter the ph balance in their digestive tract.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 08:09:50 pm »
my newf pups are started on it at about four to five months of age.
they get it their whole life thru senior years.
doseage by the time they hit nine months, 12-1600 mg
it could be the house is dry, this time of year makes for itchy skin, it also could be co incidantal.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 08:10:39 pm by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505