Author Topic: Turkey is home!  (Read 12822 times)

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • When There's A Will, There's A Way
Re: Turkey is home!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 02:22:43 pm »
Aww, I'm so glad Miss Turkey is home!  Turkey, you'd better behave yourself, those stitches and staples are in there for your own good, Missy!

I agree with everyone, though, if she were to need an amputation (which we hope it doesn't come to that!) she will adjust just fine.  I've got a friend with a three-legger (he is missing a front leg) and he gets around very well.

I always say that God gave dogs and cats four legs so they could have a spare.

Emily and the gang

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 05:44:13 pm »
Thanks so much, you guys. :) I am feeling a little better tonight after spending some time in the crate (yes- in the crate!) with Turkey. She is pepping up a bit, but let me tell you she is mad about that cone! :D I took her outside for a potty break, and every time she is able to take a peepee I am thankful!!!! I cannot express how scared I was that she would lose control of her bodily functions. The fact that her internal organs are all intact is just so reassuring to me. And her new stitches look fantastic, I am so thankful that we were able to get that fixed up.

However, the swelling in her leg is just crazy. Her leg is huge. I just don't know how I can help bring it down. The only way we will know if she still has nerve function is for the swelling to go down! :-[ But I guess I am not doing anyone any good by worrying! I did buy some arnica cream which Nicole suggested for swelling and bruising, so hopefully that will make a difference.

I'm sorry I have been a wreck this week and haven't been able to contribute much to the board other than freaking out about Turkey! This has been one of the hardest weeks of my life! I can't wait for Will to get home so I can just sleep for two days straight!!!! ;)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 01:28:42 pm »
Oh my goodness! Poor Turkey! well how is she doing right now? Is she resting peacefully? Nonsense, Rebekah. You just tell us everything there is to know about that little girl otherwise we'll all worry and have nervous breakdowns too!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 01:42:26 pm »
Rebekah, as about massaging the leg.  I know in rehab for swelling we would do what is called a retrograde massage, pushing the fluid back, from the foot to the knee, etc.  I know elevation is impossible for her, but maybe if you massaged the leg that would get the fluid moving and it would also help with nerve stimulation.  It's worth a shot!  Good luck!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 01:50:32 pm »
I don't have any good advice for you on how to help her leg out except maybe give her access to a heating pad set on low.  That might help relieve some of the discomfort in the leg.  I'm so sorry that both you and Turkey are going through this.  Big hugs to both you and Turkey.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 02:40:09 pm »
Hmmm... elevation.... I thought about that for a brief moment today. I will give it a shot.

As for massaging, I don't think I can do it. I tried to do some acupressure to the swollen leg today, and where I pressed down, well, it stayed pressed down after I let go. Her leg feels like clay underneath the skin. It is giving me the creeps. I am going to ask Will to check with his dad about it tonight when I talk to him on the phone. *heebie*jeebies*

Other than that, she is in a much better mood today. I gave her a break from the cone and she went right back to chewing on the incision. What the heck is she thinking?? No more breaks from the cone!!!
Also today I had her out in the yard for some fresh air since the weather was so nice. Some of my neighbors were outside talking and when she heard them she got totally freaked out and started booking it towards the back door!!! :o I had to grab her to keep her from trying to run!!! She was wobbling all over the place and it scared the bejesus out of me!!!

Ohhhhh Turkey. ::)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 03:12:01 pm »
I'm not sure if you can, but are you allowed to ice her leg? that usually helps with keeping the swelling down.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 06:08:47 pm »
I'm not sure if you can, but are you allowed to ice her leg? that usually helps with keeping the swelling down.

Nina

Actually, the vets suggested to me that I put a heat pack on it! :o That doesn't seem to make sense to me! But I'm not the one who went to vet school!!!

The swelling seems to have gone down a *little* bit. I'm hoping to see some more improvement tomorrow!!!!

Ya gotta love a good cone shot. ;)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 06:10:19 pm »
And Kathryn suggested heat too! Who knew? I guess I should try heat!! 8)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 04:01:12 am »
Holly's explanation is how I remember it too.  But it has been a long time since I worked in the field. 

I wonder if you wore gloves to massage her leg. Cloth or perhaps gardening gloves. The gloves may help with the feeling that is giving you the willies.

Gloves! Heebie-jeebie protection gloves!!! I LOVE IT!!! :D :D :D

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2006, 06:59:36 am »
Awww Turkey, you are such a beautiful girl...
Rebekah, she will pull through, I wish I knew more about the subject to help Turkey out, but I don't. Can you email me your address, I would like to send Turkey a little something, since that is all I can do from here!! Please give her hugs ad kisses from me!!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 06:36:12 pm »
Update on Turkey!
 :) She is feeling pretty good lately! The swelling in her back leg has gone down completely. I am so relieved. She's still not using the leg, but I didn't expect her to try yet. Sometime soon we'll be getting some new ex-rays to see how everything is healing in there. I am no longer afraid of her losing the leg. I think it's all going to heal up. She is one strong girl. :)

The crate time is getting to her! And she hates the cone! But she is being such a good girl. My friend let me borrow a sling to help her walk around and it has made potty breaks so much easier. She is being such a trooper.
 ;D

My sweet and beautiful little girl.

Nicole

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 03:43:24 am »
Oh, Rebekah!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I must laugh a little at how peeved she looks, but that's a good thing! That attitude will get her through! She looks like she's healing up nicely. I'm glad to hear it!

Anakalia

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 07:10:36 am »
YAY Turkey!!  I'm so glad she's getting better, she looks a little miffed in the pic, but she's so dang adorable!  Getter better soon Turkey!  :-*

chaosndestruction

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 08:42:31 am »
yay you can do it Turkey!!!

HAHAH she looks pissed in that last picture. I can only imagine what she was thinking!!!