Author Topic: Chapped Chin??  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Magoosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Chapped Chin??
« on: June 26, 2005, 07:23:13 am »
My Saint Magoo has redness on his chin and jowls. Does anyone know what this is from? He is not a big drooler but of course drools water all over his chin when he drinks. Am I just not wiping his chin enough? Or could it be partly because he sleeps with his chin on the floor and it may be irritating it? Anyone have any suggestions for geting rid of it? One of these days I will be able to post pictures.....I hope. Thanks for any info.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Chapped Chin??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:53:21 am »
My Saint Spotakiss has the same thing.I feed him Eukanuba.Earli er on the web site someone had said it has alot of beet in it.So Im thinking its caused by that.Shampooin g with the whitening shampoo should help.See if your food has beets in it.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 11:59:09 am »
Or could it be partly because he sleeps with his chin on the floor and it may be irritating it?

I think this is probably the main cause, especially if you have hard floors. We have hardwood floors and my saint Zoey likes to sleep on the cold floor instead of one of her multiple warm soft beds, so she has developed little red calluses on her front elbows, and the vet says it is from sleeping on hard floors. I just looked on the internet to see if it would cause the same thing on chins and here is a quote from a website I found about canine chin acne:

Some dogs are prone to developing infections on their chin and lips that closely resemble "teenage acne" in people. In fact, "acne" is what this disorder is usually called. The cause, however, is not adolescent hormone fluctuations, but repeated "bumping" of those stiff chin and lip hairs on objects such as chew toys, food dishes, and the ground itself, an action which not only inflames the hair follicles by driving those stiff hairs into them repeatedly, but may actually break off the individual hairs below the skin surface and rupture the hair follicles, releasing hair protein and other irritating follicle contents into the tissues under the skin. The hair follicle begins to "ooze," trying to expel the foreign material, and it becomes chronically infected secondarily, repeatedly discharging small amounts of bloody fluid from small nodules, each of which is at the base of a hair or where a hair used to be.

Does Magoo have a soft dog bed? Maybe that would help.

Good luck
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 03:50:16 pm »
Poor Magoo. I hope that he gets better soon. I must say though that I have never heard of dogs getting acne. I guess they are really furry humans after all.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Magoosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 04:36:07 pm »
Thanks for the info. He is going to be 1 year old on July 11th! Magoo has multiple beds to sleep on...including the couch but prefers mostly to sleep on the hard ceramic or hardwood floors.Even in his crate Magoo will push the padding away and sleep on the plastic. He is on Eagle Pack Holistic Adult food which probably does not have any beets, but I will check! Magoo is constantly chewing on toys, playing with his 3 other siblings, and drinking water so I guess that could be irritating it too. It does seem to bother him but it bothers me! Again thanks for the info and anymore you come up with......I knew if I posted the question here I would get some good responses.!

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 08:36:25 am »
My cousin's Dobie has acne on her chin.  They use a salve on it that they got from the vet.  It bleeds a bit but overall doesn't bother her too much. 

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 09:23:23 pm »
Magoosmom is this what your talking about?I got a good pic of Spotakiss.Hes like sleeping on the hard floor too.

Offline Magoosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 08:11:00 pm »
Yes!!! That's it!! Redness on the chin and lower "lips" like Spotakiss.

Offline billybooker

• Gnawer
  • Cocoa by the fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 07:42:16 pm »
Hi,
My dobe had acne on her chin quite bad and we used some panalog creme (I think) from the vet and were told to wash it with soap and water a few times a day, we were also told to use metal dishes and wash them regularly. None of this worked! I will tell you what did work-hand feeding. Do not use a dish at all to feed your dog for a few weeks or months. Your dog is probably slamming his chin into the bowl while eating and smashing food particles into it. Give hand feeding a try, it worked for me.
Jennifer W

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 10:04:52 pm »
Our Josh has the redness on his jowls and chin too.  Our vet (who takes care of a lot of giant breeds) says it's chapping because that area is always wet.  He said to put Desitin powder on it and try to keep it dry (an impossible task with a Saint).