Author Topic: HELP! What would cause this?  (Read 4950 times)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
HELP! What would cause this?
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:46:58 am »
OK, so being new to the world of excessive drool, I don't quite know what to make of this and I'm worried it's a warning sign of something.  Everytime Bella drinks (and the past couple days she's been drinking a lot) she ends up spitting out a bunch of drool/slober onto the floor.  It's not discolored or anything, but she's never done this until today. My gut tells me that something's bothering her stomach. Has anyone experienced this, or maybe have some ideas about the cause?  I'm a worried Mom becuase I'm not sure what to do for her...  :-[ :-[
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Luvmydanes

Re: HELP! What would cause this?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 11:48:36 am »
I don't know much about this, but could there be something in the water that is bothering her?

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 11:49:40 am »
I don't think so. I rinse her bowl out thouroughly between drinks since it seems to get so "drooly". 
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Luvmydanes

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 11:52:46 am »
I mean something that is actually IN the water. Sometimes there can be things in water that make people sick, which is why people buy filters for their water...maybe that is what is wrong?

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 11:56:42 am »
OH, I see what you mean now. SOrry!  Well, I suppose it's possible, but she's been drinking my tap water forever... so I wouldn't think anything about it's changed.  I started her on glucosamine a couple days ago, and already checked with the vet about allergy symptoms, but they didn't think that was it. 
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 01:11:36 am »
Maybe now, if she's getting bigger, she is having trouble swallowing with her water being on the floor?  Teddy was throwing up a lot and we raised his water and food dishes and it is definitely better.  I really don't know...just another thought.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:16:08 am »
Thanks for the input. I raised her dishes this past week, so maybe it's an adjustment thing, who knows! Her behavior is normal- well as normal as a 12 week old can be- so I'm just going to keep my eye on her and hope that it goes away. She's headed to the vet on Friday for a round of vaccinations, so I'll touch base with the vet again then if it's still a problem. Hopefully by FRiday it won't be!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 01:18:55 am »
Is she just dropping the water out of her mouth or is she actually coughing it up.  If she's just dropping it then don't worry because most big paws do that. Kali always gets a mouthful to drool all over us with.  If she's more like coughing it out I'd try to elevate the water bowl and see if that works.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 04:37:01 am »
I was going to ask the same thing...is she "puking" it up?

This will sound odd, but when Apollo was a puppy, he would *spit8 water at us. He thought it was a game. Apparently, my children laughed when he did it by accident, so he thought it was a good thing to do. Great dinner party trick... NOT!

It took a while to break the habit, but we did. It could be that like most of our Big Paws, she isn't swallowing that last mouthful, and as a consequence, it sloshes out.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 06:32:44 am »
We've had two Labs, our current Eider and our first male, Brant, who would spit up (mild throw up) water quite often.  With our two it is/was usually from drinking too much too fast or from drinking when they were a bit hot or had just excercised.  Our first male did it his whole life and never had any stomach related issues that needed to be dealt with.  It was just normal for him.  Granted, it was yucky, but it was within the realm of normal.  I know we discussed it with our vet and don't remember all the details (it was 20 yrs ago) but I do remember that it was nothing major, just an annoyance.  Eider seems to be following closely in Brant's footsteps where that is concerned (not much else, just that issue ::) ). 

Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much unless something changes.  I would just keep a close eye on the situation and her to make sure she feels ok otherwise and have the vet check it out next time she's in.  From what you've described, I don't see any problem to worry about.  If it changes that might be another story.
Daphne

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 06:37:07 am »
OK, thanks. It makes me feel better that someone else has experienced this! She hasn't done it for a few days, so I'm hoping that it won't be an issue again (or that it will only be a sporadic one)...  :)

Thanks again!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat