Author Topic: putting out feelers re possibility of transport  (Read 8484 times)

Offline sobe

  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • **
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:17:04 pm »
I am thinking of adding a pup to my family and since it hasn't been born yet I have plenty of time to figure this out. One of the obstacles is that little puppers will be born in Connecticut and I am in British Columbia, not far from Vancouver.
Is there any transport possibility between there and here? We're talking a little wanna be big paws here, one of those who think they're big,lol.

I am not sure if there are planes that have heated cargo though it would be small enough to fit inside with someone.

As I said, I'm only putting out feelers at this time. Anyone have any thoughts or likes to travel?

bigdogs@5501

  • Guest
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:21:07 pm »
If the pup is small enough to ride in a carrier in a plane, then you could get a round trip flight for yourself and the pup could fly with you for free. Check with American or Continental. They can give you the details- It may be that the carrier has to be able to fit under the seat. Also they I heard on the news that airline tickets are going to be getting more affordable. I have no idea if that is true since it was the network news.

Offline chaos270

  • BPO Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 1273
    • View Profile
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:25:44 pm »
We're in CT.  Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.  If you find a way to fly cargo we'd drop the pup off at the airport for you depending on the date.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ZooCrew

  • Tail Wagging Champ
  • *****
  • Posts: 3355
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:50:56 pm »
There are usually 3 options for flying dogs.  Inside the plane with supervision, in a heated cargo area on a flight with people, or in a cargo plane, no heat.

There are rules for flying dogs in cargo though.  The temp on the ground usually has to be I think around 40-45 degrees....... ....which is why I had to wait an extra 3 wks to get Gunther, it was too cold out.

Best bet would be to have someone drive the pup out just so you would know he/she's okay, but I know that's not always an option.

Offline MSF

  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • **
  • Posts: 103
    • View Profile
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 08:45:00 pm »
Keep in mind shipping an animal from one country to another is not like it use to be pre 911 and can be a royal pain.
It's also cheaper to fly with the pup than to ship alone.

I would also highly suggest you call your State / Providance vet and see what is needed (besides a health certificate) for a dog to enter Canada from the US.
One thing you may want to consider it to have the pup flown in to Seattle and you can drive it back over the border at Blaine or Lyden. (about 2 to 3 hours south of the peace arch crossing.
Best wishes
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:40:32 am by MSF »

Offline mynameislola

  • Big Paws-a-holic
  • **
  • Posts: 314
    • View Profile
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 12:38:13 am »
Congratulation s on the new addition!

I am also getting a pup from a non-local breeder.  There are size/age regulations as well as temperature regulations to fly them.  Check with individual carriers; they are all different.  My pup is coming from Oklahoma to Nevada, and the charge for the flight for her in cargo is 50 bucks.  It is also 50 bucks to be under the seat. 

We havn't decided yet if she will be flown out in cargo, if I will fly there and transport her back under the seat, or if it is going to turn into a road trip.  Mostly it depends on her not being too big to fit under the airplane seat at 8 weeks.  The weather in Las Vegas is also a factor.

If you fly there, you can see the breeder's operation and all the dogs.




« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:39:34 am by mynameislola »
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Suzanka

  • Gnawer
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • This is Chumley
    • View Profile
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:51:06 am »
How exciting!!! You may want to consider a flying from Montreal or Toronto to BC. It is typically less expensive depending on how strong the dollar is. That way you could drive into the US with you new pup. It would be easier as far as paperwork and vaccines as well. Just a thought. BC is beautiful this time a year.

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

  • Big Paws-a-holic
  • **
  • Posts: 366
    • View Profile
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 04:29:53 am »
Well, I live in Washington State, about 30 minutes outside of Seattle. If you decide to fly him/her into Seattle, I could possibly drive the pup from there to Blaine. (Just need to know dates to confirm) If you decide to transport via car, let me know if there's a leg in Washington that needs to be filled.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline newflvr

  • Tail Wagging Champ
  • *****
  • Posts: 3390
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 04:36:25 am »
We brought Chester from San Antonio, Texas to Los Angeles in a carry-on case.  I think the charge was $40 (a little over a year ago) on American.  We did have a problem though, in that although, at 12 weeks, he met the weight limit(not over 20 pounds) he did not meet the height....he didn't fit under the seat in front of us.  Luckily, he was a very quiet puppy so the carrier fit under the seat and he fit in our laps!!

Luvmydanes

  • Guest
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 04:37:10 am »
Well, I live in Washington State, about 30 minutes outside of Seattle. If you decide to fly him/her into Seattle, I could possibly drive the pup from there to Blaine. (Just need to know dates to confirm) If you decide to transport via car, let me know if there's a leg in Washington that needs to be filled.

How cool to see another washingtonian on this site :) I am in washington state too! :D
As far as flying the pup, everyone has offered really good advice. We had both Jasmine and Goliath shipped from across the country and depending on how big the dog is, it can get pretty spendy. We paid $240 to have Goliath shipped out here. That was with the kennel and everything, and he was too big so had to fly cargo. Like everyone is saying, the temperature makes a difference in whether or not they'll be able to fly them that day. We had Jasmine delayed because it was too hot where she was coming from, so they had to wait for the weather to cool down. Hope this helps a little. And good luck!

Offline sobe

  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • **
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: putting out feelers re possibility of transport
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 06:36:49 am »
wow thanks all for the great advice and options, I've been sharing them with hubby and it certainly will help with our decision whether we're getting this pup or not.
It's a Silkie Terrier ( as I said, a pup who thinks it's huge,lol), from a friend of mine, not a breeder. This is an oops litter, momma will be spayed after so that this doesn't happen again, but in the meantime it's very tempting for us to add one of her pups to our family. Mom is a cutie and so is dad.
We've always had big dogs, aren't used to little guys and aren't sure how our babies will take to a miniature dog. As I said, we'll be thinking long and hard as we still have enough time before we have to decide.