Author Topic: Bear's long day of work  (Read 7803 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Bear's long day of work
« on: October 22, 2006, 05:03:45 am »
12:00 p.m.- Yesterday Bear & I worked at the Shriner's Hospital for Children for the first time. I thought seeing the sad, hurting kids would be really hard but surprisingly it wasn't. Even in pain, just seeing Bear made them so happy. I have never heard so many kids laugh as loud as I did yesterday either. Every time they gave Bear a treat and he took it, slobbering their little hands no less, they would laugh and laugh. He did a great job taking their minds off of their illnesses and made them happy if only for a bit.

On the downside, I was exhausted! The organization we're with is great but boy, does it take a lot of stamina to do. Not only do I have the largest, longest, heaviest dog in the program but ha makes every aspect of the job that much harder. Here's why:
1. Enter the room and greet the child.
2. Wipe drool.
3. Position Bear so that the child can touch him. If they can't move much then it mean making Bear get on a chair, sofa, bed, etc so they can reach.
4. Wipe drool again.
5. Let child feed Bear a treat.
6. Wipe drool and hand child a wet nap to clean their soggy palms.
7. Try to get Bear to stay in whatever uncomfortable position he is in long enough to snap a Poloroid pic. Make sure all family members are in it that want to be included. Wipe drool again. Reposition Bear.
8. Get Bear's attention. Make sure he is staying. *click*
9. Get Bear. Wipe drool. Give him a treat for doing a great job. Make him stay. Get label out of bag to put on picture. (It says "My visit with Bear" so they remember who he is.)
10. Hand picture to child. Do a trick with Bear quickly. Say bye.
11. Repeat with new child.

Whew! Reliving that was tiring.  ;D It was really fun though and I am so happy that they encourage child/dog interaction via brushing, treats, etc. The pictures mean so much to them too.

3:30 p.m.-Then, we went home and got Michael. He had to finish up some work and so did I so we went to office in Malibu. Once there Bear slept and snored like a mack truck.  ;D I've enclosed some pics of he & Michael from the balcony off of Michael's office so you can see the gorgeous view he has everyday.

7:00 p.m.-Afterwards, we met my dad for dinner. Bear has Chinese food then slept the entire car ride home.

10:15- got home and all went to bed. My little boy is still sleeping.  :)

Enclosed are a few pics. One of Bear & I in our uniform for work. And yes, I had to make him wear his new bib for the kids.  ;D  They loved it. The others are of he & Michael from the balcony off of Michael's office so you can see the gorgeous view he has everyday.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 05:06:19 am by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Bear's long day of work
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 05:58:52 am »
WOW!  What a day you had!!  I'm exhausted just reading about it!  It's not nearly so difficult working with our older friends!  Ask Bear what is more tiring:  hours with the kids or minutes with Chester  ::)!

Michael's view is incredible!

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 08:27:07 am »
Great to hear you and Bear are workin so hard. As for the other half, Micheal I don't think thats an office. Here on the other coast the best you can do is a window with a view. You guys get balconies also, somethins fishy. Jamie thanks again for sharing. Tim

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:34:27 am »
Wow Bear you are keeping mommy busy.It sounds like you are doing wonderful work as a thearpy dog.I love Bears bib :D

Does Michael get any work done with a view like that...wow :o

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 10:52:48 am »
Awww, it's neat to hear about Bear's job!  What a great thing you are both doing!  Wow, that is a great view! :)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:01:16 am »
What a great dog bear is! It's so nice of you to do the program with shriners. I used to volunteer there occasionally with a program called project magic and i am terrible at magic but they were just so happy to have someone visit them :)
RIP former BPO

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 11:25:16 am »
ooh bear's "working hard for the money... so hard for it honey"... hehe!  i think that's how the lyrics go!  at least that's who i sing thEM!! :)

the pictures are soo cute too! i absolutely love seeing pictures of him, they just brighten my day!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 02:08:49 pm »
It's so great that you and Bear can bond by volunteering at the hospital.

What a great view from Michael's office! Nothing like that around here (Texas).
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 04:50:08 pm »
Bear and Jaime-

I am sending you both hugs for what you are doing!!! What a wonderful blessing you both are to so many.

Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 01:31:58 am »
Oh Bear!!! You are just such a giving boy!  I bet those kids loved meeting you!!  even the drool! 

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 02:52:03 am »
Bear you do such good work :) The kids must have had a blast with you

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 03:15:14 am »
Thanks everyone. Bear does have a good time with the kids and even those who are initially scared end up loving him...droll and all. ;D

And Mari,
I think it is a close tie between Chester and the hospital. I guess the deciding vote is me which gives the hospital the edge cuz I got worn out too.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Luvmydanes

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 03:45:15 am »
That is great that bear had such a busy day! :) Great pics!

Kirsti

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 03:51:24 am »
Love the pictures! I bet everyone LOVES Bear at work! Thats such a great thing you guys do, going to see the kids.

~K

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 07:22:39 am »
Very cool, I wish we had time to get Drake into a program like that.  Even though it's exhausting, I'm sure it's very rewarding for you as well.  We really enjoy taking Drake to visit the elderly on Saturdays when we have extra time.  Sharing a Newf is such a joy, especially when it brightens someones day.

As for Michaels view, NICE!  Although I feel Nor Cal is 10x better than So Cal, you can't beat an office with an Ocean view.  I get to see Mt. Tamalpais from my office, which is nice, but not quite the same.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.