Author Topic: Does your Saint have rear dew claws?  (Read 6892 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Does your Saint have rear dew claws?
« on: October 20, 2006, 06:07:35 am »
Teddy doesn't.  Is this normal?  I really don't think they were removed, he just doesn't have them.  Does it mean he isn't purebred? (not that it matters).

Any ideas?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

mjjensen

Re: Does your Saint have rear dew claws?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:17:44 am »
 I believe that Saints are one of those dogs that the AKC doesn't consider the lack of dewclaws as a fault. I know they require Pyrs to have them and possibly a few others. Usually dewclaws are removed during one of the puppies first vet visits so I wouldn't worry that he doesn't have them. 

Offline starla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:26:52 pm »
Starla has them... but i wish she didn't... i find her kind of chewing on them sometimes... and i worry shes going to just eat them off...

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:34:06 pm »
Zoe has them too. And she also chews and pulls on them. We're thinking about having them removed when she is spayed.
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 05:04:50 pm »
Dolly doesn't have them on the front or the back. From what I can see, she never had them on her back legs, but she did on her front and they were removed by the breeder when she was little.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 03:32:34 am »
Bubba has rear-dewclaws. One on his back left and a double-dewclaw on his back right.

He's already ripped the nail off of the double dewclaw. It's floppy and he it caught in the carpet. Scared the crap out of me he was covered in blood and at first I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

The vein is quite long so I can't cut them short. So I'm definitely thinking of having them removed when he goes in for his neuter.

Lola was born with no rear dew-claws at all. Thank god. LOL

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 06:00:52 pm »
Adi has one rear dewclaw which is really just like a tiny toenail. It appeared one day when I was rubbing his belly and then his foot and I said what was that... and it popped out. Sounds weird, I know. I'm notorious for being a 'picker' so it bugs the h*ll out of me. I want it removed but unless he deems it just as annoying, I won't ask them to do it when he gets neutured.
lmt.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 01:00:56 am »
Sounds like saints can have 0, 1,or 2 on either hind.  Strange....I would think it would be uniform throughout the breed but apparently not!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 03:51:02 pm »
Mack had his removed when he was a wee one...hes got scars and i can feel lumps under the scars where they used to be...can they grow back?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 06:10:18 am »
Just thought for the sake of information I would add Bella to this feed. She has scars on her hind legs, and it appears she had one on each leg. It is strange how variable it seems to be among the breed though, doesn't it?
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 05:05:01 am »
Both of mine had them but the breeders removed them. I'm glad...it sounds like they're a nuisance to the dogs that do have them. Simon messes with his feet enough without them.
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin