Author Topic: You don't LOOK like a... (kind of a rant)  (Read 7194 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
You don't LOOK like a... (kind of a rant)
« on: October 23, 2006, 04:56:46 am »
...farmer, an animal person, a crazy animal person, etc,etc,etc!  Does anyone else get this from other people? 
Let me explain- my neighbor is always saying she can't believe I'm a "farmer" (b/c of the goats). I was planning to volunteer at The Humane Society and was talking to a woman last year and she was really rude.  She said "well, I don't know how you plan to walk dogs with those shoes on and I'd be worried about cat litter getting on those clothes."  My husband's friends are always like "you'd never know your wife is animal crazy by looking at her."
I don't know what people think 'animal people" are supposed to look like, but I refuse to change the way I am just b/c I have lots of animals!  I wear heels always- my work boot for the yard are platforms, I wear makeup always, my hair is always done, even when I'm cleaning up poop. I don't wear overalls or a hat or drive a tractor!  And I am tired of people saying things like this to me, like I don't really love my animals b/c I spend time on myself?  Or am I not capable of caring for shelter animals b/c I wear heels?  Am I just being paranoid or do other people get comments like that?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Kirsti

Re: You don't LOOK like a... (kind of a rant)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:13:34 am »
The animals don't care if you take time for yourself, they don't care what you look like, they don't care that you where heels, they don't care if you wear makeup... they just care that you love them and take care of them.... So, stop worring about other people... or that you don't fit their discription of a *Crazy Animal Lady*...You can look good and still be a *Crazy Animal Lady*...

~K

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:21:49 am »
It's good to be crazy about your animals...and it's great that you still want to look good to people.  It's always dumb to try to stereotype people....we just don't always fit the stereotypes and that's a good thing.  It's what makes us, 'interesting'!!! ::)

Offline DoberBaby17

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:20:30 am »
People acting that way make me wanna put on my old prom dress and play football in it! Just to rub it in their faces that you can (and WILL) dress and act however you want. You don't need anyone else's approval. Work it like a supermodel! ;)
Stacy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:12:37 am »
People who do not understand that us women can have varied and complex personalities are just small minded.  Just because a woman wears a dress, it doesn't mean she's prissy.  And just because a woman may choose to work a dirty or non-glamourous job, it doesn't mean she isn't a lady. 

Five days a week I wear dress pants or a skirt to work.  About 95% of my wardrobe is either pink, has pink accents, or coordinates with something pink.  If I had to pick one item to take with me to a desert island, it would be gray eyeliner. 

On the other hand ... I have a B.S. in Forensics and am persuing a masters dealing with skeletal remains.  As anyone in chat can tell you, I have an affinity for maggots.  They are like little janitors, nurses, and detectives rolled into one!  I don't mind dirty, or stinky, or gross ... although I did once challenge the no make-up in the cadaver lab rule, because I wanted to wear clear lip gloss.  We were allowed to ;)

I think we're the really lucky and unique one.  Our interests span a wide variety of subjects.  We can talk to anyone about anything, and be completely comfortable.  Those who don't understand us, especially other women who feel they need to fit into one category or the other, are really missing out!!!

First of all, I am so jealous- I always wanted to do something with forensics but ended up going in another direction.
Anyway, thanks all you "normal" (to me) people!  I'm glad to know that not everyone is small minded and thinks that a blond woman in heels is nothing but a bimbo and has no interest in anything but herself!
I am especially glad to hear from all of you as I just had another "you have animals?!" experience at the feed store!  I went to get hay for the goats which I have to pick up in my car as I don't have a truck.  Now, granted, it's odd to see bales of hay in the back seat of a luxury car, but yuo should have seen the looks I got from the people there.  Whatever-their small mindedness is not my problem.  Thanks again everyone.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 08:15:59 am »
I'm still stuck on the "always have make up on and always has their hair done"....I simply don't understand that...

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:38:13 am »
I have to laugh. My main wardrobe consists of jeans and Tee shirts, generally with some snide comment printed on them, or from your local biker shop. Or leather...I have a real thing for leather. When I do get into "girl mode" I usually get the opposite, "Geez, you clean up good!" LOL
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 12:36:17 pm »
I'm still stuck on the "always have make up on and always has their hair done"....I simply don't understand that...

which, I believe...woul d be the point of this thread...

We're all individuals. There is no cookie-cutter version of a "crazy animal person" or any other thing. That's just who she is. Don't get stuck.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 01:03:32 pm »
I'm with Stella,

Geez you clean up nice

But the world is big enough for all of us and that is the great thimg about it.

Tricia and the fur kids

cricket36580

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »
No, not really about the animal person thing...It's anyone like that.  I know other people like that too and I don't get it.  It's like they never feel lazy....I have to "feel like" actually putting a face ON.   :D I used to be much more girly than I am now.  I guess getting old and fat just took it out of me...That and having kids.  I spend most of my time chasing them around...Or the dogs. 

I think the person at the shelter was rude.  I mean...How does a person look like anything in particular? 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 03:24:26 pm »
People are dumb! If everyone was to be judged according to how they looked then they'd think I was a total vagrant. In the mornings I go outside in mismatch pjs with my hair a mess and no make up on at all. And, I always have clothes on with drool somewhere. Oh well.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 03:48:13 pm »
I guess people really haven't heard of the saying "you can judge a book by its cover" I also always wear heals, even to the dog park. I'm short, I can't help it. Heals are my comfort zone.  ;D You like to look your best and that is awesome.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 02:00:03 am »
People are dumb! If everyone was to be judged according to how they looked then they'd think I was a total vagrant. In the mornings I go outside in mismatch pjs with my hair a mess and no make up on at all. And, I always have clothes on with drool somewhere. Oh well.  ;D

LOL I do the same thing... mismatched pj's and messy hair. :D The dogs potty area faces the road.. every once in awhile a car will slow down. My first thoughts are hmmm are they looking at the dogs or am I stopping traffic because I look like the walking dead.  :D

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 05:40:36 am »
No, not really about the animal person thing...It's anyone like that.  I know other people like that too and I don't get it.  It's like they never feel lazy....I have to "feel like" actually putting a face ON.   :D I used to be much more girly than I am now.  I guess getting old and fat just took it out of me...That and having kids.  I spend most of my time chasing them around...Or the dogs. 

I think the person at the shelter was rude.  I mean...How does a person look like anything in particular? 

Not feel lazy-hahaha!  I always feel lazy:)  I just like to look my best.  I admire you ladies who can roll out of bed and go-most of my friends are like that, but it's just not me!
Anyway, it's been interesting to get people's reactions on judging by looks,with or w/out animals.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat

cricket36580

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 07:43:58 am »
I do have to admit that when people find out that I have chickens and goats, etc they are always amazed.  They usually know me in a professional way so I'm usually all business during those times.  I think it makes me more "human" when they find that out.  I admit that I'm a "hardcore" business person at work which intimidates a lot of folks.  (wasn't that a nice way of saying I'm a b****?) 

There are still people in this world that would swear I still cleaned my bathrooms with a toothbrush though...That's something that went by the wayside when I had kids.  I still clean the toilet every day though...  I just can't make myself put on a face every morning.  I figure I'm up, I have on clothes that (usually) match, and I don't have feathers or poop on me then I'm good.   ;D

I don't know though.  I've been giving this some thought.  I think "animal" people tend to be stereotyped as poorly put together, alittle nutso, and just plain weird.  So when you fall outside of the expectations people are rather startled.