Author Topic: Suggestions on a dog gate for a Saint????  (Read 5715 times)

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Suggestions on a dog gate for a Saint????
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:49:08 am »
Hello BPOers.
I am hosting a party at my home this Sat. And since it is pretty much winter already in OHIO. I cant leave Will and Grace outside. I wanted to keep them in one bedrooom because I'm not sure everyone would mind the slobber and begging for food??? Anyone have any suggestions on a good dog/baby gate that will be strong enough to hold if my Saint jumps on it? (she's only 105 lbs) Thanks so much. Im stressing out about it....  ???

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on a dog gate for a Saint????
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:59:36 am »
We have two that attach to the walls that hold up to a 130 lb Saint bouncing on it as well as my two turkies.  We got them both at Petco and they're plastic but have held up. We didn't have as much luck with the ones that don't attach cause they can knock them out of the door jam and do more damage then attaching them does.

Here's the one we have for the regular size doorframe
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_5953_PC_productlist_Nav_291_N_22+136+30+5060_sku_723339_familyID_8237.aspx

it can be a little bit of a pain to open and close though

Here's the one we have for the wider door
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_1372_PC_productlist_Nav_291_N_22+136+30+5060_sku_444669_familyID_5991.aspx
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 06:12:32 am »
Thank you! This helps out a ton! One more question.. when you say "bounce" do you mean actually jumping on top of it.. trying to get over it? This is what I know she will try to do at first (as well as my 50lb mix. Thank you for replying. :)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:17:13 am »
Katie the Saint did succeed in climbing over the shorter one but she is fairly agile and determined.  Kali jumps up and stands on both so we can hear her bark better  ::).  She looks like a black bear about to attack. And Kali and Lacey which would be equivalent to your two have stood on both together and bounced sideways off of them.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:28:37 am »
LOL :D Thanks. Sounds like they hold up good. I have no idea if Saint Gracie would be able to jump over it. She tries to jump the fence in the back yard so who knows ??? Guess all I can do is try and see :) Thanks again.

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 06:34:39 am »
We have this one. So far it has stood up the best. It is metal, so they can't chew it and crack it like Rosie did to our plastic one. I like it too b/c it has a gate within itself--makes easier access in and out of a room, without having to throw your leg over a gate.It holds back our rotti, Vizsa & weim at least for now...lol You can get extension for it as well dpending on your door size.
Good Luck and have fun at your party ;D

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000FOAFS8/sr=1-5/qid=1161883910/ref=sr_1_5/104-1193854-0115145?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=16342621
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:35:38 am by Icerotti »

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:53:44 pm »
Riley used to jump the large gates, so I stacked a small one on top of it when I babygated them. Then I stopped once he got bigger (too heavy to bother to jump, I suppose), and just used the big gate. Now, I just use a small gate. He can practically walk over it, but he doesn't bother. They could both jump it easily, but Sadie knows better. Again, I think it's a laziness thing with Riley. I've been keeping them in my bedroom when I'm gone instead of the kitchen (got renters in two rooms of my house, so dragging their beds into the kitchen and having them camp out there doesn't work as well). Of course, they sleep on my bed all day and not theirs.

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 05:23:01 pm »
I went out and bought two of the $10 gates from Wal-mart and I stack them up on top of each other. They keep a lab mix and two great danes locked up. Moose weighs about 110 lbs or so and he throws himself against it. I've never had a problem with them.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 03:58:00 am »
Thanks for your input everyone. I bought a $35 one from Petco and it did fairly well for the party. My Saint knocked it down 2 times. But the laughing and screams from all the woman who have never seen a dog that big was worth it when she bolted down the cellar steps to see everyone! ;D ;D. Whoops....  :D

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 04:16:38 am »
Not sure where you plan to but up the gate but if it is in a door frame, put it on the inside, she shouldn't be able to bully her way though it(as the frame will hold it)raise it up enough so she cannot get over(or get 2)but not high enough she cannot get under. I can just imagine the looks on your guests faces :o good luck with your next party ;)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 10:08:45 am »
Good idea. thanks. She has made no attempt to jump over it so it really is just her knocking it over- i will try the inside door frame next time. Yeah- the guest faces were priceless. I just about peed my pants :D It did look exactly like this smiley  :o :o :o LOL! I love having a big dog- they are so entertaining.