Author Topic: 'Pet' puppy prices that breeders charge  (Read 8554 times)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
'Pet' puppy prices that breeders charge
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:17:54 am »
What would you pay for a pet puppy from a breeder?
Just curious to see what folks think is to much and
what is ok.

I'm talking about puppies from a breeder who tests and
shows but pups that cannot be shown.
Pet pups of a litter. I know it costs big bucks $
to show, test and vet bills.
What has me  ??? is with all the purebreds
in shelters out there and all needing rescue,
how can some breeders get big bucks for pet
quality pups?

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 'Pet' puppy prices that breeders charge
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 08:47:16 am »
I know for me personally.  When I decide to get another GSD, I will go to a breeder simply because of all the problems I had with Navarre.  Not that going with a breeder is a gaurantee of anything. I can say that my next dog will be a rescue, as Daphne was.  And who knows, maybe I will get another GSD as a rescue too, I just know that at the moment I would feel more secure going with a breeder.  Why others do it, I have no idea.  Some people just like to say that they have a "purebreed" that they got from a breeder.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 08:57:59 am »
I think that the difference between a "pet-quality" puppy and a dog at the shelter is simply that the "pet-quality" pup from the breeder is unshowable for whatever reason. It might be mismarked or something like that. The health assurances are still there, though. (Presuming your breeder does those screenings!)

I know what you're saying, but the breeders are offering security, like Navarre said.

Offline DoberBaby17

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 09:16:00 am »
My puppy (coming home Nov 19!) is a "pet" puppy from a breeder. I don't know if show dogs must be intact (not spayed/neutered), but it sounds to me like I'm paying a lower price for a "pet" puppy because I'm promising to have him neutered. Most prices I've seen for purebreds range between $800 and $1200. I'm sure it depends a lot on what breed you're looking for too.
Stacy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 09:16:18 am »
When I was looking for a Saint - there was no price difference between "pet quality" and "show quality".  Every registered Saint Bernard litter I asked about was $1800 CDN.  One breeder I spoke with told me that it was an agreed upon sum and that all registered pups in Ontario would be the same price.  Proved true for the ones I called about.  (BTW, Teddy is from BYB - not registered)
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 10:55:30 am »
We wanted a new puppy because we thought it would be easier to raise.  Rescues can come wth emotional issues that aren't apparent right off.  I know that a new puppy could have issues, but we thought it would be somewhat easier.  Plus, we loved the breed and it characteristic s.

We do, however, want to rescue when the time is right for an addition to our family.  We went to the shelter on Saturday and saw so many beautiful dogs that need homes, so we know rescuing needs to happen.  Plus rescues come to you with all the shots and fixed so you save a lot of money.

About the price...the funny thing was we found puppies for half of what we paid for Lucah, but for some reason we just didn't feel like those dogs would be a good fit for us.  But the day we met Lucah we knew he was coming home with us. Lucah's breeder didn't have a pet vs. show price.  She felt that all her puppies could have been shown and did an average price for all of them.  Basically we paid towards the top of the scale for Lucah...but he was worth it.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 04:56:55 pm »
Zoey and Dolly, which I'm pretty sure both came from byb, were both for less than $200. Dirt cheap for a Giant breed dog. Good thing too. That's all I could afford.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 06:28:16 am »
All of my dogs had always been rescues.  Several years ago, my last one had passed, and I was so broken hearted, I decided not to get another dog.  So, several years went by, and I finally felt ready for a dog, and did the research, etc. to see what breed fit our needs, and set out looking for rescues.  Unfortunately, there were no rescue mastiffs available in my area.  We would have had to travel several hundred miles, pay an adoption fee of $800 plus, and still have to wait til one came along that the rescue felt fit our needs.  So I did the next best thing... I started researching breeders who were involved in rescue.  I found one not far from us, and sent off an email asking for a rescue or special needs dog, and she eventually decided we were just what she was looking for to raise and love one of her 'breeder contract' girls.  We brought home Imani in December of 04.  After having her for almost a year, she emailed asking me to take a nine week old female on a breeder contract as well.  Since then, more rescue mastiffs have shown up in our area and in areas we were willing to drive to, and we are involved in breed rescue.  We adopted Jesse, and fostered Maggie, who was placed this past August.  This breeder's standard puppy price is $2500, of course all are tested and shown to championships before being considered for breeding.  Since then, Frankie has been rejected from the breeding program and has been spayed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:44:52 am by Imani's Mom »

Weedsport, NY

List

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 12:21:37 pm »
My fiance and I are on a waiting list for a Newfie. The breeder we're going through has the same price for all her puppies, just a different contract. They charge $1500 per pup. All the breeders a talked to charged either $1500 for their pups regardless of show or pet quality or with some breeders they charged $2000 for their show pups (and $1500 for pet).

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 01:01:56 pm »
well for memphis *dane* he was 1300... under no contracts, with his ears cropped...
for zero, he was 900 for full rights.  most bull terrier "pet" prices are anywhere from 800-1000. show is between 1200 and 2000...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~