Author Topic: Leo Just Got Attacked By the Neighbors Dog!!!!  (Read 3958 times)

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Leo Just Got Attacked By the Neighbors Dog!!!!
« on: June 24, 2005, 05:13:19 pm »
Okay, I am shaking and crying right now because I was walking Leo to the mailbox (on leash of course) when the neighbors mutt (I'm not sure what) walked over to us and, after sniffing my happy, tail wagging boy, attacked him in the neck area!  Poor Leo tried to get away and jumped behind me and the stupid dog kept coming after him growling with drool hanging from his mouth!  Leo wouldn't let me touch the spot for a while but I just managed to separate the fur and it's beat red and raw, but the skin isn't broken.  Marty, of course, is out of town but he thinks I should go tell the owner what happened.  I'm so non confrontationa l and they are really nice, but they have that dog off leash all the time and now I feel like I can't walk my dog while he's out!  I definitely want to calm down a bit before I say something to them so I don't ruin any neighbor relationships.  Am I being to picky and what should I say when I do talk to them?  Help!  I'm a basket case right now!

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Leo Just Got Attacked By the Neighbors Dog!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 05:41:57 pm »
Nat,
By all means talk to your neighbor after you calm down a bit and gather your thoughts. I mean, if they are as nice as you say, and you explain the situation, I'm sure they will be apologetic and try to resolve the issue. If they need to see proof, have them examine Leo. If you feel their dog should only be outside on leash or fenced, ask for it. If they think that is crazy, explain to them that the next victim could be a young child unable to defend themselves. Maybe that will make them understand that you are not just protecting your dog, but their own liability.

Hope Leo is feeling better and you have had a chance to calm down. Everything will be OK. Just talk to them.

Jason

ann

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 08:12:41 pm »
sleep on it for sure..talk to them realy nice  they might have no idea thier dog would do something like that and maybe they will  start to be more careful about letting the dog loose.....i'm sorry that happend i know how upsetting it is....

ann

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 08:25:38 pm »
Thanks guys!  I've calmed down a bit (the shakes are gone) and I'm going to go over there tomorrow and let them know what happened.  They are a retired couple and the little old man was in his garage tinkering around and didn't notice what his dog was doing.  Maybe the dog is getting older too and now needs to be watched closer.  I feel just like one of my skin kids was attacked!  And he meant business too, but Leo has that rolly skin on his neck and the stupid thing couldn't get a good bite.  Leo seems totally fine and is loving the extra attention he's getting from me!  I appreciate all your advice and I will do exactly what you recommended.  Oh ya and I'll give him lots of hugs too! 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 10:09:29 pm »
I would for sure go tell the neighbors about their dog....They may very well want to know...Would you want your child to attack the neighbor boy or girl & not be told about it?

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 05:13:57 am »
I am very glad you are feeling better Nats and Leo too of course.  This may not be an issue with Leo but it was with my very sensitive Dobie, when he got attacked by another dog on-leash when he was younger it ended up leaving him with on-leash aggression.  I don't mean to alarm you I just want to make you aware that that kind of thing happens sometimes.  I hope it all turns out fine, I am sure it will, my Dobie is a big weaner head....lol

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 08:01:01 am »
Sorry to hear about Leo.Im glad hes going to be alright.I kind of think of him as an older Spotakiss.I too think you need to let the owners know.Plus let them know since he wasnt on a leash if it happens again your going sue.Gotta protect our kids!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 02:35:18 pm »
Poor Leo! That is awful. I am glad to hear that he is ok and that the extra hugs and kisses helped him heal faster.  :D Ditto on what everyone else said about your neighbor. Let us know what the outcome of the discussion is.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.