Author Topic: Hi! I'm new  (Read 4302 times)

Offline carriepoon

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hi! I'm new
« on: June 24, 2005, 02:12:54 am »
I don't actually have a mal  :'( or any dog at the moment, and it drives me crazy every time I think about it.  But I've been reading and talking about them for a year now, and I'm determined to be ready for the day when I can finally have a mal in my life.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Hi! I'm new
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 10:18:15 pm »
That's so cool!...I researched breeds for over 2 yr.s before I chose my 1st dog...A Pyr complimented us & when we got him we knew our prayers had been answered!right one...getting to know him was a blessing!

Offline carriepoon

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:26:50 pm »
I can't wait, but I know it's going to be worth the wait.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 12:15:46 am »
Welcome, be sure to post your adventure in looking.  Peggy
Peggy

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 06:23:25 am »
Be ready to stubborness! They listen when they want to and do what they want when they want. Other than that they are wonderful. Our little baby is 5 months old and we had her out at a car show yesterday and she was wonderful even around the loud cars.

Offline carriepoon

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 01:30:14 am »
I was watching Animal Planet today, and I was so happy--they had mals on That's My Baby...the puppies were so precious at 6 and 9 weeks--but huge!  They had those adorable too-big paws that they have to grow into.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 05:45:16 pm »
carriepoon, nice to meet you and, being on this board youll have every chance to ask away, and prepare yourself for puppy hood parent. I know it is hard to wait, but when you wait for something good.......

You must fill us in, in you search and your road to puppy being home.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline karenlem

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 11:47:54 am »
Glad to hear you are thinking of a Mal. When I was first looking, everyone tried to talk me out of a Mal seeing that I had a Golden Retriever, which are about the opposites.
But that made me even more determine to get one. (Probably not a good reason to get one.) Anyway, I read as much as I could get my hands on Mals. And he turned out to be better than most things I read.
The process of getting him was a bit much, though.
I had gone to see a puppy at this well known breeder who was highly recommended. When I got there, the place was sooo filthy. I couldn't even concentrate on looking a the puppies because they were just sitting in their own poop. Plus when I met the parents, the female was skiddish and snappy and the male was aggressive. Well, I left there without a puppy and them keeping my deposit.
I then contacted another breeder who told me he had sold all of his but told me that a older pair he sold to someone had pups. I went to see her and it was such a loving home. The parents were very friendly. The pups were always around her kids. It was a great situation. Fortunately, she only bred her pair once and that all her puppies went to loving homes. So I am sure that mine is a unique situation.
Side note - Mals tend to be subborn and have selective listening and even though mine was better than normal. He did have some issues. I use to exercise him like crazy and give him tons of love but no discipline. (Discipline can be as little as telling him to sit and having him to do it.) I've been to alot of trainers with him and everyone has different ways of training but seeing Cesar Millan (the Dog Whisperer) and going to his seminar and then implementing his techniques worked like a charm. Plus I've customize all the training to what works best for him. I feel like each dog is different with different personalities, so what I've learn is that there is not just one way that is correct but what works best for your dog. Plus I still give him more love than I'm suppose to and he still sometimes walks all over me.
Sorry for all this information but I hope it gives you some insight.
Here's a pic of my guy, Dewey.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 05:12:07 pm »
Dewey is so handsome! I agree with stubborness, Tonka does what she wants when she wants and how she wants to do it. She is spoiled. But we love her. They are truely great to have. Nothing like snuggling up with you mal when you get home from work. Guess that could go for any dog, but i truely love my baby.