Author Topic: Greta can't get up today  (Read 15566 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Greta can't get up today
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:02:25 am »
On Friday, Greta's tail was still wagging. She was so happy to see me when I got home from work, but she hardly ate any of her dinner. Yesterday I cooked a salmon steak and coaxed her with hand-feeding until she finally ate it all, but she still didn't eat enough. Nor did she eat her dinner last night--just a few bites, so I put it in the fridge for this morning. I tried to feed her salmon this morning, but she wouldn't eat one bite...she just spit it out. This morning she can no longer stand up. I called the vet's office yesterday, but just in time for closing and the earliest he can come to the house is Monday evening. I could take her to pet emergency, but I don't want a stranger in a strange place putting her to sleep for the last time.

I have her on a sleeping bag and slid her into the living room. I'm going to pick up some doggie diapers and baby food to see if she'll eat it.

I have no doubt now that this is our last day, or these are our last couple of days. She has told me clearly that it's time. I just wish it hadn't happened on the weekend. And it happened suddenly. She began wimpering during the night, refusing food, and unable to stand--suddenly.

I'm trying to hang in there, because I know she needs me.

Thank you all for your support. I can't put into words the difference it makes to be able to come here and post these intimate details, to share them and know that someone else can relate to what we're going through and support us.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Greta can't get up today
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:15:34 am »
I am so sorry to read this. It is heartbreaking. :'( :'(

You and Greta are in my thoughts.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 06:15:35 am »
Yes Greta absolutely needs you!  She needs you to love her and appreciate her in these last days.  She loves you and of course you know that.

I am so sorry that you and your family have to go thru this but that is the price we pay for loving our animals soooo much.

I hope you and Greta have a peaceful day hanging out together.

You will be in our thoughts for the coming days.

To quote my 14 year old son who just read your posts
"that stinks"

Again, so sorry.

Randy & Harley (and my son)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 06:25:44 am »
Oh, I'm very sorry to read this. You will both be in my thoughts today. Give her a big hug from me and my girls. I hope you both have a wonderful day together and give her lots of kisses.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 06:27:28 am »
When witness to Greta's pain, I remember the day we took the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. The tester at the "accepting a friendly stranger" station nearly failed her. What happened was the tester knelt down at Greta's eye level, staring her in the face, stroking her shoulder. Greta growled and turned her head to the side, avoiding eye contact. The tester stood and said, "Now, I'm not going to fail her, but you need to keep an eye on that."

The years passed and Greta met numerous people. When children leaned on her arthritic body, she merely yelled, "Aye, Yai, Yai!" at them in a high-pitched voice, telling them to "get off". Over the years I've looked into her eyes and she's growled at me, nudging my hand with her nose, signaling me to stroke her. When I lean into her warm neck she rumbles, a growling purr that I've always imagined to be the breathing sound of a dragon, and as I pet her she purrs more, then I mimick her, then she copies, and we go on like this...purring alternately until her growl fades to a soft hum.

Now that she is in so much pain, being a dog that growled at the friendly stranger during her CGC test, you'd think she would snap at me as I slide her onto the sleeping bag. But she doesn't. She growls and I talk to her and the rumble fades and I pet her and tell her it's not long now. Soon the pain will cease.

She's my girl. As much as the pain stabs her body, she doesn't lash out. She has the self-control of a Buddhist master. She is stronger than most humans will ever be. This is testament to the incredible character of the dog. There is no other being on earth like this.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:29:23 am by moonlitcroatia »
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 06:51:02 am »
What an incredible person you are....able to witness, be involved and so absolutely 'there' for Greta.  It is the hardest yet most rewarding thing to be open to the pain at the end of a loved one's life.  I'm sorry Greta is in pain but the quiet moments you share with her will be with you always. 

May this be a tranquil time.  Cyber hugs and drools to you both. :'(

Offline Suzanka

• Gnawer
  • This is Chumley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 06:57:37 am »
I am SO sorry. I first read the post on Lady to see how she is doing today. Lady had ACL surgery the day after Chumley so we have been commiserating together, Lin and I. I read your  words and felt better about what I was going through caring for Chumley. Then I went to read what else was on the board today and came across this. Though you are going through great pain you still gave of yourself with your caring words. You and Greta are in my prayers. I know that Greta feels gratitude for the life she has led and for the love she has found through you.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 07:56:53 am »
I'm so sorry to read this.  You and Greta are our thoughts and prayers today. :'(

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 08:25:17 am »
I am thinking of you and Greta at this difficult time. I have been in your position more times than I liked. Greta knows that you love her and have given her your heart. Your memories will be everlasting and she will forever be apart of your heart.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 09:03:28 am »
My prayers are with you - and Greta. I am hoping that your day will bring you lots of memories and that she will soon be out of pain, its hard to let go when we love them so much.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 09:07:15 am »
I know that you will treasure every moment of being present to Greta as she takes this last part of her journey.  How blessed she is to have her best friend and companion present to her during it - she knows that she is loved, safe, cared for and treasured. 

Having been exactly where you are, I know how important this board can be during this time.  I have just lit a candle for you and Greta - a tribute to the light and love that you have shared together.  My thoughts are with you today.  You are doing such a kind and courageous thing.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 10:52:01 am »
I am so sorry to hear Greta's time has come  :'( I am crying now imagining the day that zoey and I come to where you are at right now. You are a strong woman who clearly loves and understands greta, and I am sure she is thankful to have a mama so devoted to her in her time of pain
RIP former BPO

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 02:19:46 pm »
I'm so sorry that you and Greta have reached this point.  I have been there and know it's never easy.  Ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 05:33:51 pm »
Moon, I hate that this time has come for you.  When it does it's utterly unbelievable at its quickness.  Lay with your Greta, growl a calming, peaceful growl, and let her know that you will be ok.  It may take awhile, but you will be ok.  And as painful as it is, how special that you can be there with her, for her, when she goes home.  You are both in my prayers.   H
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 07:55:57 pm »
I'm crazy about my girl. :'(