Author Topic: Saints on Gentle Leaders?  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Saints on Gentle Leaders?
« on: October 24, 2006, 06:24:52 am »
Hi everyone!!

Do any of you guys have your saints on gentle leaders? i bought mack one yesterday because he is starting to be a very bad boy on walks, pulling, not listening that kind of stuff. Hes also a garbage hoover, which is so gross not just cause its in his mouth, but because i have to stop of pull it out(ewww!!) 

Are gentle leaders good things? what else can you guys recommend?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Saints on Gentle Leaders?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 07:08:00 am »
Adi was starting to become hard to handle, but then we began doggie classes. I learned how to properly use the leash and to do sneak-aways when he isn't paying attention to me, and generally the leash is pretty relaxed now. He does get distracted by squirrels and other dogs, but he doesn't charge them anyway.

Adicus is a huge hoover too. And our street is pretty disgusting (unfortunately, the kids that live on it haven't learned to not trash the place you call home). So basically I am commanding him to DROP IT or NO every two seconds until we get off our block... I detest putting my hand in there because of how slobbery it is and never quite knowing what will come out... luckily, it usually a leaf.

Good luck! The gentle leader worked wonders on the husky I rescued.
lmt.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:27:12 am »
I've thought abou the gentle leaders but don't have one. I think I'd like to try it - let me knoe if you get it and how you like it!

We have a harness/rope type thing that attaches to his collar, then the ropes run under his front legs and back to the collar and through a slip ring.  When he pulls, it tightens and sort of pulls his front legs out from under him (only if he pulls really hard). 

I do/don't like it.

I like it cause it works if he's really pulling - he can't drag me along.

I don't like it because he can still pull (walk way out in front) without any discomfort and I would prefer that he walk in the heel position.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:49:27 am »
Well I got him the leader....so far it is working pretty well!! if he tries to hoover something up...a little tug and he knows its wrong!! and he cannot pull me one bit!! also if someone walks by us i can give him a tug and he will walk right close to me. The only complaint i have about it is that since mack has so much skin around his mouth and neck im kind of worried it is pinching him, but im sure he would let me know if it were lol

we are using it on short walks right now just to get used to it...he paws at it sometimes, but hes trying lol
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 10:37:41 am »
I"m working with Bella on her Gentle Leader. I previously used one on my other dog and had great success with it.  The obedience/behaviorist trainer that I have puppy class with requires them for her class.  I would highly recommend trying one. I agree it can be tricky get it sized right; sometimes your vet or a trainer will help you to size it correctly if you call.  That is what I did just to make sure, becuase you're absolutely right! All that extra skin and fur under the mouth is difficult to work with! It's hard to tell whether it's tight enough.

Best of luck!
Angie
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:08:47 am »
If the GL works, great!  I've had great success with them on some of our puppers and a terrible time with them on others.  We got Eider a pinch collar which he hates but it works like a charm.  He's a TERRIBLE puller and hoover.  The GL on Eider was an absolute disaster.  He'd roll, scratch and rub his nose the whoooooole walk.
Daphne

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:45:41 am »
I definitely need a GL or something for Bubba. He absolutely refuses to heel. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, so I took him to a trainer. No charge if she could not teach him to heel. Well guess what.. she couldn't get him to heel either even with a PRONG on! LMAO!

She was changing direction, criss crossing, turning into him, stopping.. he'd pay attention long enough to see which direction she was going and then he was off again. LOL So it's not just me.. he's a stubborn mule. :D

She suggested a head collar, but she didn't have one that fit him so I couldn't try it out. :( I think I might just buy one.. since you all are having good luck with them. It's worth a try.  ;)

Offline GabesMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 04:23:29 am »
Hi..I got Gabe a GL because I am so much smaller then him.  He worked well.  And now we just use his collar.  The only time we break it out now is when we are out and about with a lot of people or a whole lot of distractions.

He adores children to the point he will stop and stare them down and wait for them to come over and pet him.  It's almost sad when he doesn't get the pet he thinks he deserves.

But if we are trolling through the neighborhood (we too have gross neighbors, and I hate getting all slimed up when its cold out) we use it.  Again the kids.

Hope it helps.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 10:09:08 am »
What a helpful post! Thanks Krystal! :)
As we all know, with our big ones it's even more important to be able to gain control when necessary. I use the prong collar on Bear (a svelt 160lbs) and it has worked wonders! I admit to being apprehensive about it -- seems mean to poke him with those things! But right away I had less hoovering, charging, pulling... He's even starting to respond to voice command BEFORE I give the yank. And it really takes just the slightest jerk of the wrist. :) It used to be very stressful to walk Bear as he'd charge across the street at other dogs (aggressively, not to play) but now we can walk right by those other dogs - still across the street, mind you - but such an improvement.

I may try using the GL with Nakita (100lbs, super stubborn but easier to hold), with all these glowing reports. Question: Do you have to see a trainer to learn how to use it properly or does it come with sufficient documentation?

** modified 'cuz I can't spell  :P **
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:10:01 am by jennifer »
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 03:52:44 pm »
We have used a GL on Jake and now have one for Bailey. It was a immediate change for Jake. Bailey has become an acrobat. I have never seen any dog do so many somersaults. She is starting Rally classes in January so she has got to stop pulling when she is on the leash. I have about 8 weeks to get her to walk loosely on the leash and she is bull headed. She is always in a hurry to get some place. As far as training- once the GL is properly fit, the GL does the training- it is uncomfortable for them to pull, so they immediatley become civilized and walk properly.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 05:09:15 pm »
I use a prong collar for zoey, and it has worked wonders. Now that she is trained, we rarely have to make corrections - when she is wearing the collar, she knows to walk nicely. When she is wearing the pain buckle she will still pull me, but on the prong she is great
RIP former BPO

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 06:29:02 pm »
I have Thor on a Halti (like a gentle leader) and I love it!  The only time he listens on walks is when he has his on, otherwise it's take mommy for a drag.  Slowly this is starting to change thanks to me remembering how to teach loose leash walking lol.  Thor gets excited when he sees it because he knows that when he gets that put on he's going to "his" store aka Petsmart, or going to the dog park.  I think they're a wonderful thing.
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 11:05:06 am »
i just bought one on sunday as ozzy was turning walks into a nightmare.  what a difference, he has not pulled once since i have used it this week.  i thought maybe i brought the wrong dog home from the pet store!! lol. why i waited so long is beyond me??  they are great!!!! patti