Author Topic: Riddle me this: Riley and cat have same rash??  (Read 2334 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Riddle me this: Riley and cat have same rash??
« on: October 20, 2006, 06:22:47 am »
Riley had a rash around his eye a couple of months ago. I took him to the vet; she did a scraping for mites-not it. She thought it was related to allergies-likely something in his environment, but maybe something about the food. Just in case, I changed from Natural Balance (blue bag) to Natural Balance fish and potato. Before the food change, his eye cleared up, but the rash appeared in his arm pit on one front arm and on the front of the other front arm (up at the top). It's on his butt above where his tail starts, too. It's a bunch of big bumps-mosquito bite sized-that itch, so he scratches/knaws at them and they scab over.

My roommate suggested baby carrots (a holistic vet told his friend to give them to her dog for a rash). This didn't seem to do all that much; I'll admit, the rash slowed down, but I don't know that it's that. The weather is also changing (finally getting a bit cooler instead of 90 and humid everyday).

Well, today, I noticed that one of my cats has a patch of the same rash on one of his legs. My cats are indoor-only animals; the dogs are outside for walks and a few times a day in the yard for 10-20 minutes.

I'll try to get pictures of it, but does anybody have any ideas as to what would affect a dog and, two months later, start to affect a cat?? I swear it looks like the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:23:44 am by macybean »

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Riddle me this: Riley and cat have same rash??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 09:11:56 am »
I tried to get pics. It's hard to see with fur and all. Plus, most of the bumps have scabbed over since they pick at them. Thomas' (the cat) are mostly just red spots from scabs, but it feels like he may have a couple of new bumps coming up.

I have to mention that the only thing these two animals have in common is that they are the laziest of my bunch!

The lazy man's rash:

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 05:45:55 am »
Hmmm.....Barkl ey, the westie i used to show, had bumbs just like this sometimes (alot of what looked like black-heads) all over his tail and between his toes, and his wee-wee.

i showed them to his owner, but she said they didn't seem to be bothering him (only they where, she just never noticed--i did!) so she never did anything. she would've been so ticked if ida taken him to the vet, and i stopped showing him to focus on another dog, so i don't know what they where. 

Sorry i don't have more info!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 05:49:07 am »
I took Riley to the vet again about his rash. They said that when he scratches because of his allergies, he's infecting his skin, which is producing the little pustules-and then he scratches and infects those. So he's on antibiotics right now, along with special shampoo and benedryl. It's almost completely cleared up, though, aside from his pink areas of allergies. The benedryl should keep him from scratching those too much, so hopefully he won't get infected again.

Thomas' bumps just went away (the cat).

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 09:56:56 am »
That looks a lot like what Adicus gets. I assume it's allergy related, although the vet isn't so sure. Anyway, his usually gets much worse because he starts to chew on his hands... But the rash had also appeared in the armpit and back legs too.

Good luck and glad to hear Riley (and Thomas) is getting better.
lmt.