Author Topic: New need help!  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Suzanka

• Gnawer
  • This is Chumley
    • View Profile
New need help!
« on: October 17, 2006, 04:33:52 am »
Hello,
I am elated to have found this site. It is quite timely too. I have the most amazing big paw. His name is Chumley. He is a mix of German Shephard, Malamute and St. Bernarnd. He is about as tall as a Dane and weighs 145lbs. Here is my problem. Chumley is having surgery as I write this. He tore his ACL. I am distraught about this anyway but adding to my stress is the dilemna of how I am going to get him in and out of my small SUV. The surgeon is of no help at all as far as suggestions. Has anyone been in this situation? They said that they have a gurney to help him out to my vehicle but once I get home I have no clue how he is going to come out. I'm sure that he will be in a lot of pain and he is not to put any weight on his leg. Any suggestions would be most apprecitated. Thanks!!!

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: New need help!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:50:17 am »
 So sorry to hear about your baby! He sounds beautiful though (pictures? ;D)

My advice would be to put him on a large blanket, perhaps fodl a comforter in half, and use that to lift him. When you get him home, have a neighbor or friend hold you and grab each corner of the blanket and use it like a stretcher. That's how they move patients frombed to bed in the hospital, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with an animal patient. Best of luck and well wishes for Chumley!

Offline Suzanka

• Gnawer
  • This is Chumley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 05:25:53 am »
THANK-YOU so much!! I had no idea that there was such a thing. I am heading to the pet supply store this afternoon! It's good to hear that you have never had to deal with knee problems. I guess they are a common issue with big dogs. Thanks again.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:40:49 am »
Chumley sounds like a sweetie!!  Hope all goes well with his recovery!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Suzanka

• Gnawer
  • This is Chumley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 08:41:39 am »
Me again, I finally figured out how to post a photo. Here is Chumley. The surgeon just called and he is doing fine and in recovery, Yeah! Now thanks to some great suggestion I feel better about getting him home too!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 09:14:12 am »
When my newfs had ACL and hip replacement surgery, (different dogs.. :P) I slipped a beach towel under the belly and eased him out of the car while supporting his/her rear end with the beach towel.  Your surgeon may even have a towel with handles that is just for that purpose.  You'll have to get used to using it for potty-runs anyway, and it does seem to do the trick.  Good luck!!!

I love Chumley's name and he looks adorable!

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 09:35:43 am »
glad everything went ok.....he is adorable!
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 01:48:08 pm »
First of all, welcome to BPO!

Second of all, I am sorry to hear about chumley's leg but I am glad he is doing well in recovery!

You've already gotten great advice about the car - I would deffinately get a ramp for the future, and for now I would take a large comforter and use it like a stretcher
RIP former BPO